View Poll Results: Do you play and/or collect games that are as old as (or older than) you?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I play and collect games like that. Age don't mean nuthin'!

24 70.59%
  • I play them a little bit, and might have a few lying around. I like some of them and might buy one ocassionally if I see it for a good price.

2 5.88%
  • I don't really play them or buy them, but I don't really dislike them. I just don't care about 'em too much, except maybe for historical reasons.

8 23.53%
  • I don't play them or buy them, and I don't really like them either. Why should I waste my time with old stuff like that?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play/collect games you didn't grow up with?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you play/collect games you didn't grow up with?

I was born in 1981, which means I'll be turning 24 this year. I'm really, really glad I was born when I was, as it meant I could grow up with the NES. I played videogames at a local pizza parlor a lot, and when I heard that Super Mario Brothers would be released for this upcoming thing called a Nintendo, I wasted no time in pestering my parents into buying me one. I eventually ended up with other systems around at that time too - an SMS and an Atari 2600, but those came after the NES.

I've noticed that my game playing and collecting tastes really reflect this. Even though I had an Atari 2600 eventually, I don't really care for the system much (I can very much understand why people do though - don't take this as a slight against the system please ); in fact, I rarely play and definitely don't collect anything prior to 8-bit consoles. I'm not sure if this is because I didn't grow up with the games, or if I just became too accustomed to 8-bit conventions, or what, but I'm wondering how other people here feel.

Do you play and/or collect games that came out before you were really old enough to play them?

(I'm really curious if people who were born during/after the 8-bit boom like playing NES games or not. )

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I play plenty of stuff as old as or older than me. I'm 19 and I play 2600,vectrex,nes and sms. However the 16-bit era is probably my favorite stuff. I prefer older stuff and for awhile there I refused to play anything newer than snes. I have since come to like the xbox,cube,ds and psp. I still hate most early 3d though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Yeah, I play games older then me
    (Looks at NES and Odyssy2, if I spelled that right...)

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

No. I only play games I grew up with and newer. I was born in 1979, so my first console was an Intellivision.... followed by an Atari 5200 in 1983. Those were the two I grew up with, but I did, however, get quite a bit of playing time on the Atari 2600 via my friends. So, consequently, I only collect and play games from the 2600 on.

Of course, there really wasn't much prior to the 2600... at least nothing that can really stand the test of time... IMO.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I love 'em all!
    New...Old...doesn't matter to me.
    Fun? <----THAT'S what matters!

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 20 years old (turning 21 later this year) and I play and collect everything. Even though I cut my gaming teeth in the mid to late 80's I readily collect and frequently play Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, and Odyssey2 games. I've also got a Microvision and an Atari 5200, both of which debuted before I was born.
    View My Current Game Collection!! My Complete Collection Page!!

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was born in 86'
    I grew up with the NES, but I didnt start collecting for it until I bought a gamecube.For some reason, the more new, awsome looking games that came out for this generation of systems, the more old stuff I wanted to discover. I started picking up older systems I missed out on like crazy.

I hated pre-8 bit systems when I was growing up. i didnt get why anyone would think they were cool anymore...
    Now im totally the opposite, and buy very few modern games at all.
    Support Medical Marijuana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

I never really had any serious interest in pre 8-bit gaming. I still plan to pick some of them up eventually to try to expand my horizons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was born in 1971, the year the very first video arcade game (Computer Space) appeared, marking (arguably) the beginning of the video game era. My life is intertwined with video games! It wouldn't be possible to collect anything older than I, unless I could somehow buy the PDP-1 mainframe which housed Steve Russell's Spacewar, Ralph Baer's Brown Box from the late 60s, or even Willy Higginbotham's oscilliscope which played Tennis for Two. (Haven't seen them on eBay lately!)

So to answer your question, I heartily collect from any and every era, but the one that's nearest and dearest to my heart is everything pre-1985.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im 17, and I have been collecting for the 16 bit systems since I was very young, I had ammased a very large genesis library around age 8, and every system that followed I collected for (yes even at a young age I was collecting for jaguar and 32x)

Jump to now, I am now buying older systems before my time, and am slowly increasing my collection.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As of now, no I don't. I have a hard time collecting anything older than the NES. I'm just not into the games right now, and I would get pretty unintrested pretty quickly.

Maybe at a later date I'll get into older systems.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would love to get another Atari 5200 and games. I had one when I was a kid but foolishly (and I mean foolishly) sold it when I was about 17 to my favorite game store at the time.

I really didn't get that much money for it and I'm regretting it to this day.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Technically I grew up with an Atari, but I really can't get into playing it for any length of time. On the flip side I never seen a commodore 64 in person, but after having played some of the games emulated I could definately see myself getting into collecting it if ever given the chance.

So I dunno, maybe I'm a graphics whore or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I grew up with the NES and later systems, but I really dig pre-crash games. I love the VCS, Coleco, INTV, and 7800. About the only system I don't like from that era is the O^2. My NES gets the most play, but the 2600 gets the second most play by far.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Turbo Grafx, Master System, and older PC and arcade games, and I didn't grow up with any of those platforms. I was born in 1984, and my gaming background basically begins in 1990, with the NES. The local arcade had stuff like OutRun and Space Harrier, but nothing much older than that generation. I doubt the stores in my neighborhood even sold SMSs or Turbos, and I didn't get a computer until 2002.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

For the most part, I never colect anything older then the NES. While I know there were game systems released before 75, not much holds my interest before the NES. Playing old game systems like the 2600 is a painfull experience for me as I keep wanting more then what they have to offer. I like them simply for the historical significance as it helps show people where home gaming has grown from. Beyond that, its just wasted on me as I would never pick one up to be played.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i grew up with a clone of NES and then mostly PC. I totally missed out on the SNES & early PS1 due to PC loving. Yet, now i find myself starting to collect for SNES and being interested in next gens....Cube & PS2 that is....no xbox (bill i hate u so). Also GBA. So basically gew up with NES, PC...yet collecting for SNES,GBA,Cube,PS2

go figure
    ------------------------------

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell yeah. I love going back and checking into all the old systems I was never able to try back during my childhood. I also love having tons of games for some systems my friends had when I was younger that I could only dream of owning such as SNES, 3do and saturn. My first system was the atari 800xl computer and that's where my main interest lies, I play it on emulation daily. I still have the original system as well as all my old carts and diskettes but no longer have a video cable for it =\. I love checking into the commodore amiga and 64 systems as well.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell yeah, I love finding games that I missed out on during my childhood and games that came out before I was even born or could pick up a controller!

I've dealt in ColecoVision and Atari 2600. Even INTV

I was born in 1980 yet I still find the goodies out there, even those titles that came out during the 90's and I completely missed them. So I'm still on a mission to find everything I pretty much missed. Never a dull moment

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Do you play/collect games you didn't grow up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu
    I'm really, really glad I was born when I was, as it meant I could grow up with the NES.
    That's exactly how I look at it Except I was born in 1985, and I'm turning 20 in June. I grew up with the SNES and Mega Drive and LucasArts I could not have wished for better.

I don't collect anything before the SNES or Mega Drive - I have no interest. I might one day start on the NES, or rekindle my love for the BBC, but not anytime soon. I'm too busy catching up on all the games I missed while growing up.