Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay stores winning auctions to sell on ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ebay stores winning auctions to sell on ebay

I know it's legal but I think it's unethical. I just got a TG16 and I was bidding on some games. I should buy from here but I've never done that before. Anyhow I was outbidded by bullseyegames on blazing lasers. "someone else" won the auction. I'm not blaming the guy, there are plenty of copies floating around there, but this will lead to inflating the price esp to a rare game like Air Zonk and so on. How should we deal with this?
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be patient and bid on another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also really dislike eBay shops winning auctions at high prices, just so they can sell them at even higher prices. The problem lies mainly by the buyers who are buying from those particular sellers at those extreme prices. Nothing much we can do about it.

-Speedy
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_NES
    I also really dislike eBay shops winning auctions at high prices, just so they can sell them at even higher prices.
    But what's the point? If they win the auction they are apparently willing to pay the most of all the Ebay members. I would guess if they then tried to sell it to those same members for an even higher price no-one would buy it??

This only makes sence if they pick up rare games hidden in lots, or with wrong/misspelled auction titles or placed in the wrong category..

Or am i missing something here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do see things like ToeJam & Earl buy it now $40 alot. But it don't bother me, if someone is looking to buy one and me and that seller both have them up... I will get mroe interest in mine.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont quite understand the problem. Did some guy just overbid you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I was outbidded by bullseyegames, a seller who has a store. It was either the yo bro or Blazing lazers game. Then I see it in their store, where it wasn't before...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, but whats wrong with that? Everyone are free to bid on whatever items they want.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

plain and simple people/stores are very greedy
    <a href="http://www.stormpay.com/?2337228">
    </a>

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

bulleyegames buys up many of the bigger TG lots to split up and sell in their store. :/

Yes its a free country but its still a shitty thing to do to collectors/gamers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluteg
    Yes its a free country but its still a shitty thing to do to collectors/gamers.
    I guess I still don't get the problem here ... so some reseller paid more than another fellow. So what? Either pay more, or respect the fact that you consider the winning amount exorbitant, move on, and let sleeping dogs lie.

Resellers who make a habit of spending above-market prices either burn out in time, are comfortable with small to no margins, or clearly aren't spending above-market if they can consistently turn the items around for more than they spent.

If you're cheap (like me), just own up to it and stop grousing when someone else comes along and grinds your bid into the dust. :)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It aint a shitty thing to do because then I get a second chance at owning it!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

Quote Originally Posted by "mumbai"
    I guess I still don't get the problem here ... so some reseller paid more than another fellow. So what? Either pay more, or respect the fact that you consider the winning amount exorbitant, move on, and let sleeping dogs lie.

Resellers who make a habit of spending above-market prices either burn out in time, are comfortable with small to no margins, or clearly aren't spending above-market if they can consistently turn the items around for more than they spent.
    No, because in a market with VERY few games (the TG market) it is very easy for sellers to hoard the items and inflate the prices by buying the other games offered for sale. Leaving a bidder looking for a specific game no choice but to buy from their store. Its not illegal, but its not the most ethical descision and makes it less affordable for a collector to buy the games he wants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Put me down as one of the people who don't see the problem here.

The goal of any businessman is to buy low and sell high. If he can buy his games and resell them at a profit then that makes his a successful businessman in my eyes. It also tells me that you under bid for the item when you bid on it since it was obviously worth more.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Put me down as one of the people who don't see the problem here.

The goal of any businessman is to buy low and sell high. If he can buy his games and resell them at a profit then that makes his a successful businessman in my eyes. It also tells me that you under bid for the item when you bid on it since it was obviously worth more.
    So true. This is how all business works. Buy cheap, seller high. So I have no idea why you think its unethical. Then you better quit your job, because your work are making money of you. Are they being unethical then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just taking the fun out of ebay. Finding a great deal has its degree of difficulty. I did win an auction Monday with 6 tg16 titles. 2 of which I wanted, Splatterhouse and Legendary Axe 2 for 25 bucks. The other games were okay but what I would like is boiling ebay down to an auction site. The store should have a seperate host site, which you can link to, however this should clear out the high priced madness to show the deals. Just a thought...
    Is there better auction site out there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcescott
    It's just taking the fun out of ebay.
    you see, this is where you're making your mistake. eBay is "fun" to you. It's a business for most others.

The store should have a seperate host site, which you can link to, however this should clear out the high priced madness to show the deals. Just a thought...
    There's two important things that you should keep in mind.

1) Buyers keep the prices high, not the sellers. If buyers weren't willing to pay the asking price then the prices would go down to the point where people did bid on them.

2) If there were another site where the same items generally sold for less than they do on eBay why would sellers want to list there? People sell stuff to make money, not to provide a deal for others.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's just taking the fun out of ebay.
    you see, this is where you're making your mistake. eBay is "fun" to you. It's a business for most others.

The store should have a seperate host site, which you can link to, however this should clear out the high priced madness to show the deals. Just a thought...
    There's two important things that you should keep in mind.

1) Buyers keep the prices high, not the sellers. If buyers weren't willing to pay the asking price then the prices would go down to the point where people did bid on them.

2) If there were another site where the same items generally sold for less than they do on eBay why would sellers want to list there? People sell stuff to make money, not to provide a deal for others.
    The resellers do cause a problem because they are artificially inflating all of the prices - the higher you have to bid to outbid bulleyes, the higher the closed auction value for that item will be, and the higher he will list that same title. In the TG16 market there are 3 or 4 resellers buying up the majority of items (using multiple usernames BTW) and then relisting them at a higher price. Obviously, it will have to hit a ceiling at some point...

The resentment that buyers are feeling is that these guys are going out of their way to outbid them, and then turning around and offering it back at a higher price - that type of behaviour doesn't tend to sit well with people. (and that is why these resellers started using different usernames to buy stuff).

But, at the end of the day, there is nothing "wrong" with what the sellers are doing, that is just how their business model works - if you don't like it, buy from folks on the message boards.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't bother me, as it is perfectly legal. Although the one thing that does miff me are all the side deals on lots with rare games inside. I've seen bullseyegames working side deals getting sellers to end auctions early at current price, I'm sure he's making offers above the price to end it, but at what price you don't know.. bullseyes has another account for buying, although he use to use his main for this too.

It's just that in talking sellers out of auctions & into set prices, these resellers are trying to get something for cheap before anyone else notices them, & just so they can turn around & relist for 10x more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will try buying from here instead. As soon as I get some money back into Paypal.
    I tried that once last week on Atari Age, buying off a message board.
    The guy wanted 20 bucks for a loose copy of Splatterhouse, 15 for Yo bro. I was asking 10 bucks, no dice. He had great titles, but still it reflects the same prices as ebay and their stores. Where did I go wrong? Again I'm not complaining at all, I'm just looking for the best resource.