Thread: Lumines Endurance Challenge (aka Water, Flower & Lights)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Default Lumines Endurance Challenge (aka Water, Flower & Lights)

Well, I did it last night. 999,999 on challenge mode.

It really wasn't that hard, it just took a long time. 2:14 to be exact. It loops you through the stages twice, then it drops you off in Da-Di-Do (I think, it's the "stay focused" track; didn't verify)

I actually found that I could have kept going seemingly forever, but since the score caps at 999,999; I forced myself to crash so I could go to sleep.

The stage is pretty cool and definately worth unlocking. Now all I have to do is beat vs #10, and I should have all of the skins (Moon Beam and Tin Toy).

Anyone else accomplished this feat? How long did it take you to hit a million?
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't get how people are doing this, my highest score is 27K and I was on like level 43... Are there any pointers/hints you can give me? I've played it probably about 20 times now and I thought I was doing decent until I read online how well people have done.

I just got a PSP and this is my first game for it (used so no manual included) - I really like it, but I can't seem to figure out why I suck so bad. It's taken me awhile to get out tetris mode (without thinking I'm making lines rather than squares).

Oh and I guess this thread should be moved to modern gaming now since I dug it up...

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Once you get through the first set of levels, the speed more or less caps out so you can definately hit a plateau if you keep up.

Some levels are automatically slower than others too and they'll let you make up the slack. But on these levels the beam goes slower across the screen which equals more points, but may throw off people just barely hanging on or compound mistakes quickly.

I found that once you hit that plateau of speed, just keep clearing stuff as quickly as you can. Don't try to make a big line eraser to earn points quickly at those stages unless you know it's wide open.

As for the earlier levels, I'd say that strategy still applies. Learn to look for literal patterns in the blocks and try to replicate those patterns. A good way to practice this is to finish puzzle mode. Do it a lot and making easy point patterns will become second nature. Another thing I do is work just one side of the screen if it gets hectic and drop crap on the other side of the screen.

But whatever you do, do not checkerboard your squares. They're very difficult to clear in that formation. Even if you have to waste blocks, do it where they don't checkerboard and with a little work you can dig yourself out of any hole pretty quickly.

So I'd recommend:

1) Do puzzle mode completely. It'll build up fundamental skills in putting down patterns.

2) Don't skimp out on verses mode. A good verses player may not necessarily be good in normal mode, but it will help to speed up your game making you a stronger player in the faster levels.

3) Learn to not checkerboard your blocks under any circumstances. And if you do, address them quickly so you don't build up even more checkerboarded patterns.

4) Don't go for the gusto until you're confident in your skills. This means treating the line clearer blocks as normal ones until you're strong in your pattern making. Then go for the BIG points.

With Lumines Live!, Lumines PS2, and Lumines 2 on the PSP around the corner, a Lumines second-coming is right ahead of us. Hopefully more people will take an interest in this title and play at the top tier.

And here's hoping they drop the score cap too!
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

well i just double my score and time. made it to lvl 79 just now with 57 minutes of play and got 185,000 (it was around that). man i dont know what snapped in me. its like the day i actually got through all 100 levels of zoo keeper (ds) on the tokoton mode
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

well i just double my score and time. made it to lvl 79 just now with 57 minutes of play and got 185,000 (it was around that). man i dont know what snapped in me. its like the day i actually got through all 100 levels of zoo keeper (ds) on the tokoton mode
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well thanks for the tips, I'm definitely getting better in fact now I just am kind of done with the game after about 45 minutes of playing, but I'm not any where near dying... Wish they had save states or something. I still haven't cracked 100K yet, oh well... I tried puzzle mode for a minute, but completely didn't get it. I need to find a manual.

Thanks again,
    Nate

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just played this game for the first time in over 8 months. I guess I've been too busy. I had time to play last night waiting in line to watch X-men. I did get up to 74,000+ points in just under an hour. I tripled my previous score from months ago. I don't know how I'm gonna ever get to all 9's.
    Viva la raza, y los putos que quieran pedo, que se metan el pinche dedo.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad someone else is struggling like me.....

Nate

nice pic of the eaze

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Christ, I love this game

I'll be playing it again soon after reading this thread.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I think I made it past 200K three times, cycling through the songs once.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to score 1 mil, but I'll keep trying.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Want to add that I played a bit of Lumines over my vacation. I think I executed the biggest block combo I ever have, 31 blocks cleared in one sweep!

I was pretty proud of that one. Laid it down on "Shake Yo' Body".
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Moving to Modern Gaming.
    #vbender

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

late last year i was playing Lumines at least 2 hours a day and then my girlfriend showed me her high score of 500,000 and i lost interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I am currently at 597,000. I gradually get higher as I play. I remember when I hit 100,000 then 200,000 and so on. I've had the PSP since January and this is just about all I play. Its great to play for just a few minites and then just put the psp in sleep til the next chance.

I am taking a break though as I got Gradius Collection. I'll be back at Luminies soon though as I go for my next milestone of 600,000. Just doing it one step at a time. I'm sure by years end I might hit 999,999.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My highest score is 330k. I can get to around 300k everytime now but it seems I have a mental block at the "Lights" skin. Practice makes perfect I guess.

A good tip though is when you have a block like this

xo
    xx

Drop it on a single block of the same color as the majority color, like so.

()x
    oo

It makes this and clears one. I use this so often its ridiculous.

()o
    oo

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man...I've never even attempted that. I suck hard at lumines. I can only get to like 5 or 6 on vs CPU, I think the furthest skin I've gotten to on single play is that shake your body one, and I CAN NOT !@#$ING figure out the 4x4 block puzzle. I've even read step by step guides showing how to build it and it just simply did not work. Oh well.