Thread: Game series with the best games on the older consoles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game series with the best games on the older consoles

Name series that have the best games of the series on the older consoles. You maybe know that I use every possibility to bitch about the new Zelda or Metroid games because I like their old style better. But this time this is not what I mean.

I want you to name games that are better on the old systems but from a neutral point of view. Sounds confusinge? I'll give you an example: Dino Crisis!

I got Dino Crisis 3 for the X-Box and first I was amazed. The graphics look great, the intro sequence nearly blow me off the chair. But then the game itself started and I was shocked again, but not in a good way... The controlls were very bad, somehow the auto-aim was not working for me and it couldn't shoot any dinos. And the camera angels were even worse. You are running around and from one second to another the whole perspecitve changed, not exactly what I'm looking for when I'm right in a fight. Anyway, I've found some reviews and the game got mostly mediocre or bad comments. Yesterday I've bought the first Dino Crisis game for the PS1 and it handels much better. The controlls are better and it's damn easy do aim at the dinos. I really love this game now!

So, do you know any gaming series that also have the better games on the old consoles?
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Game series with the best games on the older consoles

So, you're talking about games that are available for current-gen consoles, then. Well, some would argue that Metroid is better on old consoles...and hell, isn't Super Metroid what it's all about anyway? I'd say so! Ditto for Contra. Actually, you've scared me off from coming up with any others, since I'm not quite sure where your cutoff is.

Well...Crash Bandicoot. The original games were awesomeness, now it's just kinda...well.

For Dino Crisis...well, it seems like you've spotted exactly the same problem that every game reviewer did. I'll have to pick it up sometime, but I'm not expecting much.

And for an off-the-wall submission...I like SNK's (barely) pre-Neo Geo shooter Genshi-Tou 1930's/Prehistoric Isle in 1930 quite a bit. I'm not sure how the "newer" one stacks up to it, but...I'll hold judgement until I know more about that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also like Metroid way better on the NES and S-Nes than on the Cube (same goes for Contra and other games). That's why I decided to make a thread about games that are better on old consoles from an objective point of view, and not because it's a question of taste. Because I always rant that the old games are better than the new ones.

Sure, game ratings sometimes don't tell the whole truth about games, so even the objective point may not be very objective... But my cutoff is not that straight, just list the games that YOU think that fit this category, as long as you give a reasonable point about it I'm fine with it!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ridge Racer and Wipeout are all but dead to me. Ridge Racer died the day Rave Racer came out (though I did somewhat enjoy that) and Wipeout has had its fifteen minutes of fame if Fusion is anything to go buy. I'm not buying a PSP to rekindle my love for these games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsu
    I also like Metroid way better on the NES and S-Nes than on the Cube (same goes for Contra and other games). That's why I decided to make a thread about games that are better on old consoles from an objective point of view, and not because it's a question of taste. Because I always rant that the old games are better than the new ones.
    Well, of course Contra is better on the NES and SNES than on the Cube because there is no Contra on the cube.

I don't really understand what you're asking. At first, I thought you were not looking for game series that had a drastic change in the gameplay by going from 2D to 3D, such as Castlevania (which was better in 2D IMHO), but now I don't know. How can someone say something is "better" and have it be objective? Even if it's an opinion that is widely held (as I would assume it would be for Castlevania), isn't it still just an opinion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that the question is a bit difficult, that's why I'm not getting angry when you also name games like Contra (btw. I know there is no Contra game on the Cube, but two in the PS2, that's what I'm talking about). But the major issue I wanna talk about is games like Dino Crisis. The gameplay didn't change much but the controlls and all got worse even if the newer games of a series are available on newer consoles that have the better technic. See what I mean?

Of course this is also based on personal opinions. Maybe (just an example, that's not my personal opinion) you like the old Resident Evil games better than the new ones, even if the gameplay hasn't changed that much. Then say it and also tell us why!

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When I saw the title of this thread, I IMMEDIATLY thought Final Fantasy.

Really, graphics/gameplay wise it doesn't change that much, it's still a turn based RPG. But man... FFVI v. FFX? Not a contest.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, objectivly thinking and tastes are the same thing basicly, just opinions....so yea the question doesn't make much sense.

However I feel the same way about the FF series. The NES and SNES ones are much better. Better stories, better memories, yadda yadda. Now 7 wasn't bad, but I didn't have the drive to complete it. FFT was excelent I thought, but the story sucked. The game mechanics alone are worth playing it for. Now FF:CC, ugh, just ugh....

Also they seem to switch characters too much, whats wrong with doing a sequal? I think one is out now, but its of a later game. Blah.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic 2 > Any 3D next-gen with a gun and too many damn buddies/friends/teams...yada yada

Ghouls N Ghosts > Maximo (Don't get me wrong, the game is sweet, but I want Arthur damn it!)

FF4-5-6 > Any other, which I will strongly agree, the SFC/SNES games are top notch by far.

Dragon Warrior 1-6 > DW7....Thanks to Daria, she's really shown me what DW5 and 6 were like, and all I gotta say is "Damn we got screwed!"

CastleVania 2D > CastleVania 3D. No contest there, you just can't touch CastleVania 3, Dracula X, CastleVania Bloodlines, and Super CastleVania 4.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    Yea, objectivly thinking and tastes are the same thing basicly, just opinions....so yea the question doesn't make much sense.

However I feel the same way about the FF series. The NES and SNES ones are much better. Better stories, better memories, yadda yadda. Now 7 wasn't bad, but I didn't have the drive to complete it. FFT was excelent I thought, but the story sucked. The game mechanics alone are worth playing it for. Now FF:CC, ugh, just ugh....

Also they seem to switch characters too much, whats wrong with doing a sequal? I think one is out now, but its of a later game. Blah.
    I don't think that objective thinking and stateing opinion is allways the same thing (it can be but it doesn't have to be). Sure the line between those two are very thing but there is a difference. For example with Metroid: I don't think Metroid is a bad game. It's just not my style. Dino Crisis on the other hand is a bad game because it has some bad stuff in it, it also got bad ratings. See the difference? Sure, it is not a big difference but there is one. Both of those statements are based on a personal opinion, but one is objective (Metroid) and one not so much. My non objective opinion about Metroid would be that I think it sucks that they changed the game so much and that I don't like it. Get the difference? I'm sorry that I can't explain it any better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm with Adam on this...Final Fantasy 6 (as cliche' as it sounds) was the apex of Square's flagship series. As much as I loved 7, I could tell there was something wrong when I kept seeing FMV every 4 minutes. 8,10,10-2, and 12 are were/all the same shitty game, with different outfits on the players. 9 was gentle little poke to let me know Square's dead baby, Square's dead.

Ridge Racer died with me after playing Ridge Racer 5. They need to remake Rage Racer, and only Rage Racer, on the XBox 2. GOD I miss making my own decals and billboards.

I guess for me it's not so much *which* series didn't keep the love, it's which series never got the next -gen love. I want to know where my Weapon Lord II, Duck Hunt II, Strider III, Brunswick Pro Bowling III (I MISS YOU ADRENILINE!), Streets of Rage 4, a REAL FREAKING Ninja Turtles game that doesn't suck ass, and last but not least, games like JB Harold Murder Club and Blue Chicago Blues are?

I am a sad little puppy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shvnsth
    PSN
    shvnsth
    Steam
    shvnsth

this thread makes no sense to me

so your looking for games that got worse latter on in the series?
    Formerly known as "umich."

collection/buy/sell: https://tinyurl.com/shvnsth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I think that F-Zero was at its best when it first appeared on the Super Nintendo. It is STILL my all-time favorite racing game, and I'm including the next-generation systems with real 3-D, not fake 3-D with Mode-7 effects. F-Zero on SNES is a pure racer that can put you in a zen-like state if you let it.

F-Zero X for the Nintendo 64 is a superb game in its own right, but it's not as good as the first game. Don't get mw wrong... it's my favorite N64 racer bar none (as F-Zero is for the SNES) but given a choice I'd pick the first one.

Obviously, F-Zero GX for the 'Cube is the best-looking game of all, and it plays like a dream. This game is FAST! There's just one problem, and it's a big one... this game is too bloody HARD. I mean, all the F-Zero's have been tough to master (especially the later courses) but this one is just out-of-this-world hard. I think the difficulty prevents even a seasoned F-Zero man like myself from enjoying it, and therefore makes it less enjoyable than the first two console games.

The Game Boy Advance games F-Zero Maximum Velocity and F-Zero GP Legend play very similarly and are very much like the SNES game in terms of overall look. Obviously, it's hard to compare these games to the SNES classic when they are on a handheld, but that's what the GBA player for the 'Cube is for. Yet neither game is as good as the original SNES game... they don't look as good on the bigger screen (obviously a symptom of being blown to fill a TV screen), they don't handle as well as the original, and they are both harder than they should be.

Dammit! There's one I haven't played (at least how it was meant to be played... those SNES emulators still aren't great.) F-Zero 2: Grand Prix was available for download on Japan's Satellaview system but was never made available on a cart. It supposedly had 4 new vehicles that were rendered in a Donkey Kong Country sort of way. There was also a new track and a shadow car that showed the best route. I'll bet it was the best F-Zero of them all!

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by umich

Exaxtly. As I said, I can't explain it any better but most people seem to get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by umich

makes sense to me... some of the games didn't even get BAD... they just weren't as great as the originals.

Check out Donkey Kong 3 and 64, or the original Castlevania compared to the N64 ones.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

SMB64 > SMB Sunshine
    LoZ:Ocarina of Time > Loz:Windwaker
    precrash Pitfall! Games > any later Pitfall Games
    Driver > any Driver sequel
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final fantasy games. I really do not like X, X-2, and FFXII looks to be changing the style of what made FF games great in the first place.

Resident evil games on PSX always creeped the hell out of my, probably becuase the graphics were more dark and grainier.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default downhill

AhhChoo!

One game comes to mind. Toejam and Earl. The first is excellent and the second is only so so but after the long wait for number III I was sadly dissappointed and even took the game back.

VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

This thread was absolutely MADE for the Sonic series. Sonic 2, Sonic CD and especially Sonic 3 & Knuckles are so immensely superior to the later Sonics- even the Advance games and especially the adventure/heroes games- that it's as if Sonic Team simply had a seizure one night.

Probably came after they finished the masterpiece that is NiGHTS. I'm now thankful they haven't remade it, if they'd remake it like the SA games.