Thread: Cleaning SNES carts - write some tips! plz :]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cleaning SNES carts - write some tips! plz :]

Hey guys just got some SNES games...that are not so clean...i'm talking about the outside cart sticker and plastic. I don't know about the inside - didn't check them yet.

Anyhow i like my games in perfect order - and i usually never buy used...but i did now - so I'm wondering how close to perfect condition i can get those carts. There are som stickers to take off...also i see some discoloration of the gray plastic (brownish color)

I'm wondering if u guys have some tips on how to clean those carts. sort of what works and what is better NOT to do

I was thinking to take of the stickers with alcochol based cleaner. Then mayby sandpaper the discoloration with some light sand paper. I have no clue how to clean the inside cart.

ALL TIPS/SUGGESTIONS are really needed and apreaciated thanks!!!!
    ------------------------------

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I clean my NES games I first open them with a 3.8mm screwbit. Then I take alcohol on a q-tip and clean both sides. Then I take a dry q-tip and dry the contacts.
    Then I take a white rubber and rub both sides of the contact and take a q-tip to remove the rubber pieces that are stuck to the contacts.

Outside I use some wet paper to remove the loose dirt. For stickers I use glue remover (not sure what the english word is for this, but its some liquid fluid that you use to remove glue from bandage and stuff). I have never used this on the label, only on the cartridge itselv. Its pretty strong stuff so I'm afraid I would remove the label if I get this fluid on the the label. I also used some simular fluid once and then the cartridge started to melt. So be careful what you use.
    You have been warned! hehe

Then the games are clean

This goes for SNES games too. You can open SNES game with a 3.8mm screwbit too. So its the same thing when it come to cleaning them my way atleast.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

do u think light sandpaper for discoloration of plastic is a good or a bad idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    For stickers I use glue remover (not sure what the english word is for this, but its some liquid fluid that you use to remove glue from bandage and stuff).

Then the games are clean

This goes for SNES games too. You can open SNES game with a 3.8mm screwbit too. So its the same thing when it come to cleaning them my way atleast.
    I use GooGone, maybe you are reffering to that one too. Compressed air cans can help you removing dust from those corners that Q-Tips can't reach.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

white rubber
    like eraser?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    white rubber
    like eraser?

Yes, a white eraser. Believe it or not a white eraser works really well at removing dirt and build up from the carts contects without having to use any solutions or liquid. Now you'll obviously need to get some sort of screw bit to open up the cartridge itself, but besides that it's pretty easy to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I take a cotton ball and dab it with 70% rubbing alcohol to the outside of the cart to clean it....works wonderful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning SNES carts - write some tips! plz :]

There are som stickers to take off...
    If the stickers are on the label, be very careful! They're not afraid to rip off what's under them . Try peeling them back slowly, using an exacto knife to cut the strings of adhesive as you go.

Also, trust your gut! If you're about to use a chemical you're not sure about, or if you've got a bad feeling about the sound the screw's making when you're opening the cartridge, ABORT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I clean my NES games I first open them with a 3.8mm screwbit. Then I take alcohol on a q-tip and clean both sides. Then I take a dry q-tip and dry the contacts.
    Then I take a white rubber and rub both sides of the contact and take a q-tip to remove the rubber pieces that are stuck to the contacts.

Outside I use some wet paper to remove the loose dirt. For stickers I use glue remover (not sure what the english word is for this, but its some liquid fluid that you use to remove glue from bandage and stuff). I have never used this on the label, only on the cartridge itselv. Its pretty strong stuff so I'm afraid I would remove the label if I get this fluid on the the label. I also used some simular fluid once and then the cartridge started to melt. So be careful what you use.
    You have been warned! hehe

Then the games are clean

What do I need to open a N64 cart?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SMB
    What do I need to open a N64 cart?
    I believe you can also use the GameBit tool. I'm quite sure it's the 4.5mm piece (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning SNES carts - write some tips! plz :]

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    There are som stickers to take off...
    If the stickers are on the label, be very careful! They're not afraid to rip off what's under them . Try peeling them back slowly, using an exacto knife to cut the strings of adhesive as you go.

Also, trust your gut! If you're about to use a chemical you're not sure about, or if you've got a bad feeling about the sound the screw's making when you're opening the cartridge, ABORT!
    Boy I toataly agree with this! Trust Your Gut dude, if it sounds bad, looks wrong, makes you fell bad/uneasy, etc. Do Not Continue! Abort! Escape! Eject! Get Me Outa Here!

I would also like to say that as I read the rest of the post, everything sounds good to me! You got some great info and ideas here and may be able to go ahead and get started!

Whisin' you luck in you cleaning and restoration efforts on your new used games!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this is sort of a dead thread...but just wanted to say thank you 2 everyone who has helped

my SNES carts are now restored both inside and out and I must say that all of them (except DK3) look like they are new and out from the box 5 minutes ago

DK3...i noticed a bit of white fading on the front sticker. I'm not sure if it was there before cleaning or after rubbing the cart...oh well - overall im happy with the results

thanks!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though I really didn't give you any info or tips, I just wanted to say that I am very pleased and happy to know that your first big game cleaning job went very well!