Thread: Xbox360 screenshots

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geondp
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    There's barely any difference in what already can be done with the current consoles!
    Wow, I am by no means a "graphics whore". But to say there is barely any difference is, well funny.

Look at the freaking level of detail in every aspect of all the SS, all I can say if the games look that good in real time. That in my eyes will be a HUGE jump in graphics... you say tomato I say tomahto I guess
    DETAIL, maybe, yes. But if I am going to buy a new console, I want a major improvement, I want to be able to look at a screenshot and with one glance, be able to tell that it's for a new console, not have to get really close and look for the detail in the characters eyes.

A quick timeline...

All major improvements, now let's compare DOA3 with DOA4...

Where's the difference? Oh, wait, you can see the door in the background a little clearer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy the system if the games are great, but as of now, I'm just seeing more of the same. I'm not a complete graphics whore, but they mean a lot to me when giving up 300.00+ of my hard earned money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally agree with Cmosfm, I'm not impressed at all. Maybe its finnaly time for me to witdraw from modern gaming completely. I guess I'll get a 360 in 3 years when the 720 comes out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Where's the difference? Oh, wait, you can see the door in the background a little clearer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy the system if the games are great, but as of now, I'm just seeing more of the same. I'm not a complete graphics whore, but they mean a lot to me when giving up 300.00+ of my hard earned money.
    I don't think you can make a fair comparison from static screenshots of pre-release games. We've been at the stage where people basically look like people since the beginning of this current generation. What will change is the general refinement in quality and quantity of what we see now. I would anticipate ultimately a difference which approximates the shift from the NES to the SNES, as opposed to the radical shift in perspetive from the SNES to the N64. Thus, let's wait until we see some video clips longer than 3 seconds before we call hogwash on this new technology.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley

I don't think you can make a fair comparison from static screenshots of pre-release games. We've been at the stage where people basically look like people since the beginning of this current generation. What will change is the general refinement in quality and quantity of what we see now. I would anticipate ultimately a difference which approximates the shift from the NES to the SNES, as opposed to the radical shift in perspetive from the SNES to the N64. Thus, let's wait until we see some video clips longer than 3 seconds before we call hogwash on this new technology.
    I'm not calling hogwash, but even early early shots show us what the system can do. Honestly, do you really think were going to see a huge leap over the pictures that were already posted? more minor detail things, but nothing major, just minor details.

I'm waiting for the leap from this...

to this...

I know, I'm being stubborn, but that's the only big leap that I can think of that's going to make me really jump out of my seat and go "WOW! I WILL BUY THIS ON LAUNCH DAY!"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am gonna buy it mainly for the games coming- Quake 4, Perfect Dark, Gears of War, etc. Another reason would be for the online play, which will hopefully be available at Launch.
    RIP Bargora.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The hardware specs are pretty impressive, and I think it's interesting that Microsoft has given up their old fear that Xbox would basically be a gaming-only PC. They're a lot more at peace with that.

I needed some time to absorb the video and think things over a bit. What was shown wasn't all that impressive, aside from the developers' enthusiasm. X360 just seems to be (and I'm repeating myself) a top-end PC that hooks up to your television. But I don't think these first games will really show what the machine is truly capable of. The quality, of course, is better, but the differences over the current consoles seems slight; most people, if they're not looking hard, aren't going to find much, aside from sharper textures.

But, as I said, we'll need more time to see where this goes. Game development budgets are expected to reach 8-digit figures, and that involves a lot of time creating far more detailed and polygon-rich characters and environments. The DOA characters, for instance, don't look any more mobile or detailed from existing pre-rendered footage. And the Perfect Dark shots betray their origins as a Gamecube port.

I'll have to wait for E3 to see what games are headed for the launch. That's really where it all matters. I've also read today that Sony may release the PS3 this year, so we'll get the next console war started fairly quickly. The article I read also noted that only 45% of American households have videogame consoles, and that until developers create some truly new games with a broader appeal (read: not just Doom clones and driving games), the market will stay pretty much where it is right now. So Microsoft is going to have to really start innovating if they want to capture Sony's turf.

Personally, I think they should make a game based on "Timmy and the Giant Space Bug." :P
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll pass on the xbox 360 in favor of the ps 3. I want the ps 3 mainly for the upcoming devil may cry 4, metal gear solid 4, silent hill 5, spider-man 3, and the slew of original titles. To me the xbox seems to pc-ish (tons of military/sci-fi fps, and online concentrated titles). The only reason I bought the xbox was for the sega games (not enought japanese games, which is why I love the ps 2 (fatal frame, bujingai, clock tower 3/demento, gradius V, etc.)).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for a media center, I don't care about all that, nor do I care for online gaming. I'm all about solo gaming, just like I had on my NES, just like I have on my Gamecube.
    Wow! I though I was the only Lone Wolf around here.

I don't give a damm about Online or Network games. My PC can do EVERYTHING better than a sized down PC called XboX (xyz)

And I DO expect the same Quatum leap forward from 128 to 2^n next generation consoles (256, 512, 1024, you name it)

And... When you're playing a fighting/racing/shooting game, can you REALLY pay that much attention to non important details like the shadows on the curtains, the painting on the dresser or the threads of the carpet?

REALLY???
    ...No more, it's over, I'm on to you and your evil games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it could just be that Team Ninja are just a bunch of lazy developers. The skin on those character models just look like plastic. There's no scarring, blemishes, skin color variations, arm hair
    *insert signature >here<*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of my friends have xbox live... yet I have no intentions on getting (or ever had) intetions of getting an xbox.

The thought of being able to play with friends online (and around the world) never really appealed to me until recently.
    I checked out a buddies xbox with live setup and it was pretty nice considering. I won't get it now especially since the 360 is coming out but I can see where the 360 is going to be much better in many areas that will interest me.

The VLM alone is reason for me to get it (Huge fan of Jeff Minter and his work) so aside from that... if the price is right and there are games I know I'll enjoy then I'm sold.

Also note my most recent system is a Dreamcast so this will be an acceptable jump for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how many 3rd party developers jump on and what titles they will be bringing out.
    After all - it's all about the games and how much fun you can have....

I never thought I'd see the day I'd actually considering buying a M$ box
    Soon to be spinnin' in 360!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Archenemy
    As for a media center, I don't care about all that, nor do I care for online gaming. I'm all about solo gaming, just like I had on my NES, just like I have on my Gamecube.

I don't give a damm about Online or Network games. My PC can do EVERYTHING better than a sized down PC called XboX (xyz)

And I DO expect the same Quatum leap forward from 128 to 2^n next generation consoles (256, 512, 1024, you name it)

And... When you're playing a fighting/racing/shooting game, can you REALLY pay that much attention to non important details like the shadows on the curtains, the painting on the dresser or the threads of the carpet?

REALLY???
    1. How much did you spend on your PC?
    2. How much longer before you have to upgrade your PC?
    3. How much more will upgrading cost?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    Quote Originally Posted by Archenemy

REALLY???
    Funny you say that because to get my system up to speed is going to get me for about $330.
    3200 + 6600GT.

PC Gaming rigs dont' have to cost $1000's+ it's just psychos tend to think they actually need 256MB $450 cards (or dare I say SLI setups) just to play the friggin games.
    (but, I want to play it at 1600friggin x 1200 reslolution with settings beyond what the game does in the first place) anyways...

For around $750 you can have a decent gaming rig... but not if you want a 4000 AMD 64 with again, the $450+ video card and a GIG of 'special' costly memory.

It'd be nice to get a 360 for less then what it costs for a top-end video card today. Hell , who knows... maybe the xbox360 will retail for $359
    Soon to be spinnin' in 360!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    1. $2000 for a Compaq Presario, about 3 or 4 years ago (when Flat Screens Monitors, DVD Burners, 768 MB RAM and Radean All in Wonder 7200 were fresh)
    2. I had a P 233 MMX 32Mb RAM for 6 years before buying a new one. I tend to use things until they cannot give more :P
    3. I don't know and I simply don't give a damm about it, because my current PC (P4 1.8 GHz 768Mb RAM 64 Mb VRAM) will still serve me for another couple of years.

I stay for 9-14 hours a day in front of a 21" LED Monitor of my IBM Workstation. Believe me, after that, the last thing you want is TO SIT AGAIN in front of another Monitor to play games I can play better in my couch or my bed...

I like to sit confortable in a couch with my TV and Hometheater to play my games. I don't find any pleasure of siting in a chair for hours to play PC games I simply don't like.

So I come again. Multimedia Center? My PC does it far better, all I want when I turn on my game console is to play my game, you know?
    ...No more, it's over, I'm on to you and your evil games...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree completely. I'm hate how just about every game has the rpg syndrome (i.e. long ass intro). I dread the day when consoles mimick pcs completely (patchs, registration, cd key #).