Thread: PC Gamepads / Joysticks / Controllers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PC Gamepads / Joysticks / Controllers

What PC Gamepads / Joysticks / Controllers do you use (If any), and which might you recommend?

I've had seemingly random success with Gravis Gamepads.

The first gamepad that I attempted to own was Gravis' classic white, dogbone-shaped 4 button gamepad (gameport). I simply could not configure Windows 95 to recognise that device when was connected to my system.

I later purchased a Playstation-style 10 button Gravis Destroyer (USB model) for use with my newer (USB equipped) system, but returned it since the d-pad wouldn't input properly.

I finially found success in a black, SNES style 6 button Gravis Destroyer (gameport) which features 4 main action buttons and two triggers which provide 'turbo' functions for buttons 0 and 1.

Just yesterday I picked up an 11 (!) button gravis Xterminator (gameport), which is sweet since it not only works wonderfully, but its connection allows me to daisy-chain it with my Gravis Destroyer. The Xterminator resembles a Saturn gamepad with the addition of an analog stick, two flippers, and a POV 'hat.'

Some of you might wonder why I've stuck with Gravis products after those first few products failed to work for me. The reason is that Gravis controllers are supposedly well made and feature excellent compatability, whether you're using DOS, classic Windows, or NT/2K/XP.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like the Air Flo, it has a good D-pad.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ummm.... why did you start 3 threads on the same topic? Some locking might have to take place...
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I just use one of those PS2 to USB adapters. I got tired of buying controllers meant to look like PS2 controllers but didn't really feel like them. Now, I can use the real deal.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An Xbox controller essentially is a USB controller. You just need to get (or make) the adapter and the drivers to make it work.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both ps2 to usb and xbox to usb converters. They work fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CartCollector
    Ummm.... why did you start 3 threads on the same topic? Some locking might have to take place...
    Digital Press conviently went "under construction" as I hit SUBMIT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    An Xbox controller essentially is a USB controller. You just need to get (or make) the adapter and the drivers to make it work.
    Can a PC effectively read all of a console controller's input? For instance, does it read input through the thumbstick? Do you get support for each and every button? Does the controller work with DOS games / DOS emulation (assumes you're using Windows)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I just use one of those PS2 to USB adapters. I got tired of buying controllers meant to look like PS2 controllers but didn't really feel like them. Now, I can use the real deal.
    Same

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where'd'y'all get them console controller to USB adaptors? Ebay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I use all kinds of adaptors for my controllers from various systems. Check out http://www.blackchopper.com for an adaptor for some older systems.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Can a PC effectively read all of a console controller's input? For instance, does it read input through the thumbstick? Do you get support for each and every button? Does the controller work with DOS games / DOS emulation (assumes you're using Windows)?
    Yeah, if you cut open the cords for an Xbox controller and a USB cable, and then connect the wires (they are even the same colors) and plug it in to a PC running Windows, the computer will recognize it as a USB device.

Details on how to do this here: http://www.fury-tech.com/Modding/Xbo...Conversion-Mod

Then you just need drivers for it. There are several different drivers available, but my favorite is by a guy named RedCl0ud: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

All of the buttons work, and the triggers can even be configured as additional joystick axes, or rudder and throttle controls. It should work with anything that uses DirectInput.

Also, RedCl0ud has written drivers for the Live headset, the Music Mixer microphone, and the memory card, which can be used if plugged into a controller using the controller drivers. He also has a driver for the DVD playback kit. That one takes some work as far as wiring it is concerned, but it's nice if you want a remote control and you have a DVD playback kit you're not using. A warning about the memory card driver-it reformats the card and will erase what is on it, and is meant to be used as a storage device like a USB key. It is NOT for transferring your saves to a PC. So don't use the memory card drivers if you have something from the Xbox saved on the card. If you want to transfer Xbox saves from the memory card to a PC, you need the Action Replay drivers available at http://us.codejunkies.com.

I haven't bought an adapter for the controller yet (since I just made my own), but they can be found on eBay or Lik-Sang or somewhere else-just search for "Xbox USB adapter."

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I second the xbox do-it-yourself adapter. Great to play PSO with an xbox controller, set up teamspeak and use you live mic!

I also like the Magic Box adapter, which makes saturn, DC, and psx controllers usb-able. The only problem with it is that the DC analog is less-than-great and my psx twin arcade stick won't work on it. But the saturn controllers are perfect and that's what i use most the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Yeah, if you cut open the cords for an Xbox controller and a USB cable, and then connect the wires (they are even the same colors) and plug it in to a PC running Windows, the computer will recognize it as a USB device.

Details on how to do this here: http://www.fury-tech.com/Modding/Xbo...Conversion-Mod

Then you just need drivers for it. There are several different drivers available, but my favorite is by a guy named RedCl0ud: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

All of the buttons work, and the triggers can even be configured as additional joystick axes, or rudder and throttle controls. It should work with anything that uses DirectInput.
    Thank you SO much for that information!

P.S. What sort of USB cable are we talking about? USB 2.0, or the original kind (or does it not matter)?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any USB cable will work. I don't think there is actually any difference between a cable labeled for USB 1 or 2, but I could be wrong. In any case, a USB 1 cable will work, as that is what the Xbox uses.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I too use a PSX/PS2/N64-to-USB converter, and it works fine. Just don't forget to activate the Analog button for the joysticks.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a Saitek Dual Analog. It's Saturn-style, with 2 minijoysticks. The D-pad is wonderfully responsive, but the shoulder buttons feel cheap and loose (like your MOM. Ha!)