Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Genesis/Sega CD/32X Stereo Sound

Ok quick question about the Genesis/Sega CD/32X hook ups. If I want to get stereo sound out of all of these units how do I hook them up? At the moment I have a Genesis (model 1), a Sega CD (model 2), and a 32X hooked together. The Genesis is hooked to the 32X through the special connector (from the Genesis A/V out), and the 32X is connected to the TV with the A/V cables it came with. The Sega CD is just hooked into the Genesis through the expansion port, no wires go in or out of it.

I don't think the 32X is giving me stereo sound since the A/V cable that came with it only has two plugs (white and yellow). Do I need to get a different cable to get Stereo sound? I thought I read somewhere that the Genesis only gave stereo sound through the headphones port and to use it with the Sega CD you needed some sort of special mixing cable. Of course that was for the Sega CD model 1, I don't know if thats true for the model 2 which I have.

Ok now that I've confused everyone (including myself), can anyone help? All I want is to have all three systems hooked together and produce stereo sound (if possible).

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a Stereo AV cable out there for the system 2, I don't know about the system 1 genesis.. but if you have the system 1 you can outpu the sound threw the headphone jack for stereo.

now with a 32x I think you can just use the system 2 Stereo AV cable (red/white/yellow) though 95% of Ebay Genesis AV cable auctions are the Mono yellow/white cables so ask before bidding (even if it has a picture, I've read neutral/negative feedback about people getting mono cables instead of a pictured stereo cable to many times to know that it happens.)
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Can I just pick up a stereo cable at Radio Shock? I had a stereo cable, but it turns out it was for my Saturn so the connector would not fit (its close, but the end is slightly different for the Saturn).

Tempest

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My advice for that situation is to go to a thrift store and buy a model 2 for $5. If you were just running the Model 1 and CD, you would run a min strereo headphone plug from the front of the genesis to the mix in on the back of the CD then run RCA cables from the CD to your stereo/TV (and no sound cables from your Genesis). I don't think this method works for the 32x but I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Nope, gotta have my big ol' model 1. Besides, how else would I play those great early EA games like... err... um.... welll if I could think of any this would be a great argument.

Does Radio Shack sell a stereo cable capable of going from the 32X to the TV?

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think you will need the stereo cable that Tempest mentioned. The last time I used a 32X I was trying to use it with my Sega CDX. It was an extremely goofy setup, if my memory serves. Anyway, if you want sound to come out of both speakers you could just get an RCA y splitter. May not be true stereo, but at least it'll come out of both speakers.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sent Sega an email asking if they had pictures from the old manuals on how to hook everything up. We will see. If anyone else out there has there old manuals maybe we can scan in pages showing how to hook up the systems, and kindly ask DP to make a section for this type of thing. I allways see systems for sale without instructions or cables and never buy them cause I have no idea what is needed to hook them up, Or how to use the alternate method of hooking up for better sound video. Just a thought