Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Station - what do you think of this design?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gaming Station - what do you think of this design?

Hello Fellow DP'ers,

We were recently contacted by a company in Europe who are looking to market a "gaming center" here is the US. They are actively looking for a US based partner.

While we might consider stocking something like this, I wanted to hear the option of a few fellow gamers on this unit. I'm not going to interject my own option here, please be frank in your observations, it will help us decide whether we'd want to carry this item or not. Website link is below which shows pic and description of the gaming centre.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

here is the pics and description of the item: www.gameulator.com

Gameulator Ltd are the sole manufacturer of a new and fantastic gaming centre, which includes some very unique features : Hydraulic Driving Arm and the Worlds 1st Home Style Gaming Enclosure, which enables the user to simply close themselves off from the rest of world and dramatically increase their gaming experience....( internationally protected design)
    Be sure to check in on J2Games.com!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kinda cool; kinda not. All that it really is, is a chair with places to attach joysticks, pedals, or a wheel. I could easily make something similar in functionaliy out of a school desk. At first the price seemed reasonable but then once you think about needing the dual one all of a sudden you are looking at $500+

-james

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, thats a chunk of change for that thing!

I like the idea, maybe not the part about sitting that close to a TV, but i like the idea.

But i know its something i could never afford.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not really my kind of thing. More for young kids but with a price tag like that, its not for kids at all. I hate products like these. It's like they were made with no market in mind whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgenotte
    Kinda cool; kinda not. All that it really is, is a chair with places to attach joysticks, pedals, or a wheel. I could easily make something similar in functionaliy out of a school desk. At first the price seemed reasonable but then once you think about needing the dual one all of a sudden you are looking at $500+

-james
    agreed. Its a neat idea, but nothing we couldent do in our own spare time. All I woul need to do to emulate your machine is sit 3 feet from my rv and put a table in front of me for my controllers.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0) The-Bavis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ChuckleFutz

I would think it would get uncomfortable rather quickly and nobody would use that tent.
    The-Bavis

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The product is not aimed at me or my gaming tastes, so predictably, I wouldn't ever buy one. That said, IMO...

I don't really see it as having any kind of advantage as far as storage or playing, whether it's for children or not. It doesn't provide as much space as an entertainment center or shelving, so the utility aspect is out the window.

Selling it as a replacement for a desk / chair combo strikes me as silly.

Ultimately, it's a vanity item, nothing wrong with that. It's something neat for a kid who has everything, or wants to have the "cool gaming item" on the block. But for the price of admission, I don't see a lot of interest being generated when other existing products (by HanaHo, X-Arcade, etc.) sort of cover similar bases in what is - to me anyway - a better package.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Ehh...it isn't something I'd spend my money on and I doubt too many people would be willing to stick that thing in their house. No interest here.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gameulator is a revolutionary new gaming and work station, which enables the user to store and access all their console and pc equipment in one unit.
    so, uh, how does one manage to fit 22 consoles into that thing?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, this thing has TWO uses, and ONLY two uses....

1.) Gran Turismo 4 w/Driving Force Pro Wheel.

It'd be perfect for that, sit right next to the action, good place to mount wheel, snazzy seat, etc..

2.) Steel Battalion

Nice for that real mech cockpit feel.

Otherwise, it's pointless. Lose the neon green, just make it all black. NO CHILD will buy this item, so show an adult sitting in it. This is something you're marketing to serious sim gamers, not kids. Give it a professional look, logo should be smaller and more tasteful.

The seat MUST be adjustable (like a car seat, reclines and slides forward/back) to ensure ergonomic compatibility with pedals for players of various sizes.

If you can market the single-player unit, with the adjustable chair, without the huge obnoxious logo in the United States for $299 (flat packed, for cheaper shipping), you WILL have GT4 nuts buying this, as it's cheaper than the frames of similar quality.

Problem with it for any other games is that it just completely negates any sort of multiplayer functionality. It really has to be a standalone thing for one or two uses, beacuse no one wants to unplug the damned console from the TV to carry it over, attach it to this thing, use it, then unplug it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Feedback

Thanks for the intial feedback.

Like I posted, this company based out of Europe approached us at J2Games about stocking it. I took a look at the item and at first couldn't find a decent use for it. And the tent cover thing just seems ridiculous to me.

My other concern is the size of the unit, it's large and a space hog. And I doubt you can get 22 systems in it!

How would you alter something like this to make it usable? What would you add or subtract? What kind of price-point would you consider paying?

Thanks again, your feedback helps us to carry the products you'd most like to see!
    Be sure to check in on J2Games.com!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like the idea a lot, but i definetly would not buy that, (because of the price) unless i won the lottery or something, and even then it would not be high on my "list of things to buy if i win the lottery." the design is okay but it honestly does not look very comfortable. i would rather lay on my bed with my wireless xbox controller. it just looks kinda corny. plus it would take up a huge amount of space, and i would only get the dual model because i play regular 8-player halo 2 games. even then it would be pretty useless for anything other than driving games and steel batallion. the tent is kind of a cool idea, it definetly looks better with that on there, but the idea of having a table infront of me and using my Xbox controller right in front of a screen is not very appealing.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by J2games
    How would you alter something like this to make it usable? What would you add or subtract? What kind of price-point would you consider paying?
    Pretty much the only thing you could add to make that worth it is a hot chick holding a tray of cold drinks.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I had tons of money I might go for something like that...but I don't have the room, don't have the money and don't really want it.

at the kid sitting in the chair with his head down, blasting something imaginary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-james
    Well, try closer to $800 if the $ price would have to equal the £ price.

That being said, I feel like the others do. It's kind of neat, but I would never buy it. There is not much storage for systems... even if it's only two or three.
    What have you done America?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never carry anything like that at the GOAT Store, if it is any help to you. The problem with things such as that contraption is that if a gamer wants something like that, generally they will custom build it. If not, they will want something specifically for their console, and even those aren't in high demand. I've had a 2600 storage unit from the days of the 2600 that I keep trying to give away, and no one wants it!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's definitely a Skymall kind of item.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by J2games
    How would you alter something like this to make it usable?
    It's not possible. Like Dan mentioned, "usable" is going to have a very different definition for most people, so trying to make it cater to some specific group or middle of the road analysis is only going to ensure it's dust gathering fate.

What would you add or subtract?
    I'd subtract the price tag. For me (and again, I understand that I'm not the target demographic), even at say $200 (leaving no margin or almost certainly a loss) I wouldn't be interested. Frankly, even if it was free I wouldn't be interested, too many higher priority things could occupy all that space.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funk Buddy

-james
    Well, try closer to $800 if the $ price would have to equal the £ price.

That being said, I feel like the others do. It's kind of neat, but I would never buy it. There is not much storage for systems... even if it's only two or three.
    are we the only ones to notice this price is in pounds? You add shipping and this desk chair unit is over $600!! crazy, plus what is with all of the branding of the outside tent, it looks horrible.
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought the tent was damn cool, but yeah, I'd need to know more about getting the logos off. Wouldn't be too hard to put some posters on it, but then...yeah :)

I'd perhaps consider this if the price was brought down; all I'd need was a basic table and arcade-style bench. The price doesn't seem outrageous seeing what you get.