Thread: Carts

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Carts

Hi Folks,

I have a couple of EPROM brazilian atari 2600 carts that don't work after thorough cleaning and I was hoping some one may be able to fix and/or dump them. Of course, I would gladly pay for the service if anyone was willing and able.

Hope someone can help....any takers?

Thanks so much!

Yours,
    Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you check and make sure *all* pins of the EPROM was socketed? Also are all the pins clean? (Both are assuming the EPROM is socketed and not soldered in)

There's always a chance the EPROM's busted. The mileage varies but even with protection from UV, EPROM data could evaporate after about 15-20 years and be no longer readable.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Rob:

PM me if you want me to give you a hand. I have an eprom burner, so I could conceivably dump the images. If they are indeed shot, then you can have new images burned to the eprom and reuse the cartridge assuming that is not where the problem lies.

Although I would say you have an electrical issue. I've been around a while and I have never come across a case of bit rot on an eprom, although I know it is possible. When an IC manufacturer specs a chip for a 20 year data retention rate, they are being conservative. In reailty that device may last 30+ years, they just don't want customers to complain if it doesn't. New EEPROMs have data retention rates specified at 100 years. Before I got a hold of a UV eraser, I attempted to leave a series of eproms outside for over a month in direct sunlight. Not a single one lost a single bit, so I feel worries about bit rot are over rated.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Goblin New EEPROMs have data retention rates specified at 100 years. [/quote]
    <snip>

100 years is a long time but they are good for something like 10,000 writes before it can't be reused. Many modern game uses EEPROM to store data (PSX, PS2, DC, GC, and N64 memory card uses EEPROM as well as most GBA game cart.)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote=CrazyImpmon][quote="Goblin New EEPROMs have data retention rates specified at 100 years.
    <snip>

100 years is a long time but they are good for something like 10,000 writes before it can't be reused. Many modern game uses EEPROM to store data (PSX, PS2, DC, GC, and N64 memory card uses EEPROM as well as most GBA game cart.)[/quote]

Actually the retention rate varies by specific device. For instance a 256k part from Xicor which could be used to release a homebrew for most classic systems has 100 years and 1 million write cycles:

http://www.xicor.com/folders/X28HC256.php

However their 4M version which would make one hell of a multi-cart is only rated at 10k write cycles.

http://www.xicor.com/folders/XM28C040.php

It all depends on what you are looking to do. If Rob just wants to use his shells, then it wouldn't matter if the eeproms were rated to 1K, 10k, or 1M, they would never see that much use. On the otherhand it is conceivable that a memory card might approach those numbers during it's life time. Also something to keep in mind is game manufacturers don't want things to last forever, it's called planned obselecence.