Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever play holographic Time Traveller??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ever play holographic Time Traveller??

Last night at Bookman's, I found a port of an odd arcade game you may remember, Time Traveller.
    The game is playable on a DVD player, and is advertised as "PS2 compatible". I had heard about these games, but I had never actually seen one before. It was supposed to include 3D glasses, but they were missing. For $5, I guess I can't complain, though.

I remember first trying this bizzaro game at the Gold Mine arcade as a kid. It's strange 3D graphics reminded me of the chessboard scene from Star Wars, and I'm sure I spent more tokens on it than I probably should have. The odd white "Buck Rogers" design and the unique imaging system really drew me in.

Does anybody else have recollections of seeing this game for the first time?

The DVD game is made by Digital Leisure, and I found the company's website. In addition to Time Traveller they also manufacture many versions of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Kingdom. Mad Dog McCree, and other FMV-type games. You can also see "screenshots" of the actors in their cheesy Time Traveller costumes.
    http://www.digitalleisure.com/

Wow, I hadn't thought about this game in years....
    It's only a game if you PLAY it!

Cherry (Level 1) atari_overlord's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A friend of mine purchased one of these machines from a guy in Pittsburgh last year. He brought it back in a pickup and it was broken from too much movement in transport. I wanted to play it again so bad.What awesome machine design. Did they make any other similar hologram games? I will get my hands on one some day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

When I was at Bud Gardens probably ten years ago they had a Time Traveler machine set-up downstairs in the museum part of the tour. Not sure if it was a special "Budweiser" themed machine or not, it didn't seem to be at the time (but otherwise why the hell would it be there?). At any rate, it kept me from appreciating the rich history of Budweiser beer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it'd be really interesting to see if anybody has one of these in their home arcades.

Here's a link to a review of the DVD version, which includes a bunch of valuable info about the game. I remember trying to touch the holograms, too!

http://www.gamenationtv.com/reviews/timetraveler.shtml
    It's only a game if you PLAY it!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember playing that in an arcade set up at our local yearly fair years and years ago. Weren't you a cowboy or at least fight a cowboy at one point in the game?
    www.VikingVideoGames.com
    Home of the Mini ColecoVision

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Yes, I got to play it once as well. The Trocadero arcade centre in London (most people in the UK should know this place, it is also home to one of the few surviving G-Loc 360 full rotating cabinets) had one for a short time. I believe they sent it back because it was notorious for breaking down. Or maybe the patrons were just not gentle enough for it :P

Can't really remember anything about playing it on sadly, only that I did.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The-Bavis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ChuckleFutz

It took me a minute to realize what you were talking about. I think I mainly remember it being turned up way too loud. Too loud for an arcade, even.
    The-Bavis

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember this game , it had some really bad acting in it. But it was kind of a neat game at the time.

"Much like Rick Dyer's other games (Dragon's Lair and Space Ace), Time Traveler repeatedly drops its hero into dangerous situations and you must, with lightning fast anticipation, chose the right response to get him out of the bind. That could mean turning to face an enemy, shooting them, ducking an obstacle, leaping out of the way, or simply choosing which of two potions to drink.

Sometimes there's a telltale blue flash to help you guess the right move, but not always. Some situations are harder than others with the difficult ones asking you to complete a succession of moves all at once. It's a high stakes game, one where if you make the wrong move, you lose a life. "

And yes your were like a cowboy.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I remember this game, mainly cuz it drove us nuts trying to beat it. Wasnt there some kind of Old west Gunfight in it and some Indians you had to kill?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

I loved playing the game at the arcade at the Disneyland Hotel. I was too young to realize that it wasn't a button-mashing action fest...

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always hated that game.

I wanted to like it. I think everyone involved with it wanted to like it too, which might account for the only reason it actually went into production. The gameplay is atrocious - there's no way it could have gone on test and received good feedback. I sort of look at it as the "Waterworld" of the arcade. Something that had so much time and money invested in it that by the end, they were determined to release it no matter how bad it was.

I like the idea behind it, and it was cool to see someone try out the whole hologram thing, but it's such a disaster on every level. Makes Mad Dog McCree look like Tempest.

There was one other game, Holosseum. It wasn't much better.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

Why does everyone rag on Waterworld? I never saw what was so bad about it.

Anyway. The main arcade at Canobie Lake Park in NH has had this machine since it came out. I remember it always being more expensive than other games...probably to recoup the cost of the unit...I think these babies were about 5 grand when they came out.

I remember the game basically being like Dragons Lairt, only shitty. A gimmick, really. I have always wondered what the ending is like. ANyone ever beaten it?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They had (I don't know if they still do) a Time Traveller at FunWorld in Brookfield for a long time. I might have to go back and see if it's still there.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow thats weird, i didnt know there were other gold mine arcades? we had one here too, but it closed down awhile ago. anyway, i remember they had a weird holographic fighting game there, it sucked really bad, but it was fun to look at, i actually wish i had one, it would be pretty neat to show friends, i think it might have even been made by sega too? im not sure.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I liked Time Traveller. I even bought it on DVD when it was released. The DVD is kind of tough to play because the reaction times are off, and the DVD will access when you try to hit a button...but it is kind of a dippy fun look back at an odd piece of VG history.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played both Time Traveller and Holoseum in the arcades back in the day.

Games were'n anyhting special, but the holo-effect was cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    I liked Time Traveller. I even bought it on DVD when it was released. The DVD is kind of tough to play because the reaction times are off, and the DVD will access when you try to hit a button...but it is kind of a dippy fun look back at an odd piece of VG history.
    I've heard that there are particular DVD players that have that timing issue, and particular DVD players that don't. Some website has a list of them.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: e

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Because it's the biggest money pit of all time. Whether one likes or dislikes the movie has nothing to do with the fact that it was a financial disaster. That's why.

Also, the movie is a complete piece of shit.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: e

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Because it's the biggest money pit of all time. Whether one likes or dislikes the movie has nothing to do with the fact that it was a financial disaster. That's why.

Also, the movie is a complete piece of shit.
    Although the movie was a borefest, it did actually end up making money believe it or not. As for Time Traveller, I did have the pleasure (or displeasure) of playing it way back in the the day. Not something I would want to revisit.
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Explain something for me...

Was Time Traveler actually a holographic game? I was under the impression they simply used a reflected video image, much like the system used in Midway's Pinball 2000.
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.