Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E3: SONY (PS3 and more)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first ps had a third party joystick by Ascii (or Asciiware) somthing like that, it was boomarang in shape and dark blue. I called it the batwing. I still have it, still my favorite joystick of all time. The ps3 stick looks just like it.... and wireless!! My dreams have come true! The standard stick isn't big enough for my hands.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante
    The first ps had a third party joystick by Ascii (or Asciiware) somthing like that, it was boomarang in shape and dark blue. I called it the batwing. I still have it, still my favorite joystick of all time. The ps3 stick looks just like it.... and wireless!! My dreams have come true! The standard stick isn't big enough for my hands.
    Out of curiousity, do you have larger than average hands do you think?

I look at that boomerang and I can't imagine how I'm gonna hold it. I'm among the few that liked the massive size of the original xbox controller, but I look at a boomerang and wonder how all that extra ... plastic is gonna feel sticking out at the bottom? Or how does it fit?

Has anyone from DP, at the show, held the thing yet?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante
    Out of curiousity, do you have larger than average hands do you think?

You're thinking of the Alps controller. And I'm another big fan of that controller. When I frist saw that, it's exactly what I thought too. I hope Sony also puts the grippy stuff on the bottom. Saddly, they didn't copy Alps d-pad, as it's also about the best I've found on a PSX controller.

For the record, no I don't have really big hands, but I do have severe wrist problems. The Dual Shock makes me hold my wrists at angles that cause intense pain, where as the Alps "batarang" does not.

Yeah, it's ugly as all hell, but trust me, it feels wonderful.

Cherry (Level 1) atari_overlord's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a sharp looking system! I am actually really excited for all three. What a great time to be into video games. Though the playstation controllers do scare me a little I am sure they will feel just great. So much testing goes into these things I cant imagine it just feeling awful. They look just a little to "future" for me. Killzone looks intense. Because its sony I doubt I will be buying a launch system but I think it is going to hurt to not run out and get this one right away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perkar

did you make that? awsome pic, that is just hilarious!

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All those features are well and good (and I am not anti-PS by any means) but given their track record with extras (HD, Eye-Toy) I am not sold on all this just yet, not to mention having to potentially pay extra for backwards compatibility.
    Sasha Nein: Young man, I hope you've learned a lesson here today.
    Raz: Yes, I have... that shooting things is fun and useful!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

System specs seem impressive, but I must say I'm not really impressed with the look of it. With the stylish rounded top the only place it can really fit is on top of the TV, or on top of the DVD player. Not really good if you like to cram things into your entertainment center.

Perhaps this is what Sony is looking for. Perhaps they *want* you to have to put it on top of your TV (like a TV set top box). With the controllers being wireless there is no problem with wires running straight down the front and interfering with the picture.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the system looks pretty damn ugly if you ask me, it also looks pretty damn big, but I must say that Killzone for the PS3 looks like the most amazing game I have ever seen.

If that is how the game really looks when you play it, then I will have died and gone to heaven. It's so nice that Sony is going to have a system with a decent resolution, I always thought the PS2 was lacking quite a bit in the video department, and this time they got that aspect right.

As for the Spring Launch, I personally don't see this happening. We wont get the PS3 till October 2006. The only reason they are talking about a spring launch is because of the XBOX 360. They hope that by saying they are going to bring it out in Spring that some potential XBOX 360 customers could decide to wait the extra 6 months for the PS3.

But that ain't gonna happen. The only home console that has ever come out prior to September was when the Sega Saturn did that sneak attack launch in May. And we all know how successful that was.

I guarantee you that in early February will come an annoucement that the PS3 will be delayed until the fall.

But regardless, if the games really look like what they've shown, especially the Fight Night boxing by E.A. Sports and Killzone, then I will be a total Sony fanboy even though I've been somewhat anti Sony for a few years now. I find Sony to be way too arrogant and would like them to get their assess handed to them, but man if it looks that good, then I'm back in love with them again!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

after watching the 2 hour press conference (first hour is boring), I have come to the conclusion that PS3 is on the right track. Sure they might not have the backing of a huge xbox live type online mode, but from what we are seeing in the game quality so far...goddamn those games look good! killzone looks too realistic, its truly hard to believe that is ingame footage.
    Killzone puts perfect dark zero to shame....

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just in case anybody cares about specs..

PLAYSTATION®3 Specifications (official release)
    PS3 CPU

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

1 VMX vector unit per core

512KB L2 cache

7 x SPE @3.2GHz

7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
    * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
    total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

PS3 GPU
    RSX @550MHz
    1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
    Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channel
    Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader **bleep**s

PS3 Sound
    Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

PS3 Memory
    256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

PS3 System Bandwidth
    Main RAM 25.6GB/s
    VRAM 22.4GB/s
    RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
    SB 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
    System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS

PS3 Devices
    Storage
    HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
    I/O
    USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
    Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
    SD standard/mini x 1
    CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
    Communication
    Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
    Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
    Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)
    USB2.0 (wired)
    Wi-Fi (PSP)
    Network (over IP)
    AV Output
    Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    HDMI HDMI out x 2
    Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1
    Digital audio DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media
    CD
    PlayStation CD-ROM
    PlayStation2 CD-ROM
    CD-DA (ROM)
    CD-R, CD-RW
    SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
    DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD
    PlayStation2 DVD-ROM
    PLAYSTATION3 DVD-ROM
    DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc
    PLAYSTATION3 BD-ROM
    BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3

did you make that? awsome pic, that is just hilarious!
    didn't make the pic, a friend of mine posted it in irc, just thought i'd pass it along
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Xbox360 and the PS3 will be very similar systems, and they will battle it out.

But, guys, please don't forget that we saw in all likelihood rendered graphics for the PS3. These are demos, not real-time play footage. I can't remember one single demo, let it be for the SNES, PS1 or N64, which didn't look much better than what we finally saw when we p[layed actual games on the console.

The rubber-duckie and leaves-approach was very effective nevertheless as a counter strategy to the Xbox360. While MS showed real play footage, Sony hold back until the E3 to show hyped potential of the PS3 with rendered graphics. 'Hope', 'belief' and expected potential for a system took over reality already.

The mere fact is that the Xbox gets what MS planned for at least two years now - a one year headstart with a sleek looking, powerful system supported by a promising looking line of games. The PS2 marketing strategy against the Dreamcast won't work this time. The Xbox360 delivers way too much to let it look outdated shortly after launch date.

The PS3, no matter how the system will look and play in the end, will never dominate as much as the PS2 did. MS is way too aggressive to let that happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What impressed me the most was the multi-CD compatibility list I mean PS1 compatible ? verry kool in my book.

although it seems that both the Xbox360 and PS3 will be very even as far as Graghical power goes I have decided to get an Xbox360 as soon as possible.

MY 3RD PS2 JUST FRIED and it was just ONE FREAKIN YEAR OLD and still looked like new so Im not too happy with Sony right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I think the system looks pretty damn ugly if you ask me, it also looks pretty damn big, but I must say that Killzone for the PS3 looks like the most amazing game I have ever seen.
    it's pre-rendered (confirmed by sony), as were Motor Storm, Warhawk and others, Sony is playing false as always, damnit, at least MS had the guts to show actual footage (i know, it was running on Apple systems, but IT WAS RUNNING)

and you know what?? that Fight Night R3 (which was real footage) didn't look much better than the new WWE game for Gamecube, if that's what sony calls 10 times (or whatever they said) better than current generation then i don't know what they have been smoking

i'm pretty sure i'll get the PS3, no doubt about it, and i surely hope they get the games anywhere near those Killzone 2 video, but i just don't believe it right now
    -Jan

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    it's pre-rendered (confirmed by sony), as were Motor Storm, Warhawk and others, Sony is playing false as always, damnit, at least MS had the guts to show actual footage (i know, it was running on Apple systems, but IT WAS RUNNING)(
    The claim was made that the Killzone 2 vid was not prerendered last night on G4...

Supposedly that "prerendered" Killzone 2 is going to be a playable demo today as well... I guess we'll find out for certain later today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pfff G4

iirc a member of Epic said that about the videos not being real-time, he was somehow involved in the conference, too lazy to look it up, sorry
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

and you know what?? that Fight Night R3 (which was real footage) didn't look much better than the new WWE game for Gamecube,
    Character model wise, no, it wasn't much better. It's the way those models reacted, from the skin rippling to the way the facial expressions worked, that made it so amazing. That's not the leap they have promised, but it's still worth rewinding and watching again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Oh, boy... so powerful. Thanks for posting the specs, felix. But, to tell the truth, seeing the video means a whole lot more.

Is anyone else wondering about the price? Not what it will be, but when it will be announced? Here's hoping for the best...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a simple table comparison of the 360 and PS3 specs over on WinSuperSite:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xbox360_vs_ps3.asp