Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ColecoVision Store Display P.O.P. Kiosk

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ColecoVision Store Display P.O.P. Kiosk

As some of you may already know, I now own possibly the rarest, and most definately the largest piece of ColecoVision history ever created, the ColecoVision Store Display P.O.P. Kiosk.

I recently won this item from an Ebay auction and drove 1200 miles round trip this past weekend to pick it up in New York from the original owner after he won it from a Toys 'R Us in the early 80's. He got it after winning a high score contest that the store ran for Zaxxon.

When I stopped by his house to look at it the night before I was going to load it up, I was stunned. The display is absolutely enornmous. Standing just shy of 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide this thing is a monster. Everything on the unit is beautiful with the only exception being some chrome trimming that I'll need to replace. The lower half of the display has two lockable sliding doors for storage, which I actually have the key for. Also, and most unbelieveably, I also have the instruction manual for assembly for the unit.

So now the Digital Press's Rarity Guide description stating:

"A large arcade machine display placed in stores back in the day. Cards from the displays have turned up… is a full size display out there?"

can be changed to:

"A large arcade machine display placed in stores back in the day. Cards from the displays have turned up, and DP member DoubleDownOn11 owns a complete unit."

Here's some pics of the unit still intact as it had been in the original owner's home for the last 22 years, after I do a litle work to it, cleaning and what not, and I modify my basement to accomodate the unit I'll post some new ones.

If any of the moderators here would like a new description for the Rarity Guide, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

www.VikingVideoGames.com
    Home of the Mini ColecoVision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that is freaking beautiful
    www.worldofgamespublishing.com
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mother of Ico that thing is huge

Not to mention, a rather brilliant idea by Coleco to market a system 'with arcade like graphics' in a huge arcade-like cabinet.

I can't tell from the pics, but is there / was there some sort of plastic overlay to protect the system and game in the middle? I can't believe people would just leave it alone like that if it were in the open.

Beautiful find, I wanna see pics once you're done restoring it!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by World Of Games
    Agreed! The only thing that I don't like is that the arcade style controllers are set up for left-handed play, joystick on the right, and buttons on the left. I may modify so that it has the joystick on the left and the buttons on the right, the way it should be. I haven't decided yet.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    Mother of Ico that thing is huge

Not to mention, a rather brilliant idea by Coleco to market a system 'with arcade like graphics' in a huge arcade-like cabinet.

I can't tell from the pics, but is there / was there some sort of plastic overlay to protect the system and game in the middle? I can't believe people would just leave it alone like that if it were in the open.

Beautiful find, I wanna see pics once you're done restoring it!
    No. There wasn't any cover for the console at all. Not to say there never was one, but Ben didn't have it, and he never remembered it when he saw it at the store. So I believe that Coleco didn't make one for it.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doubledownon11
    Agreed! The only thing that I don't like is that the arcade style controllers are set up for left-handed play, joystick on the right, and buttons on the left. I may modify so that it has the joystick on the left and the buttons on the right, the way it should be. I haven't decided yet.
    Notes:
    1) that thing is insane. If you ever want some people killed......let me know, because i'll kill the whole friggin army to get my hands on that thing.
    2) Yeah, I'd definitely modify the controls. Left handed, wtf?! That's what makes me angry about the SMS sticks.
    3)yeah, that's definitely 80s..leaving the system and game sitting on top in the open like that!
    4) I can't quite see, where is the pedal for the turbo wheel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OH MY GOD. That is truly the coolest thing I've seen for ages. AMAZING find!!!

Any chance of more close-up photos?
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamino
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledownon11
    Notes:
    1) that thing is insane. If you ever want some people killed......let me know, because i'll kill the whole friggin army to get my hands on that thing.
    2) Yeah, I'd definitely modify the controls. Left handed, wtf?! That's what makes me angry about the SMS sticks.
    3)yeah, that's definitely 80s..leaving the system and game sitting on top in the open like that!
    4) I can't quite see, where is the pedal for the turbo wheel?
    As you can see in the picture on the left side above the controller where there is nothing there is a double depth molding. The smaller, deeper molding within the larger molding is for ColecoVision brochures, like the ones that came with the system. The larger, not as deep molding would hold the Driving Module and possibly the Roller Controller, haven't tried that for fit yet. The pedal I would assume would just be placed on the floor by store personnel or the customer. I may do something about that though so it looks more stock and not just laying there.

I'll keep the "offer to kill" in mind, you never know when you might need something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayer
    OH MY GOD. That is truly the coolest thing I've seen for ages. AMAZING find!!!

Any chance of more close-up photos?
    I just got it home last night. I can post some upclose pics of all of the graphics and controllers, but it's gonna be a while untill I get it completely refurbished and modded to my liking and of course tear down a small section of drop ceiling and notch out the floor joists so that it will fit in my gameroom/workshop.

I'll at least mod the console with "Intro Skip" BIOS, A/V, S-Video, and possibly Component video and digital audio outputs. Possibly a built in amplifier and speakers. Obiviously a nice new TV and modify the controllers. I might add a couple of extra buttons so they work with Super Action games too.

And in case anyone wants to buy this from me, you probably don't have enough money.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Saabmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goddamn, thats beautiful
    Ponce De Leon,
    Constantly on,
    The fountain of youth,
    Not Robotron.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saabmeister
    Goddamn, thats beautiful
    Yes it is. It really...really...is.
    Thanks.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Man That is Sweet!!..Congratulations!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really thought that it would have sold for a lot more than it did, but I assume the size and weight contributing to the shipping costs deterred some potential buyers. The guy I bought it from did tell me about quite a few calls/e-mails that he got in attempt to end the auction early for a straight sale, you all know who you are. I'm glad he didn't though, I would have been pissed if after watching it for a few day that it was all of a sudden gone with a But It Now that never existed.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh dear lord!!! Its so beutifull !!!!!
    The pics literally took my breath away. That has to be one of the baddest Gails for any console of any time. I didnt think it could be possable, but it pales the other store displays by FAR.

Oh Coleco....
    Support Medical Marijuana

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    Oh dear lord!!! Its so beutifull !!!!!
    The pics literally took my breath away. That has to be one of the baddest Gails for any console of any time. I didnt think it could be possable, but it pales the other store displays by FAR.

Oh Coleco....
    "Come son of Dural, kneel before Zod!"

I wish I would have had Ben take a picture of me next to it. I'm 6'1", 220 lbs. and like I said it's just shy of 7', but it makes me look tiny. The picture really doesn't do it justice at all. It's a helluva lot bigger than it looks.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First: "Coooooooooooooooooooool."

Second: You know that you're a true collector when you say "I modify my basement to accomodate the unit" rather than "I modify the unit to fit in my basement."

Nicely done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious* *Envious*

That is just awesome!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tylerwillis
    First: "Coooooooooooooooooooool."

Second: You know that you're a true collector when you say "I modify my basement to accomodate the unit" rather than "I modify the unit to fit in my basement."

Nicely done.
    Half of my basement is finished, with carpeting on the floor and walls, and a drop ceiling. Currently that's where my gameroom/workshop is. I didn't do it, the previous owner did. Connected to that half is a small room finished exactly the same way, which was used by the last owner as a small recording studio. I think I may gut that room, and decorate (paint and decal) that room for it's new home. I've got some friends that own a sign shop that I can get some sweet graphics for cheap at.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woot congratulations on winning it ... I had my eyes on it too but shipping probably would kill ... I would love 2 own one someday .... But am glad it went into good hands ... I 100% remember that thing at my local payless drug store from back in 1982.... If anyone ever has one for sale in killifornia or near california let me know thanks ....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait...did you say colecovision COMPONENT VIDEO?!?!
    That's POSSIBLE?!!?
    /me faints....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A friend of a friend, owns a shipping company and he quoted me a "friend price" for shipping of around $400.00. I figure it cost me around $325.00 - $350.00 to personally pick it up. Getting to meet the guy who owned it for the last 22 years was worth it though. We talked for about an hour and a half the night before I picked it up. He had told me that after he went to college and moved out, his mother had requested that he get that "monstrosotity" out of her house, by any mens necessary. Fortunately for me and the preservation of ColecoVision history he didn't. Funny enough she did happen to call that night I was there to talk to him, and he had mentioned to her that there was a guy there to buy and pay money for, the very item that she wanted him to throw away so many years ago.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com