Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardcore Gamer magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

What version of adobe do you have. Also try rebooting.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had problems viewing Adobe files while using Firefox. I don't know if you're using Firefox or not but I'd recommend downloading it to your computer and then opening it. Right click on the file and "save as"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paid for my subscription. Can't wait to check it out.

Gamefan was a great magazine and if this one is even in the same ballpark then it will be better then the magazines out now. Play and Edge are the only magazines that I actually look forward to getting each month.
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I just got the premier issue.

Their layout is very well done. Unlike most mags which seem to throw pics up all over the place, each review is set up the same way. It make it far easier to read, and all the text is against white so there's no need to strain to read text like GameFan. The paper stock is fantastic.

Other than that, it's not particuarly different like ZM said. You would think the content would be more specialized. The Sparkster article was great, and the report on the Japanese tourney was well done (except fort the guy dressed like Oro.. creepy). That's the type of stuff they need more of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    * The two-page anime review (Star Ocean EX) was humorless and awkward, just like the typical anime fan.
    I love you, Zach.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did any of these people have anything to do with GameGO! mag? Does anybody remember this one? By the way, NextGen was the best magazine ever, although GameFan was a close second.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley30
    Did any of these people have anything to do with GameGO! mag? Does anybody remember this one? By the way, NextGen was the best magazine ever, although GameFan was a close second.
    GameGO! was a one-issue train wreck by a handful of refugees from the end of Game Fan's run. HG's principals were involved with the launch and the glory days of GF, but bailed for non-Halverson pastures long before GF folded.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    I just got the premier issue.
    Did you oder the magazine thru their website? If so, How long did it take to get the first issue?
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I subscribed to the magazine thru their website and also ordered a copy of issue one. The copy of issue one arrived within three days via priority mail. MUCH faster then I expected.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default HGM A-OK!

I received the first issue of my complimentary six issue subscription to Hardcore Gamer Magazine on Saturday. Filling out its Web site's short survey for the free subscription was well worth it, I hardily admit!

Truth be told, I recently subscribed to both Play and HGM. After just one issue of each, HGM is already my favorite. Play feels too much like National Geographic for me: lots of big pictures and thick, heavy text. HGM has lots of graphics too, but their graphics are more like dressing for the text, rather than the text decorating the graphics. HGM's article's text also flows better, omitting extraneous words to get the point out sharp and quick.

You know, in essense HGM practices the old writer's mantra: be germane and succinct. Everything seemed to be on topic and to the point. Sure there is humor about, but everything is directly related to the topic at hand.

But the most important thing of all, is that the articles are about things I care about. Many of the articles are about sequels to classic franchises instead of just tossing in every game possible. Classic gaming is given its props in a few columns. Game cosplayers are shown. Insightful discussion is given on worthwhile news topics. Thorough feature articles with interviews are done on highly anticipated games. There are off-the-wall columns like Gamer Gourmet or playing non-DDR games with a dance mat. Reviews are fair yet unyeilding.

Just to add emphasis, I'm giving this next point its own paragraph and putting it in capital letters.

AVERAGE GAMES ARE ACTUALLY GIVEN THE AVERAGE, 50% SCORE (2.5/5.0)

I can count on one finger the number of magazines out there that actually give an average game the medium score on their scale. Usually, when a game is given a "bad score" in a game mag it is a 5 or 6 out of ten. HGM's max score is a 5, and about 70% of all the games in issue #3 were given between a 2.5 and a 3.5. One game even garnered a 1.5! The highest score I recall was a 4, but there may have been a 4.5, maybe.

Granted, the mag is new so it is to be expected, but I like the low advertisement page count. And most of it is Atlus / NIS America adverts, and I like their art styles, so it is still good!

And this might be a small detail, but I like the durable feel of the paper stock that HGM uses. Most magazines go for that glossy, thin, fragile paper, because, "shiny is good, but we're too cheap to go for something that won't rip easily." HGM seems more of a soft matte paper, which makes it more conductive for reading and holding. You know what I mean: don't you dispise that paper that easily conforms to your fingers' pressure while holding it, so that you end up having permanent grooves in the pages?

So I wish the best of luck to HGM. May it always keep its focus, have a long run, and never "sell out" to the advertisers.

P.S. People who are wary or can't get a subscription may want to download HGM's past issues. They are freely available on [ www.hardcoregamermag.com ]. Dial-up users beware: each issue is 30 MB in file size.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I received my first issue today, Volume 1, Issue 3...written by Booth Babes. Riiiiiiiight. The look of the magazine actually reminds me just a bit of Diehard Gaming which isn't a bad thing. Also, the games they review are actually games I might have some interest in, such as Fantastic Four and the new Medal of Honor game. Also, someone on the forum was asking a few days ago about a new pinball game called Flipnic and here's a review for it right here. Very timely. I haven't had much time to actually read it yet but I like what I've seen so far.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got the first issue of my complimentary subscription as well.

Damn! You're not kidding about that paper. It feels like flipping cardboard. I honestly have to say it weirded me out a little.

I really enjoyed this thing (and not just 'cause it was free). I can't remember the time I read a game magazine straight through. Cool little retro section with a review of VICE (NES), and there's a sense of history about the reveiws that I've never seen in any other gaming mag. Their review of Bomberman DS went through the history of the series giving proper respect to the Turbographx version for introducing the multiplayer aspect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't remember filling out anything for this magazine, but I got an issue of it yesterday...... addressed to my Fred Flinstone alias

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up issue two of this magazine about 2 weeks ago at a Gamecrazy rather far from my house. They had only recieved two issues, and I have not seen any other store-including other Gamecrazy's-that carry it...I fear that the magazine will not last long.

It was a pretty good read, other than the reviews and cosplay/anime sections.
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happily received my first issue in the mail yesterday. The whole look and feel of it reminds me of Gamefan right off of the bat. It's not a rip off though by any means, it's like Gamefan's evolved into the 21st century, with a new look, new content, and new identity. I haven't had the chance to really sit down and read over it, but from what I saw flipping through, I like it.

A big thanks to Tim, Terry, Greg, and all of the other former Gamefan staffers who made this happen. Reading the thread about how this magazine came about over on the TNL forums makes this even more amazing.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I just got my first issue in the mail today too, issue three (written by Booth Babes, or so they advertise ), and so far it feels pretty good, like a GameFan, especially in that they handle the ads really well (they're not overpowering or all clumped together in seven-page blocks). It even feels sturdy compared to the other mags.

Pretty cool. I might have to get more issues of this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetroYoungen
    I just got my first issue in the mail today too, issue three (written by Booth Babes, or so they advertise ), and so far it feels pretty good, like a GameFan, especially in that they handle the ads really well (they're not overpowering or all clumped together in seven-page blocks). It even feels sturdy compared to the other mags.
    I got my first issue in the mail yesterday. Not a bad magazine. Reminded me of Gamefan as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got my issue and I like, plenty of text..

You couldnt rip this magazine in half with a chainsaw...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got my first issue(volume 1,issue 3)in the mail today.great stuff,reminds me a bit like gamefan,thats a good thing.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Got mine too. Seemed ok. Wouldnt pay for a sub yet. Lets see if next issue is better.

At first I thought I got something from Kaminos site eheh.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r