Thread: X-Com: Alliance for PC....whatever happened???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default X-Com: Alliance for PC....whatever happened???

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the old X-Com: UFO Defense for PC. It was one of my first and favorite PC games when I got my old P90 back in the day. I've always been a fan of the X-Com series since day one...bought all the PC games brand new when they came out up until Interceptor (bleah!).

When X-Com: Apocalypse was released, it came with a poster for X-Com: Alliance. Alliance was a strategy FPS where you controlled an entire 4 man unit in strategic missions all in FPS via a HUD. Apparently, for some reason, the game was canned, although it seems to have been nearly complete. It was even listed in EB computers at the time....it was slated for release and then just vanished with no notice.

Microprose got sucked up by Infogrames, and when I called Infogrames, they told me they had no clue what I was talking about and to call their affiliates, Hasbro Interactive. I called Hasbro and they said call Infogrames. Very irritating. Suffice it to say...X-Com: Alliance never saw the light of day and I want to know what became of it...I REALLY REALLY wanted that game!!!!

If you want to know what the hell I'm talking about, here are links to some movies and pics of X-Com Alliance, including the complete game intro!

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/xcomalliance/

The strategy guide:
    http://www.primagames.com/strategy/book/4424/

The official webpage from Infogrames:
    http://www.infogrames.net/games/x_com_alliance_pc/

Some review material:
    http://www.cdmag.com/articles/012/15...liance_fl.html

This is only a bit of what's out there on this game...so where's the damned game????? So irritating! Anyone kow ANYTHING about this?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump... NO ONE has any clue??

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

THE ALLIANCE IS OVER

Another much anticipated title bites the dust as X-Com Alliance is canned.

It's always sad when we announce 'a death in the family', especially when that family member happens to be a much anticipated first-person shooter based on Julian Gollop's fantastic X-Com universe.

Having heard rumours that X-Com Alliance was hanging in the balance, we spoke to Simon Callaghan, PR Manager at infogrames' London Office, to see if he could put the record straight.

Unfortunately, Simon confirmed that Alliance has indeed been officially canned. "We acquired assets from Hasbro when Infogrames took over and looked at each title individually to see if they would fit in with our release schedule," said Simon.

And before fans start sending Infogrames poison pen letters, Simon did go on to explain that Alliance's future looked pretty shaky even before they picked it up from Hasbro. He also added that the title just wasn't "strong enough" or "far enough along" to warrant handing it over to a new development team.

X-Com afficionados shouldn't despair just yet, however. "I'm certain that the X-Com franchise will rear its head again in some form," Mr Callaghan assured us.

We hope so. But in the meantime, let us have a minute's silence

Not what you were looking for I know, but as far as I know it was just completely trashed and according to this the game wasn't really all that far along. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bummer. Thanks for the info tho. *sniff* Now I have a RARE COLLECTIBLE poster for an unreleased X-COm game tho! lol