Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pac-Man Collection - firsts screenshots...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pac-Man Collection - firsts screenshots...

I am in process to port Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man for the CV, and here are the firsts screenshots. Now I have figured out almost the entire game opening and I have put together a little piece of code. The game is already booting, showing the grid and the character name screen (I have removed the memory test, as it was too time wasting for a home game). There isn't any animation yet, but it is just a matter of time now...
    As a extra surprise from my effort, I have found a secret screen which I don't know if someone was aware. The screen shows "Made by Namco" as shown bellow and needs a trick to be activated...
    As soon as I have the entire opening sequence ready, I would post a bin file at my web site, so every one here would check my progress.

8)
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kewl!

But are you porting Puc-Man or Pac-man? I know there's hardly any difference, but I think most people would prefer the non-japanese ghost names.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'd be even better if the names alternated between American and Japanese, depending on whether you were playing Pac-Man or Exciting New Pac-Man Plus.

JR

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But are you porting Puc-Man or Pac-man? I know there's hardly any difference, but I think most people would prefer the non-japanese ghost names.
    Both them. In fact the differences are very small. But I like to start working with the original Japanese versions...
    Eduardo Mello
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

(Uses old hypnotic coin ordered from Incredible Hulk comic book in 1975...)

Tempest. Tempest. Tempest...make Tempest your next project...Tempest...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats the good thing bout retro games, you can do like this cat is doing....IF you have the skills....bravo i say, bravo indeed.
    I love games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The rounded shapes and eyes are truly remarkable. Even the Atari 7800 version doesn't have that. How do you get a ColecoVision to do that so well?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome!
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man that looks cool.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Very impressive!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"The rounded shapes and eyes are truly remarkable. Even the Atari 7800 version doesn't have that. How do you get a ColecoVision to do that so well?"

I think I know. It's a combination of the system's high resolution, coupled with the designer's attention to detail. The arcade translations on older systems COULD have looked more like the actual arcade games, but the programmers didn't think it was important. That's why some of us have been hacking their games to make them look more faithful to their arcade counterparts.

JR

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tempest. Tempest. Tempest...make Tempest your next project...Tempest...
    Uhmmm... Tempest... I really think Tempest is a great game, but I had never thought about it... Interesting... I was thinking on creating a poll to choose my next port. But I will do it latter as Pac-Man Collection will keep me busy for several months yet... And I still need to release SIC in cart format too. I am having a little problem with cart cases but be assured it will evently be released... and it is probably going to be distributed by a big US dealer...

[quote]Thats the good thing bout retro games, you can do like this cat is doing....IF you have the skills....bravo i say, bravo indeed/quote]

Thanks, thanks a lot. It's really nice to know many of you are appreciating the effort. When I started programming SIC, I was determined to finish the game even if nobody cared about it. Now I have the motivation to keep programming. It isn't I am moved by compliments, but it just isn't fun to make a game just to myself. I mean, when the game is ready I am already tired of it! And I was able to meet a lot of friends here. It's the really good part...

The rounded shapes and eyes are truly remarkable. Even the Atari 7800 version doesn't have that. How do you get a ColecoVision to do that so well?
    Hi Asward! How is your game coming along?
    There is nothing special about the graphics. The CV resolution is better than the usual 7800 resolution, so no surprise. I keep saying the CV is a very powerful machine, if you do full use of its capabilities...

That's why some of us have been hacking their games to make them look more faithful to their arcade counterparts.
    By the way, I am aware of the nice new CV hack I think many here will love... I am sorry I haven't answered you yet ManekiNeko, but I came back from a little vacation this week and now I am trying to put all things back in order...

Now back to code...
    Eduardo Mello

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opcode
    I was thinking on creating a poll to choose my next port.
    That would be great! I hope you do.

I know everyone wants to see their favorite hit arcade game ported, but I would actually be more interested to see ports of more obscure games that have never been treated to a home console version. Pleiades, Bagman, Kaos, Zookeeper, Mad Planets (though you'd have to have a custom controller for that one), etc.. This Pac-Man port is jaw-droppingly impressive, but my excitement is somewhat reduced by the fact that I can already play Pac-Man on dozens of other systems.

I'd LOVE to see a Kaos or Pleiades port. (Did Pleiades actually come out for the Arcadia 2001? Was it any good?)

Keep up the good work!
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Did Pleiades actually come out for the Arcadia 2001? Was it any good?"

Yes, and no. There's an Arcadia version, but it isn't all that special... at least judging from what I've played on an emulator.

JR

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi William! How are you doing? I talked to you many years ago about the Brazilian O2 and helped Marcelo Ribeiro to complete the Brazilian O2 game list...

Pleiades, Bagman, Kaos, Zookeeper, Mad Planets (though you'd have to have a custom controller for that one), etc.. This Pac-Man port is jaw-droppingly impressive, but my excitement is somewhat reduced by the fact that I can already play Pac-Man on dozens of other systems.
    Beside Pleiades I have never played [or ever heard, excluding Zookeeper] any of these games. Pleiades is indeed a nice game and a few CV fans have already asked about porting it together Phoenix. But now Scott Huggins is porting Phoenix to the CV, so maybe he decides to port Pleiades after that, as the games are very similar. The problem with obscure games is few people know [or care] about them. You see, if programming a game had been an easy and quick task, I wouldn't mind porting some of these, but the process is very time consuming. I think maybe not so obscure games would be a better option, like Bosconian or Rally-X...
    After Pac-Man Collection the next logical step in classic gamming relevance would be Donkey Kong, but I think most CV owners are already happy with the existing version...
    By the way, wasn't a 2600 Pleiades prototype found?

Eduardo
    Eduardo Mello

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, there's a 2600 version of Pleaides out there, well, somewhere. Whoever owns it won't dump the ROM. The same goes for Funky Fish.
    Now I've got a question for you, Ed... who's this Scott Huggins guy, and does he have a website? I'd like to check out his progress on ColecoVision Phoenix.

JR

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My vote's for Zoo Keeper!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a CV programming list. To subscribe send email to:

colecoprogramming-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Scott is a member of this list. But he hasn't released any screenshot or demo yet... I will send you his email in pvt...
    Eduardo Mello

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Opcode, you'd better brace yourself. You are going to be FLOODED with requests!

It's interesting how much better the ColecoVision versions could've been. I saw the MSX version of Galaga; why were the creatures in the formation single-colored? In Atarisoft's Galaxian, enemies in formation were multi-colored and very nicely detailed. Even when they became single-colored in an attack dive, it was done in a very good-looking way.
    I have a 4-screen version of Donkey Kong Junior. Granted, it could use a bit of polish here and there, but it is COMPLETE! And, only 16K out of the 32K! Where was it in 1983?

By the way, your CV version of Space Invaders looks to easily outdo the NES version. As does your Pac-Man.

Too bad someone like you didn't do the CV versions of Mr. Do!, Donkey Kong, Gyruss, and others. They would've been far better.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's interesting how much better the ColecoVision versions could've been. I saw the MSX version of Galaga; why were the creatures in the formation single-colored?
    It was the easy route. The TMS 9918 (the CV and MSX video chip) suffers from a color mapping limitation but there is a few ways to get around it. The problem is you are going to need to pay extra effort to implement these tricks... Anyway the gameplay in the MSX version of Galaga is very accurate...

In Atarisoft's Galaxian, enemies in formation were multi-colored and very nicely detailed. Even when they became single-colored in an attack dive, it was done in a very good-looking way.
    I really think the Atarisoft programmers were some of the best available in the time. Every Atarisoft CV game uses a lot of advanced programming techniques...

I have a 4-screen version of Donkey Kong Junior. Granted, it could use a bit of polish here and there, but it is COMPLETE! And, only 16K out of the 32K! Where was it in 1983?
    Good question...

Too bad someone like you didn't do the CV versions of Mr. Do!, Donkey Kong, Gyruss, and others. They would've been far better.
    Gyruss is a favorite of mine, as are several others shooting games: Galaga, Bosconian, Time Pilot, Xevious... But Gyruss is heavily dependent on good sound and the CV sound subsystem is a little limited... Lets see...
    Eduardo Mello