Thread: Yin-Yang/Zen of Garage Sales

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yin-Yang/Zen of Garage Sales

Sorry if this is a long post ...

Ever had one of those day where you think "If I was only there 5 minutes earlier" feelings when garage saleing(sp?) ?

Mapped out through local paper 4 large community sales all within 5 minutes of each other.

Minor scores like video game stickers and books, when upon hitting the 4th sale, a box full, I mean full of SMS games and the system. Must have been like 20 boxed games, some rare ones like the Wonder Boy series.
    Saw the price tag .. "Sega Games $5 for the box"
    Only problem was someone (kid) was picking through the box and picking out games.

I could have at that point just paid the lady the $5 and said I'll take that box but I decided to wait. Of course the kid and that father approach the lady and said $15 for these 3, guess they though the $5 was per game. Lady replies, no, it is $5 for the box and then poof, all sold for $5

Of course I was steamed as I had my $ out to pay for it but decided to let them sort through it since they were there first.

What would you have done ? I played the polite Canadian and waited of course

Of course, I hit every single yard sale on the way home (usually skip and go for community sales, matter of # hits for the time spent) and ended up with a GB Color, original GB carry case and 5 empty card holders for $3 (all games and other systems were sold earlier here too ~_*) and a C64 system with 1541 and 1702 for $5. Guess good things come to those who wait

Still thinking of that SMS system and games but I see how happy the kid and father was for that deal. All the best for them !

Next weekend awaits !

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes been there and done that too! It's really difficult sometimes not being rude.... but that is always when you miss out on something great. Seems like garage sales are one of the last bastions of the good deal. I was at a Value Village this weekend- noticed they had 4 Gen decks(only) at 12.99 and a Nes deck with 1 joystick control and no cords for 19.99- what is this world coming to??
    Hopefully I can hit a few good garage sales this year to make it worthwhile!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Yeah it sucks but you gotta extend the same politeness you would expect from someone coming on your find 2nd.

Id be tempted to rush in front of them and offer the 5 bux but gotta admit if someone did it to me they might get elbow dropped.

You did the right thing.

Probably the kid already had the system if he only wanted a couple games shoulda talked to him and his dad got the stuff they didnt want for a good deal...not as good as the 5 bucks for all but still.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default ya never know.

Yes

I have to admit my best finds lately have been getting in the car on a sat morning and driving through all the local neighborhoods. You never know when you will find that minty fresh game. It's prolly about time to start picking up PS1's and a box of games for $10

Only drawback is I just realized I have 6 model 1 genesis units. I just can't pass em up..

VJ

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Sometimes I just have to be rude..yelling $50.00 for the Box..

I'm not usually rude but,sometimes when I really want something x_x

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NESVIDIOT
    Yes been there and done that too! It's really difficult sometimes not being rude.... but that is always when you miss out on something great. Seems like garage sales are one of the last bastions of the good deal. I was at a Value Village this weekend- noticed they had 4 Gen decks(only) at 12.99 and a Nes deck with 1 joystick control and no cords for 19.99- what is this world coming to??
    Yep, garage sales are the best, in the 3 hrs of Sat morning, I can find more deals than VV in a year.
    VV used to be good, keeping their sets together but now I see they strip a system apart and sell each piece separately .. and prices have gone up .. inflation I guess

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    Yeah it sucks but you gotta extend the same politeness you would expect from someone coming on your find 2nd.

Id be tempted to rush in front of them and offer the 5 bux but gotta admit if someone did it to me they might get elbow dropped.

You did the right thing.

Probably the kid already had the system if he only wanted a couple games shoulda talked to him and his dad got the stuff they didnt want for a good deal...not as good as the 5 bucks for all but still.
    Yeh I don't feel bad, I know the kid wanted some of them as they had the system (heard him and dad talk) and they mentioned to the lady that their system is dying so all is well.

I had the same thought as you, offer to buy some of the games they didn't need/want but by the time my head cleared, they already left and I was down the street at another part of the community sale.

I do hope I get the same courtesy next time if the roles were reversed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well while reading your post I was steaming myself. If something like that had happened to me I would have been furious, but there is no way i would but in and take them from someone already looking at them.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

I would have went up to the lady as the kid was looking at them and give her the 5 bucks, then pick up the box and leave. Seriously, if it was NEO GEO with 25 games for that much, would you risk the chance of some kid getting them? I know I sure as hell wouldnt.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually muscle my way up next to the person and check out what they are looking at. Sometimes people get butt-hurt, but usually they are not serious about buying the games I want anyway. I have yet to compete with a game collector, though. That would probably end badly :/
    Support Medical Marijuana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by NESVIDIOT
    haha! i was at that value village too! (10133-34th) im actually the one that stuck the joystick controller into the player 1 slot :P. there was also tetris for nes for 3.99 and a few atari games when i went, but nothing worth buying. some chick did have an original ps1 with nothing for 19.99 in her hands too... man edmonton sucks lately