Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people think Killzone sucks so bad?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why do people think Killzone sucks so bad?

One thing I kept hearing over and over again, after absorbing all that was e3 2005, was that people were so suprised by Killzone 2, because the original game sucked so bad.

They kept saying that it was amazing that people were so hyped for a game, considering the fact that Guerrilla had made the first game, and the first game was such a dud.

This suprised me quite a bit, because I had no idea that Killzone was a critical dissaster, at least according to all the websites and G4TV, etc, etc.

When I was re-united with a PS2 this past Xmas, Killzone was one of my favorite games to play, along with San Andreas and Ratchet 3 and others. So I was quite suprised to see that this game is getting dogged by alot of people.

So for the people that hate it, what is it about it that sucks so bad?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Well, it was hyped as a Halo killer for one. That got expectations up.

Then it came out with some nasty frame rate problems that at times make it unplayable.

It's not a complete disaster. It's a competent FPS, just not what they said it was going to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, people are just hype junkies, and if somthing doesn't live up to the fact, even though its a really well done product, they just reject it.

Shows the intelligence of some people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I picked up a copy of OPSM in Australia, plastered across one page was the slogan "In a perfect world, all games would be developed by Guerrilla!" (Well, that's at least pretty close.)

The universal complaints are about dumb AI and some really obvious graphical blunders - people have reported turning around and running straight into a wall that the engine had just decided to materialize.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Aside from the grapical and A.I. problems one must also remeber that ther PS2 controller isn't comfortable for FPS games. I, for one, still have a bitch of a time playing Half-life on the PS2.

Having the two sticks on the same axis makes them a real bitch to use. Alot of people who were hyped for this "Halo-Killer" were also people who had played halo and other fps games on the big black box and they were annoyed by the controls on the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Different strokes, I guess. The PS2 controller is my favorite console controller for FPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I'm with you Shop. I never had a problem with the PS2 controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Killzone....Killzone...is that the game where the commercials were hyping up the "innovative" shooting from behind cover? It looked no different than any other third person military shooter to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, that game was Kill.Switch and that game was awesome.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins
    Different strokes, I guess. The PS2 controller is my favorite console controller for FPS.
    2 questions

1. How many FPS console game have you played and how many with controllers other then the PS2 ones.

2. How the fuck can you handle having both sitcks on the same axis? I can't stand it and i know i'm not alone. In fact i use to think the complaint was almost unversial.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default well...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    The universal complaints are about dumb AI and some really obvious graphical blunders - people have reported turning around and running straight into a wall that the engine had just decided to materialize.
    Well, after playing throught the game four times, i NEVER had that happen. you'll see dead bodies change position and textures suddenly correct themselves, but as far as geometry appearing out of nowhere, i'd love to hear which level so i can see for myself.

other than that, most of the "halo-killer" comments seem to have come from the press, which has been doing that benchmark shortcut crap for far too long. games should be judged based on their own merits, not someone's narrow view of a genre. i could see what guerilla wanted to do with the first game, but time and processing power weren't on their side, obviously.

some things killzone nailed perfectly were the momentum of running with a weapon and the overall feeling that the player was on a battlefield. i hate fps games that feel as if you're riding on a silky smooth cart while shooting waves of enemies (goldeneye: rogue agent is the perfect example of this), and other games where you've got great AI, but lose the ability to run like hell for a few seconds just to get away from danger are also annoying (start a list, lol).

While the texture swapping in killzone was troublesome to look at, it really didn't affect the gameplay at all. the sometimes choppy frame rate and enemy AI bugged me more, as did the non-ability to commandeer enemy vehicles and use them against the helghast. other than that, the very last level was a bit too "um, we're out of ideas, so let's just send 200 enemies at the player" annoying. i just stayed in one place and shot soldiers until i coul get upstairs, then shot the last boss through a doorway while he was running around confused. oh well- i'd imagine guerilla has some surprises for us in the sequel.

g.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

First, Sony themselves hyped Killzone as a Halo killer, and that was the games undoing. Halo was never the be all end all of FPS games, but when Killzone went into development it was all the rage. Blame Sony for that one.

I've never played the game, but from what I understand it's an overall average shooter, compounded by the fact that you're playing a game in which you shoot at things from a first person persepctive without triggers. Sony using the same controller for the PS2 as the PS1 was one of the worse things to happen to the industry.

I've tried to play FSP games on the PS2 shitpad, and I simply can't. The placement doesn't bother me so much as not having triggers and the horrible quality of the analog sticks themselves in comparison to the Xbox and Gamecube sticks. Every PS2 shooter should support a keyboard and mouse, seeing as the system sports two USB ports right on the front of it, but it doesn't and that's really sad, because I feel that could have immensely improved the overall killzone experience for a lot of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Here it goes

1. It was hyped as the Halo Killer for the PS2
    2. Its multiplayer was choppy and nothing close to Halo
    3. Single player was good, but that is not whay many play Halo

bottom line: solid FPS, but lets face it, the PS2 is just underpowered to do a game right like this.

I expect alot from the PS3, including an answer to Halo!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Here it goes

1. It was hyped as the Halo Killer for the PS2
    2. Its multiplayer was choppy and nothing close to Halo
    3. Single player was good, but that is not whay many play Halo

bottom line: solid FPS, but lets face it, the PS2 is just underpowered to do a game right like this.

I expect alot from the PS3, including an answer to Halo!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

2 questions

1. How many FPS console game have you played and how many with controllers other then the PS2 ones.

2. How the fuck can you handle having both sitcks on the same axis? I can't stand it and i know i'm not alone. In fact i use to think the complaint was almost unversial.
    1. Many. Red Faction, RF II, Kilzone, 007 Nightfire, Medal of Honor, etc. I had one third party controller, but it sucks. Dual Shock, always.

2. I never knew it was a problem, and I don't understand why it is. The thought never even entered my mind. So they're on the same axis; how is that worse than the Xbox controller? I'm not being harsh or defensive, I just don't understand at all.

so much as not having triggers
    What the the L1, L2, R1, R2 buttons???

I love the Dual Shock design. I always have. It's been my favorite controller in the past two gens. The Gamecube controller is a close second, but the button config doesn't always feel right for some games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh noes! Tehy r on teh s4me 4x15!!1!

Look. Just admit that you are getting old and crotchety and don't want to learn another controller. It happens to all of us.

If your first dual-stick FPS was Unreal Tournament on the PS2 (like it was for me), then you'd probably be bitching about the fucked-up off-axis stick placement on the Xbox controller.
    Halo sucks, BTW.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    1. Many. Red Faction, RF II, Kilzone, 007 Nightfire, Medal of Honor, etc. I had one third party controller, but it sucks. Dual Shock, always.

2. I never knew it was a problem, and I don't understand why it is. The thought never even entered my mind. So they're on the same axis; how is that worse than the Xbox controller? I'm not being harsh or defensive, I just don't understand at all.
    It's hard to explain why the offset axis is more comfortable to me and why it's more comfortable to a lot of people. I have a feeling it has something to do with a psycological thing, but for some reason many people perfer the offset axis. I actually have co-ordination problems using the Dual shock and i honestly can't tell you why. I've used all 3 console controllers for fps games and i just find the dual shock uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bargora

Oh noes! Tehy r on teh s4me 4x15!!1!

Look. Just admit that you are getting old and crotchety and don't want to learn another controller. It happens to all of us.

If your first dual-stick FPS was Unreal Tournament on the PS2 (like it was for me), then you'd probably be bitching about the fucked-up off-axis stick placement on the Xbox controller.
    Old and crotchety? Don't want to learn another controller? I think you'd better calm down there, son.

First off i am neither old nor crotchety. I'm 20 and liberial minded.

Second, despite the fact that i do really love the xbox and the type S controller i am not some MS loving fanboy who's afraid to learn another controller. I take my controllers seriously and i learn them well. Fuck i even went the extra mile to buy 2 loigtech wireless ps2 controllers just to enhance the experience. I know the controller well and i have never liked the placement of the left thumb stick. I've gotten use to using it for platformers and for MGS3 but i can't stand it for fps. I've also never understood why sony likes to keep it there. DC, GC and the Box all have it in the better spot, but for some reason sony wants to be different.

Third, the first dual-stick FPS game i played was Half-life on the ps2 and i didn't like the controls for it. I've also spent a good amount of time playing time spliters and UT for the ps2 and i still can't stand the left thumb stick. Hell to be honest i have such problems using to thumbstick that i often will switch to playing UT and Half-life on the dreamcast.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to say that getting back to the topic of Killzone, I guess I never heard all the "it's a Halo killer" stuff. So I didn't start playing it with any of those kinds of expectations.

Actually, my expectations for most PS2 games are very low, considering the system was poorly designed, so when I play a game like Killzone on it, it actually impresses me quite a bit.

I do understand that the game can be very choppy at times, and that there are some A.I. problems, etc, etc, but I also think the game has a cool "feel" to it and it sets a nice mood with the atmosphere and the sound, etc.

I thought that it had great production, and that the developers were basically trying to make a game that the PS2 really can't handle, but they did it anyway, and despite the fact that it has some serious issues, it's still pretty damn impressive overall.

But I can see that if the hype for it was off the charts, then people can be very much dissapointed with what they ended up getting.

Anyways, why does Guerrilla (the developers) spell Guerilla like that, with the two R's?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also had gripe with the ps2 controller I just don't think that they ever expected you to use both, It seemed like an after thought. for me the best controller ever for fps was the n64, I really do think it plays better for fps than the cube.

I played killzone and it seemed to go in the catagory of many the fps games this generation of just meh. Doesnt do much wrong but just does everything all right. There are to many games like this at the moment.

At least we can laff about really bad ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I of course just entered the PS2 scene not too long ago. I saw this game for $5 but they were missing the disc (WTF?). I recalled some commercials and hype on the game but wasn't sure of the reviews. Just recently I looked a few reviews up and dug into the older threads and it looks as though it wasn't a Halo killer but had some decent single player attributes. So, over a year later is it considered a must FPS to get on PS2 with its life comming towards the end? Is this one of the must get games for the system? When looking back does the game still perform as one of the better titles compared to these ending market launches? And finally will Killzone 2 be placed as a PS3 launch or will the PS2 possibly pick it up as well?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]