Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best and worst game cleaning liquids....

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be careful when it comes to WD-40..

From my experience with working on my SeaDoo and speaking to mechanics, the problem with WD-40 is that it attracks dust and dirt! The effects of it are good, but there are better, non-dirt attracting forumlation out there that pros use on their vehicles..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default I do use OxiCleaner

I do use Oxicleaner to clean my contacts. It was properly developed to do this kind of thing... to clean retro cartridges from oxidation. It leaves my contacts very very cleaned and shining. It doesnt contain oil nor anything abrasive. Take a look at this video:

http://youtu.be/JR47qhMlFMM

You can find the product on Mercado Livre (the brazilian version of eBay) for something like 15 dolars, in BRL.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ViNGaDoRjr For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

6 year necro bump of a thread from 2003 and I have to mention this since it worked well for me even though it's not quite a liquid until you water it down, it's more of a paste:

QuikGlo for Heavily Corroded Contacts. QuikGlo is a Cleaner and Polisher all in one that I saw on Jay Leno's Garage for metal in general. It feels pretty coarse, it won't flow onto a Q Tip easily unless you water it down and I admit I've scratched a toilet handle with it so it's not the gentlest cleaner. I've used QuikGlo on Brass that was Blue and it turned back to Brass color easily.

Recently, I purchased some Genesis games and 4 wouldn't work; the old Rubbing Alcohol and Q Tip trick wasn't working after many tries (This isn't 2006 anymore, corrosion may be more severe now) but watered down QuikGlo did work for 2 of 4 non working games. I'm still out on the other 2 but it cleaned the contacts very well where Rubbing Alcohol wasn't cutting through the corrosion. It also stripped the original gold plating off but personally, I don't care about that so much when I'm trying to get the game to work.

QuikGlo costs about $15 for an 8 Oz container but you'll be keeping it for a long while if you're only going to use it on stubborn games. Also (as they note in the Jay Leno's Garage video below,) if QuikGlo gets hard then you just wet it a bit and mix it; good as new.

https://youtu.be/v7TnNEBy3tI
    Last edited by Slate; 09-20-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i got a jug of this stuff that works well when theres corrosion
    https://www.malcoautomotive.com/Meta...h-details.aspx
    have had it a long time. its pretty harsh too so gotta be careful not to take the plating off

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-20-2019)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Recently, I purchased some Genesis games and 4 wouldn't work; the old Rubbing Alcohol and Q Tip trick wasn't working after many tries (This isn't 2006 anymore, corrosion may be more severe now) but watered down QuikGlo did work for 2 of 4 non working games. I'm still out on the other 2 but it cleaned the contacts very well where Rubbing Alcohol wasn't cutting through the corrosion. It also stripped the original gold plating off but personally, I don't care about that so much when I'm trying to get the game to work.
    Did you try using an eraser on the contacts first? I only do this with stubborn games, having to open up the cases and clean the contacts with a good quality eraser. Usually that fixes any issues with corrosion, I cleaned an NES game with thick green corrosion this way and got it to work. If what you're using is stripping off the gold plating I wouldn't use it, without the plating those contacts will just corrode far worse in the future and might not be repairable then.

I did know of a game store that used the thin green Scotch pads to clean contacts, it seemed to work too. I just didn't want to risk it being too abrasive so I used other methods for myself. It didn't strip off the plating though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Did you try using an eraser on the contacts first? I only do this with stubborn games, having to open up the cases and clean the contacts with a good quality eraser. Usually that fixes any issues with corrosion, I cleaned an NES game with thick green corrosion this way and got it to work. If what you're using is stripping off the gold plating I wouldn't use it, without the plating those contacts will just corrode far worse in the future and might not be repairable then.

I did know of a game store that used the thin green Scotch pads to clean contacts, it seemed to work too. I just didn't want to risk it being too abrasive so I used other methods for myself. It didn't strip off the plating though.
    Oh. No, I hadn't heard of the eraser idea until shortly after using the Quick Glow (which did work to revive 2 Genesis games but as you said, can cause worse corrosion later.)

I suppose re-coating the contacts is an option but I haven't looked into it yet. I may re-coat these 3 carts if they can be brought back to life. I have security bits coming in the mail soon so I may make a thread about these 3 carts within a week's time.

EDIT, some years later: I don't think this can cause corrosion again. Quick Glow has metal polish in it, so that shouldn't be an issue.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 05-21-2022 at 07:17 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

oh yea thats an old computer trick from bi-metal contact corrosion:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Hi-Pol...s%2C216&sr=8-5

these are my faves to use but some times i get something that this cant cut through

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-22-2019)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Anyone try any circuit board contacts cleaner such as this?

CRC QD 11 oz. Contact Cleaner
    Quick-drying formula
    Leaves no messy residue
    Used for cleaning electronics and safe for use on plastics
    $7.98
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-1...30-6/202262505

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Anyone try any circuit board contacts cleaner such as this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-1...30-6/202262505
    Not on games. I've used this other one on other electric items, though (e.g. a volume knob on a CD player and my lawnmower tractor's wiring) and this solution does evaporate faster than 91% Rubbing Alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Ele...66032540&psc=1

- Austin