Thread: 99% Pure Isopropyl Alcohol (the inexpensive contact cleaner)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 99% Pure Isopropyl Alcohol (the inexpensive contact cleaner)

For those who want an inexpensive cleaning solution for their game carts, rubbing alcohol aka isopropyl alcohol is a good solution. However, it is best to avoid the kind that you can buy in grocery stores or pharmacies, as it has anywhere from %10 to %30 water in it. Water is bad for electronic contacts as it will cause them to degrade in the long run. Hence what you really should use is anhydrous (without water) isopropyl alcohol that is at least 99% pure. A bottle of the stuff is pretty inexpensive and will last you a long long time. I buy from these guys:
    http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/Produ...SC=824%2D500ML

You can apply it using q-tips or some other inexpensive applicator that is not too abrasive. Just spread it over the contacts and then start brushing each individual contact until it is clean. Also make sure that the alcohol completely evaporates before playing the game, as it is conductive and flammable! However, since it is so pure, it shouldn't take long to evaporate... hence it is a good idea to pour a small amount in a bottle cap sized bowl and keep the bottle of alcohol tighly closed when not pouring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've thought about this before but ended up deciding that, because I dry off the contacts so quickly and thoroughly, a water/isopropyl solution is okay. I use a dry swab or two and, if I'm doing a lot of carts, compressed air. What do you think?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    I've thought about this before but ended up deciding that, because I dry off the contacts so quickly and thoroughly, a water/isopropyl solution is okay. I use a dry swab or two and, if I'm doing a lot of carts, compressed air. What do you think?
    Well, the circuit board material and even the metal contacts themselves will absorb some of the water. If you surf around sites that sell the anhydrous isopropyl, you will notice that they stress how important it is that the solution is anhydrous and therefore safe to use for cleaning electrical equipment that may corrode. At the link above, you can get a bottle that should last for years, for just $6.50. Not much more expensive than the 70% isopropyl that contains water.

Also, remember how blowing on a cart with your mouth can make the game work, but in the long run, it degrades the contacts even more. If you use 70% or 90% isopropyl, you could be doing the same thing. The game certainly works in the short term, but just like the moisture from your breath seems to evaporate quickly and not cause problems in the short term, the moisture from rubbing alcohol will also damage the contacts in the long term. You will have to clean your carts more and more frequently, and any moisture absorbed into the contacts may also cause problems for your 72-pin connector.

Be safe and spend the little additional time and money to order a bottle of anhydrous 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I am convinced . Do you know where I can buy anhydrous isopropyl brick and mortar?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    I am convinced . Do you know where I can buy anhydrous isopropyl brick and mortar?
    Follow the "Buy Now" link to find a seller in your area.
    http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/824.html