Thread: Video game store closing..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video game store closing..

Anyone want a video game store in NJ or atleast a part-time job with one selling stuff on eBay?!

This guy I know wants to sell his business, but he doesn't want to just sell to anyone. He wants someone to keep running the same type of business. He sells used/new video games, systems, accessories, CD's, DVD's, and a bunch of other stuff.

He has two locations.. one is in a fleamarket booth on the weekends and one is a store.

He's looking for someone to list about 50 items a day on eBay for him and he'll pay you 10% of the profit. I think he's overpriced on some of his stuff, but here's some of the stuff I saw when I was in his store today (keep in mind I was in the one store not in the fleamarket location.. he has more there):

About 500 NES games, I would say under 50 of them were boxed. About 500 Genesis games, a lot of them are boxed. He's got a huge section on the wall of boxed ones, then bins with random crap on the floor. One of them is full of Genesis games and some Intellivision games, also some Atari 2600, 5200, and Odyssey. I would say he has about 300-500 2600 games. They're all in bins on the floor.. there's 4 of them. There were only 2 5200 games I saw (I didn't go through all the bins this time) Pac-Man and Berzerk.

Then he's got a section of old computer games and a few keyboards.

He's got about 4-5 Atari 2600's that I saw.. one of them was a 6-switch, but I wasn't sure how to tell if it was a heavy sixer.. it had no sticker on the bottom and didn't feel to weighty. He had a few 4-switchers.. including one in one of them cool plastic cases.. the one with the see-through top and the woodgrain bottom that holds games, accessories, system, etc. He had a few Jr's also, and a 5200. I don't recall seeing any 7800's. I also saw some Sega CD units. One was a Sega CD, one had a Genesis attached to it. Also saw a Sega Saturn.

THen he's got a thing full of joysticks.. 2600 (wico, gemstik, atari), some 7800 controllers, some pretty large Genesis ones.. they're like the "arcade fighting sticks". Oh he had an old NES one with an LCD screen on it that you can set features and program. It was called the Mega Pad or something. I was almost gonna buy it for $7.

He also had a bunch of Dreamcast games I didn't really look at. He had some 32x games and also some Jaguar games.. about 6 or 7 of them.

In the glass case up front he has about 40 or 50 multicarts for Gameboy Color. He sells them for too high a price or I'd have bought one. His Wife told me he imports them and I said I can get them for like $30 or $40.

Behind that counter are some adult DVD's I think and some more random stuff.

He's also got a bunch of CD's, DVD's, VHS concerts, some musical instruments, etc. Oh and he's got a bunch of those "Power Player" games.

Not a bad store, but overpriced if you ask me on a lot and I don't think you'll find any "holy grail" items in there. I've been through his Atari bins in the past and got some stuff. He's still got a Pooyan and some other decent things. He has a chip on it that says Mattel or M Network I forget. He wants $2.99. I was almost tempted to get it just to see what it was.

I haven't been to his fleamarket store in awhile, but last time I was there he had another bin of 2600/old games, had a 2600, some other systems, adapters to convert foriegn games to US, and a crapload of games.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Whew,this sounds like someone I know..

Where in New Jersey..?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad that he's in NJ. I would love a job eBaying video games for other people - I do it for myself and managed to get silver level powerseller and 2000+ feedback. However, depending on the value of the items, 10% may not be enough to entice serious eBayer sellers (though it depends on what exactly he wants).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwillis
    However, depending on the value of the items, 10% may not be enough to entice serious eBayer sellers (though it depends on what exactly he wants).
    I agree. If you take in the ebay charges, the paypal charges, the time you spend taking pictures of the items, writing descriptions, handling etc. etc. 10% is not that much. I assume most stuff he wants to get rid of is common/uncommon. Unless he intends to sell big value items, 10% is really not that much for all the time it is going to take. I once sold around 500 items on ebay and that took a few hours a day for almost 4 weeks (administrative tasks, making packages, going to post-office. etc). Also the testing before the auctions took a lot of time.

Also, a small word of warning. If someone is going to sell for a 3rd party, make sure you either use their ebay account and contact information or make sure you get the items you have to sell in *your* posession before the auction starts. I have heard too many stories about people selling stuff for 'friends' who suddenly pulled out after the auction ended, leaving the seller with a negative and other problems...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, 10% is crap... maybe not to bad if you list and ONLY list. If you have to keep up with the emails most eBay morons ask you, I'd do it for no less than 25%. Mind you -- I had corner on the Ebay import market for about 18 months. Believe me, it can be work.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well who knows.. maybe it'll be 10% plus eBay listing fees. No clue.

Oh yeah I never did say what store it is.. I don't know the name (how convient, eh?!) but it's in the Route 18 fleamarket in East Brunswick, NJ and his other location is on Route 18 North down a little further from the fleamarket. He's in the Record Setter's old building.

He had a website in the works, but it was never completed. He decided to go back to his country and his son can attend school there.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Dang it, out of my area of NJ. Shame he didn't have a booth at the Dover flea market, I'd be all over it.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by yuppicide
    Well who knows.. maybe it'll be 10% plus eBay listing fees. No clue.

Oh yeah I never did say what store it is.. I don't know the name (how convient, eh?!) but it's in the Route 18 fleamarket in East Brunswick, NJ and his other location is on Route 18 North down a little further from the fleamarket. He's in the Record Setter's old building.

He had a website in the works, but it was never completed. He decided to go back to his country and his son can attend school there.
    I already knew who you were talking about when you said 'flea market and store' in NJ. He had a place built into a Roy Rogers in Rte 1, right?

No offense, but that guy's prices are not based in reality. If he expects the same prices off of eBay, then whoever signs onto this is basically going to be listing stuff no one will bid on. Tell him I'll buy all his sealed SNES games for $5 a piece. (Wouldn't be the first time I tried doing that, heh)