Thread: does a replacement power supply for TG-16 CD exist?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default does a replacement power supply for TG-16 CD exist?

I'm talking about the power supply that powers both the TG-16 unit, and the CD attatchment when they are in the docking station. I've done searches on this, and I can't find the specific answers to this question and it's driving me bonkers!!

Ok, the official AC Adapters that can be used with the docking station to power both the system and the CD add on are: HES-ACA-02 and HES-ACA-03

Unfortunately, it appears that you actually "NEED" one of these two AC Adapters to be able to power your TG-16 CD combo.

I've done alot of searches on Ebay about this, and it seems that Radio Shack and Wal-Mart and places like that don't make any suitable generic power supplies that work. But I'm just trying to make sure that this is the case.

Ok, here are the specs:

HES-ACA-02

Input: 120V AC 60HZ 24W
    Output: 11V DC 1.53A (1530mA)

center plug is negative, the outer is positive

HES-ACA-03 (also known as the HES-ACA-03C)

Input: 120V AC 60HZ 28W
    Output: 11V DC 1.53 (1530mA)

center plug is negative, outer plug is positive

The TG-16 Faq says:

When replacing AC Adapters with Generic Power Supplys you should match the generic AC Adapters DC voltage equal or as close as possible to the manufacturers version.

Make sure the Generic Adapter current rating (mA/A) is equal or higher than the manufacturers version.

Make sure the polarity matches.

Anyways, I have the TG-16 CD player combo unit, but no power adapter, and I was reading while back about somebody getting a Phillips AC Adapter from Wal-Mart that worked, but I cant find that post again, and there wasn't any model # for it.

I'm just wondering if anybody out there has a TG-16 CD player combo unit and they are using a power supply other than the ones from NEC and everything is working fine. If so, where did you get it? What is the model #?

Also if anybody has a HES-ACA-02 or HES-ACA-03 that is working fine and it's for sale or trade, PM me.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Hey Anthony1 what's up?

I bought the same Philips one from Wal-Mart and it didn't work on my Japanese Duo. But it is only one of two "universal" adapters they sell (and I think the other one isn't Philips). I'd give it a try and if it doesn't work you can always return opened merchandise.

Hey did you ever get that TG-16 CD-Rom add-on that you paid for and never recieved here on DP? Just wondering.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    Hey Anthony1 what's up?

I bought the same Philips one from Wal-Mart and it didn't work on my Japanese Duo. But it is only one of two "universal" adapters they sell (and I think the other one isn't Philips). I'd give it a try and if it doesn't work you can always return opened merchandise.

Hey did you ever get that TG-16 CD-Rom add-on that you paid for and never recieved here on DP? Just wondering.

go to the feedback forum and do a search on "madgamer"

The guy actually did send me a TG-16 CD system, but he didn't include alot of stuff that was promised to be included, including the very hard to find Power Adapter.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to my local Radio Shack just to see if they had anything. I showed the guy the specs and he said that I needed to find one that was a DC 11 volt one, with the 1530mA. That maybe I could find one that is a DC 11 volt with 1600mA.

They had a DC 12 volt one that had 1500mA, but he said that it wouldn't work.

Then I went to Wal-Mart to see if they had anything, but they didn't have anything that even came close to 1500mA.

My next option might be Fry's Electronics.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disregard this information, because after talking with link1110 further, I found out that he did use it with the docking station to power his TG-16, but that he couldn't get the CD part to work. I could understand how it would power the TG-16, but I couldn't understand how it would work with the CD player too. But I made a mistake, so disregard the rest of this.

I was reading another thread on here about a replacement AC Adapter and this guy "link1110" said that he got an adapter at Radio Shack that has been working fine.

So I PM'd him to find out the model #.

It turns out that it's 273-1771

So I went to Radio Shack and looked it up. It's a 9 volt DC adapter with 1500mA.

Now, he's saying that this works fine for him, but it's only 9 volts? That doesn't make sense, considering the docking station requires 11 volts. It is 1500mA, but the docking station requires 1530mA.

I would love to try it out, but I'm concerned that it could end up ruining my TG-16 CD unit.

What do you guys think about this?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you should go to the TG experts... the TurboList. do a google for TurboList and it should lead you right to them.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    They had a DC 12 volt one that had 1500mA, but he said that it wouldn't work.
    Why not? Wrong polarity? Wrong size connector?

I use a supply rated 12V / 2000mA on my TG16/CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    So I went to Radio Shack and looked it up. It's a 9 volt DC adapter with 1500mA.

Now, he's saying that this works fine for him, but it's only 9 volts? That doesn't make sense, considering the docking station requires 11 volts. It is 1500mA, but the docking station requires 1530mA.
    It's probably close enough to work fine. It doesn't require 11 volts, it requires enough voltage to operate it's internal voltage regulators (typical minimum of 7-8V, can tolerate upwards of 15V).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

simple math guys.. if the construction is built to need 2x 1500 mA you need a replacement powersupply that powers 3000 mA (3 Amps) and 11V might be sufficient but depending on how the power unit inside is built and what it is.. there might be other power related complications..

like if its a 7805 it might be busted (these have a tolerance up to 35V but note that other parts connected to it might be weaker like caps !!!) cant be sure since i dont have a TG16.. also note that 1500mA is the MAX output it will ever give.. so a 2 A adaptor will probably be sufficient to power the whole device.
    Broken? fix it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IIRC, it's the power supply tip that is the real complication for a TG.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tips arent a problem - there are many electronics supply places that have all kinds of tips -- you just have to be capable enough to wire it

there was a real cheap supply in the MPJA catalog that seemed to meet the requirements (with the tip even) that i was going to try but didnt get around to it yet -- i dont have the catalog in front of me to get the model number