Thread: Y'know what's fun? ARMORED CORE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Y'know what's fun? ARMORED CORE!

This may be the start of something good...

I found Armored Core: Project Phantasma recently & was gonna sell it but I thought I'd give it a try first. I've never been a big fan of mech games- I liked the Iron Soldier series on Jag/PS & tried a bit of PC Mechwarrior. I think the mission-based gameplay turned me off, & I HATE having to replay parts/sections in games, as well as the whole micro-mgmt thing (tweek this, change this, adjust that, etc etc). These, coupled w/ the extreme customization of AC games (so many options! ) made me ambivalent.

I wish I'd played sooner.

I'll spare you my review (it's over on gamefaqs!)- I'll just say WOW- I'm pleasantly surprised! It's challenging w/out being unfair, the customization options are insane, & except for its outdated graphics (which dont make a good game anyway), I cant really find anything wrong w/ it. The best part is I realize I havent even scratched the figurative surface of the game- I'm only 5 places up the Arena list & have just a few missions accomplished.

I guess if you dont like violence (but who's getting hurt?) or giant robo-battles, you wouldnt care for it, but creating & refining your own AC really is fun- so much so that I tracked down Armored Core 2 (PS2) last week!

So if you ever cross paths w/ a couple ACs named Phantasm or IceGhost, just smile & wave...it's me!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/review/R87716.html
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The AC games are pretty fun. I remember renting the first one when it came out on the PS and liking it, despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of mech video games.

I still haven't gotten around to buying it, but the first one is on my list.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The first AC is one of my favorite PS1 games, but I've never gotten around to any of the sequels. My impression of them is that they are more muti-player oriented than mission oriented like the first game.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nah, the AC series doesn't begin to focus on the multiplayer aspect until almost the most recent titles. i'm not too good at versus mode, but as luck would have, there's a front mission online coming out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what about that new AC game coming out on PSP? its not oging to have any gameplay where you actualy control your mech, you just...watch...the fights. sounds weird.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I have these games, and I have to admit that I also like them (even though I'm not into mech games myself). The very cool thing is the fact that you can import your old guy into a new game. I just love that feature. Overall, though, the game is pretty difficult. It's very challenging to build a good mech and complete the missions without getting hit so much that you make little or no profit.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to collect games in a specific series, and I polished off my US Armored Core collection this weekend (last to get was Another Age on PS2). Very fun game, but it does take a commitment to be decent at it. I still need to finish off AC3

The new one coming out on PSP is AC Formula Front. No word on the PS2 version of that from Japan (or AC Ninebreaker, or AC Final Raven which was just announced). Hopefully they'll get their act together and get those out here!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol- topic hijack! topic hijack! hey rj- drop me a PM, i have something for you you'll find... interesting if you don't already have it...

anyway, the ac series rocks. i remember recommending the first game to a friend who loved it and nearly had a heart attack when i told him it was by the guys who did king's field- a series he can't stand at all

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember playing the original armored core on a summer ps1 demo. even as stripped down as the options were, two mechs going head to head in that mine-field was classic. i hope they incorporate some level-based weaponry, as my friend and i always used to base-hop on the level in phantasma/master of the arena with the cannons and weird structures surrounding an elevated platform.

-totally hijacking, but continues-

i still think the best mission was battling the awry human+ mech user in that weird multi-piered raining level where you can hear the pilot begging you to save him.