Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Car Battler Joe (GBA)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Car Battler Joe (GBA)

Ok, here’s one a lot of people missed because it started out in the bargain bin. Car Battler Joe for the GBA was a Natsume release and irritatingly enough, exclusive to the US as far as I know. I don’t know if there was a Japanese release or not, but I do know that when I went to buy it in Canada, not only could I not find one, but no one even had it in their computers! Anyway, I finally had to track a copy down thanks to a kind fellow DPer.

When I got the game, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’d heard it was good and I knew how hard it was to find, but other than that it was a “racing/RPG” I didn’t know anything about the game itself. Naturally I had to play it, and surprisingly I was instantly hooked! Car Battler Joe is, of course, about a young car battler named Joe. Big shock there huh? Well, the story is about Joe wanting to become a famous car battler like his father, who has mysteriously disappeared. Apparently Joe and his family live in some sort of post-apocalyptic Mad Max-ish sort of world where if you want to actually leave your village you have to have a heavily armed vehicle to fight off all the ruffians. Hell, sometimes the bastards don’t even wait for you to leave the village!

In Car Battler Joe, you are trying to solve the mystery of what happened to your father, as well as raise money to keep your family business going. You take on contracts such as courier, assassin, and many more. Some pay well, some pay diddly squat. You can use the money to upgrade your business, make modifications to your car, and buy items. The game is fairly simple, but where it really shines is the battling. Battling in Car Battler Joe consists of driving around the roads between towns. Invariably, the routes are littered with enemies chasing you left and right, gunning for you at every turn. Small cars, large cars, even bosses lie in wait for you on your perilous journeys to help pathetically helpless townsfolk establish new villages and build your business and reputation. The battles are in a sort of 3D which reminded me quite a bit of the old SNES Mode 7 scaling methods. The cars are fast and the action can be brutal!

The music and graphics are pretty standard for the GBA, and I found some of the music to get tiresome later in the game, but you’ll be too busy having fun to even notice. A racing/destruction game combined with an RPG-style town interface that allows for micro-management of your vehicle turns out to really be a bit of the best of everything. Chances are you’ll find yourself hooked as well! If you can’t find Car Battler Joe in the local bargain bin, you’ll probably have to resort to eBay to grab a copy. Right now, sealed copies are selling for around $20-30 each, and very few are on eBay. Demand is low as no one really heard about the game or knows how good it is. This is one title I expect to skyrocket in price eventually! Fair warning though: The ending to the game is rather lame. It’s the gameplay itself that makes this one good, not the big finish!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sleeper of the Week: Car Battler Joe (GBA)

Yet another great pick, Nate. I reviewed this one for GameSpy a couple years back: http://archive.gamespy.com/reviews/f...battlerjoegba/

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a good one. I went ahead ordered myself a copy for under twenty bucks at an online store. Hopefully they won't say that it's actually out of stock despite what the site says.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard that used copies are supposed to be pretty cheap at EB if you can manage to find one there. In fact, I'd probably pick it up if I ever did.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow you picked a game i've played and really loved!

the game play is what really makes this this game shine.
    however it did have a really weak story( also driving around for 2 hours trying to trigger a story event was kind of frustrating)

as for finding it used in canada, i know walmart carried it for a while and i've seen it used at EB Games. note: I did pick mine up in Michigan
    12 US SMS games to go
    74 US DC games to go

Now Playing:
    Guild Wars:
    (W/Me Furby Slayer)
    (Mo/R Goat Herder Teo)
    Riviera: the promised land

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I originally got into this game playing it through an emulator on my pc.

I really enjoyed it and wasn't able to track it down amoung any of the local stores in my area. I ended up getting a still sealed copy of Ebay for $13.00 which I considered money well spent.

Played it all the way through and enjoyed it. It's one of the few GBA games that I've played and beaten. Like Slayer I hated having to drive through areas however after you completed certain stages you were given the option to skip which helped speed up cross country treks.

Also after you beat the game it would still let you continue playing which was a nice touch for a GBA game.

Also anyone that played and enjoyed the old Car Wars pen and paper game would probably enjoy this game, as it's the closest video game representation available on the GBA.
    We saved some guy's life. Killed some vicious murdering lichs and blew up something big. I'd call that a pretty good night.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm...I had this game, but I sold it awhile back because I wasn't overly thrilled with it, and the dialogue was as confusing as hell. Maybe I'll give it another shot if I can pick it up on the cheap.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool review there, Maxlords. Car battler Joe is definitely a game deserving of the "sleeper of the week" title in my eyes.

I still remember finding a new copy of CBJ for 12.99 at Gamestop one day last year. Man was I glad I returned Megaman and Bass and picked this up instead.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Note that Yuzo Koshiro supplies the soundtrack, which I loved (along with most of the game).

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Maxlords, I'll keep my eyes open for it as I don't collect GBA games but I am always looking for a few more decent ones to play. It'll be good on my Gameboy Player.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    Hmm...I had this game, but I sold it awhile back because I wasn't overly thrilled with it, and the dialogue was as confusing as hell. Maybe I'll give it another shot if I can pick it up on the cheap.
    Well, I'd say that it's not for EVERYONE, but it's a damned good game. And yes, the dialogue is mucho confuso sometimes.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."