Thread: "dead" PSX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "dead" PSX

Today when starting a game on my PSX, it went to "Pause" mode during the opening screens & I couldn't skip them or the FMV. I powered down & reset, to no avail. I then tried various things: another disc, new controllers, different TV hookups, etc. NOTHING! After returning to the original TV (w/ S-video) I found the "Sony" startup screen & subsequent screens had odd colors! What happened? Obviously the problem's internal- did a chip fry? I need help!!! I have a PS2 to play the games on but I really want to save my PSX!

BTW, I've been using a Mad Catz 7-ft controller extension cable & an S-video cable (for PSX/PS2) but I'm not sure either was a factor...the PSX itself sits on a little-used (but working) VCR w/ ample ventilation.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like a dead chip.. might open it up and reseat all the cables and stuff.. blow the board off with compressed air.. If that doesn't work you can get a used one for $15.. they are everywhere now that everyone went to the ps2.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I thought it had to do w/ the S-video cable but I narrowed it down to the memory card/controller port(s). I heard elsewhere not to use extension cables w/ a PSX & I think it messd the console up. At first it worked w/out a card, but when I put one in it froze up ("paused") again. I tried switching/deleting some files w/ my PS2 but now the PSX won't work at all. Could I easily swap/switch out the mem card/controller ports?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    Well, I thought it had to do w/ the S-video cable but I narrowed it down to the memory card/controller port(s). I heard elsewhere not to use extension cables w/ a PSX & I think it messd the console up. At first it worked w/out a card, but when I put one in it froze up ("paused") again. I tried switching/deleting some files w/ my PS2 but now the PSX won't work at all. Could I easily swap/switch out the mem card/controller ports?
    If it's PSX, yes. At least with my model, the controller port and memory port are on a small board connected by a ribbon cable. I'd try and rule out bad ports by disconnecting the cable and see if the color is normal and the console loads. If they still won't work, the controller port is not the problem, a fried chip is.

I'm pretty sure PSOne don't have separate board. But it's not expensive for a replacement console.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, seems to be the controller/mem card module- a rectangular "block" about 1" by 4" (approx) containing the ports & wrapped w/ shielding. The module itself is connected to/detachable from the console via a small ribbon cable. I thought I could simply switch ports 1 & 2 but it's more than I'm worthy of. Where can I find a replacement module online? I can pull one out of another PSX but don't want the whole console- just the module!

Replacing my PSX is a last resort- I want to fix this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, seems to be the controller/mem card module- a rectangular "block" about 1" by 4" (approx) containing the ports & wrapped w/ shielding. The module itself is connected to/detachable from the console via a small ribbon cable. I thought I could simply switch ports 1 & 2 but it's more than I'm worthy of. Where can I find a replacement module online? I can pull one out of another PSX but don't want the whole console- just the module!

Replacing my PSX is a last resort- I want to fix this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a part, if you could find it, would cost you more then purchasing a used psx..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aak at pawns or fleas for a busted PS1 cheap. They are abounds!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can you explain this broken screen a little more? is it like the normal loading screen but blue and kinda broken instead?
    Broken? fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um... I really doubt that he's still caring about his PSX... it's been almost 8 months since the last post in this thread :P .

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hehe never know.. i stash my old stuff away until i have some use for it
    and besides i didnt read the post date ;D
    Broken? fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stumbled across this uder "view your posts"...

jjessop was kind enough to diagnose the problem involving a small chip near the module I mentioned...it had "15" on it. He sent me replacement chip(s) FREE & w/ my rudimentary soldering ability was able to fix it! Now it works like a charm. Sorry I didnt update this sooner...

Words of advice: ask, & you shall receive!