Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony1's guide to a kick ass gaming HDTV system for $180

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anthony1's guide to a kick ass gaming HDTV system for $180

Anthony1's guide to a kick ass gaming HDTV system for under $200 out the door!!!!!

I have decided to make this guide for all the people that say that HDTV's are too damn expensive, and they would like to have a HDTV but can't afford one. This guide is meant to show the non-believer out there, that you can indeed afford a kick ass HDTV system! I have put together a system for you, that will allow you to play all your favorite games and devices on this HDTV. You can even play all your non HDTV devices on it! And the best thing, is that if you have any equipment that supports HDTV's, like a XBOX, or GameCube or PS2 or Dreamcast or Progressive scan dvd player or HDTV Satellite box or HDTV Cable box or HDTV tuner box, then you can hook that stuff up to this and experience it the way it really was meant to be experienced, on a real deal HDTV!

For under $200, out the door, you can put the whole deal together.

Now there is no excuse for you not to join the HD era!!! So Climb aboard!!!

Ok, here is the Anthony1 guide to getting a "Real Deal" Evander Hollifield HDTV experience for under $200 out the door. Now, let me first say, that what you are going to have is a 21 inch display device that can handle both 480p, 720p and 480i. You will have 2 nice quality speakers, (not the crappy ones that they put inside most stereo TV's) and a subwoofer, for a nice 2.1 sound system. And you will have all the plugs you need, to hookup every video device in your home that has a composite or better video plug. So you can use this with a Nintendo NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation, etc, etc, besides the latest high definition and higher resolution gaming systems. Plus you can also connect your DVD player to this, (especially good if you are using a progressive scan DVD player) So, we are talking the whole home theater experience. Basically look at this, as the best 21 inch HDTV money can buy. Now, I must admit that there are a few downsides. The biggest downside, is that this is not a widescreen HDTV. The second biggest downside, is that the connections are a little more complicated than a ordinary TV. But the end result, will still blow you away, and it is very much worth it to have this in your game room for only $180.33 out the door!

Here is what you end setup will look like: You will have a black 21 inch PC monitor as your main display. I recommend putting this on a TV stand meant for 27 inch TV's. You want the middle of the screen to be slightly above your eyeball level if possible. Now, connected to the back of this 21 inch Black PC monitor will be one VGA cable, that will go to a VGA Switchbox. The VGA swichbox allows 2 different VGA sources to be connected to the VGA monitor. You simply switch it to A or B, depending on what you are using. Now, on the A side, will be a Component to VGA cable that is connected to a Mad Catz Component HDTV System Selector switch box. The VGA side goes into the VGA Switchbox, and the component side goes into the Mad Catz Component HDTV System selector output connection. On the B side of the VGA Switchbox is a VGA cable that goes to the Upscan Converter Device. This is the device that you plug all your non HDTV equipment into. Like all your non 480p video game machines and your VCR and your non HDTV Cable TV box, etc, etc. It will accept composite or S-Video. So anything that has a composite plug or a S-Video plug can be connected to this. Now, you want to plug your HDTV capable items into the Mad Catz Component HDTV System selector, and your non HDTV stuff into the Upscan Converter. For sound, you will have the 2.1 gaming sound system with some nice decent quality speakers and a subwoofer. Basically plug in whatever source you are using for sound, into this device.

Here are the items you need, all currently available on Ebay:

21 inch black monitor ($65)

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?/V...204601423&rd=1

component to VGA Adapter ($15.90)

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?/V...sPageName=WDVW

Mad Catz HDTV component switcher ($13.99)

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?/V...sPageName=WDVW

2.1 Gaming Speaker System ($25.49)

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?/V...586560241&rd=1

Upscan Converter for all non High Def sources like VCR, non progressive scan DVD player, non HDTV cable TV, non HDTV Satellite TV, Camcorder, N64, PSone, Saturn, SNES, Genesis, NES, etc, etc. ($49.99)

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...sPageName=WDVW

VGA Switch Box ($9.98)

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...sPageName=WDVW

All these items total up to $180.33, so you actually have 19.67 left over from your $200 limit. You can use that towards a XBOX High Def A/V pack. Or a PS2 component cable, or a Dreamcast VGA Adapter (note, if you are using a Dreamcast VGA Adapter, you might want to get a VGA Switchbox with more than 2 switches, so you can plug the Dreamcast VGA box right into that) Of course you can also order a Nintendo GameCube Component cable direct from Nintendo.

Ok, Please. Somebody take this challenge and put a system together like this. You don't have to use these exact components, but these components give you a good idea. This can be done for under $200. You can get a 2.1 sound system for under $25.49, you can get a Upscan Converter for less than $49.99, you can probably get a VGA Switchbox for a buck at a flea market. You can buy your 21 inch black PC monitor locally. Get a good quality used one for $65. If you save money on getting any of the other items for dirt cheap, then add that amount to the monitor. This is totally dooable guys! Come on, if you live somewhere, where you can rent a HDTV cable box for like $5 extra a month, you could be watching HDTV on this thing!!! Watch the NBA Finals between Miami and San Antonio in High Def.

WARNING - You must use HDTV devices that can either output at 720p or 480p. This setup will "not" play 1080i material. Most HDTV devices will convert 1080i to 720p if necessary. But check with your Cable or Satellite HDTV providers first before ordering equipment.

Also, you definitely want to try Amped 2 in 720p for XBOX as soon as you get this up and running.

Mods, if you would like to make this a sticky for a little while, that would be a great idea, because I know that tons and tons of gamers can benefit from this information.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, you always make huge posts But it seems like a good guide. You didnt include shipping tho, might cost alot to send a TV and stuff.. not sure how the prices are over in the US.

Btw, those ebay links are 404

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, but what about RGB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    You beat me to it !

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I wouldn't sticky this- the links don't work.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't you mean "warm chocolate pudding?"

But really this is a cool guide, if I wasn't planning on buying a nice HDTV in the near future I would try this option out.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people who would want or care for HDTV would not really find any enjoyment in a 21" monitor and $20 2.1 sound system. That's the problem. It's like watching 20 year old video games on a 25 year old 15" monitor just to see the startling warm chocolate puddin colors.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Damn, you always make huge posts But it seems like a good guide. You didnt include shipping tho, might cost alot to send a TV and stuff.. not sure how the prices are over in the US.

Actually it does include shipping. The monitor is $5, and the shipping is $60 anywhere in the lower 48 in the U.S.

All of those amounts include the bid price and shipping, for the total price.

Yes, this guide is more for people living in the lower 48 states.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja

Actually it does include shipping. The monitor is $5, and the shipping is $60 anywhere in the lower 48 in the U.S.

Yes, this guide is more for people living in the lower 48 states.
    That would matter more to us if the links weren't 404'ed.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23

I copied the URL's exactly, I don't know why they didn't work. For some reason when I posted them on here, a lot of information didn't show up in the post.

Here are the Ebay item #'s. If you go to Ebay and enter in these numbers, it should take you to the auctions that I was looking at.

Upscan Converter for all non High Def sources like VCR, non progressive scan DVD player, non HDTV cable TV, non HDTV Satellite TV, Camcorder, N64, PSone, Saturn, SNES, Genesis, NES, etc, etc. ($49.99)

VGA Switch Box ($9.98)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23

I copied the URL's exactly, I don't know why they didn't work. For some reason when I posted them on here, a lot of information didn't show up in the post.

Here are the Ebay item #'s. If you go to Ebay and enter in these numbers, it should take you to the auctions that I was looking at.

VGA Switch Box ($9.98)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the thing is, RGB is the best for all systems that can't display a 480p signal. That means everything pre-Dreamcast.

So when it comes to the N64, PSone, Saturn, Jaguar, 32X, Sega CD, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Sega Master System, Neo-Geo, etc, etc, the best way to play them is on a RGB monitor with the corresponding RGB cable.

This guide is for a dirt cheap HDTV system for gaming for $180.

The idea behind this setup, is this is the unit that you play your XBOX, your PS2, your Cube and your Dreamcast on. And when you get a Xbox 360, this is the one to play that on too. Same thing with the PS3 and Revolution when it comes out.

Believe you me, when you see a game like Amped 2 or True Crime or MVP Baseball or Tony Hawk Underground or NBA Ballers or any of the other 720p XBOX games on this, you will have thoughts of the XBOX 360 dancing around in your head.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Good idea, dude.
    On a side note, this is ESPECIALLY helpfull to those who enjoy PC gaming...they already have a lot of the equipment (probably better equipment too) and they're already used to gaming on a 21" screen. Everybody should share this idea with their computer geek friends.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not all of your prices are BIN's

The 21" monitor has a STARTING price of $5 with 5 days left.

There's no way you're going to get it for $5
    In fact this monitor sells for a MINIMUM of $75 used plus $70 S/H
    And thats if you get lucky enough to win it that cheap.

Same with most of your other items.

So you should bump this up to a MINIMUM of $400 and for that amount you might as well get a 21" HD LCD.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    Not all of your prices are BIN's

The 21" monitor has a STARTING price of $5 with 5 days left.

There's no way you're going to get it for $5
    In fact this monitor sells for a MINIMUM of $75 used plus $70 S/H
    And thats if you get lucky enough to win it that cheap.

Same with most of your other items.

So you should bump this up to a MINIMUM of $400 and for that amount you might as well get a 21" HD LCD.

OK, here is the thing. The Ebay examples, are just that. Examples. It's pretty damn easy to get a used black 21 inch PC Monitor for about $80 locally. You just have to go to look around at places that carry used PC items. Heck, you can find old computer monitors at flea markets and garage sales. But I personally found one for $80. And I could buy another one for $80 if I wanted to.

So you can definitely get a used 21 inch monitor for $80 if you look. The reason is nobody really wants CRT monitors anymore. All anybody cares about is the LCD ones. So if you are patient, you can get a really good used 21 inch monitor for dirt cheap.

The next highest priced item is the upconverter for $49.99. I have seen these devices for cheaper. They had ones in the playstation days that could take a composite or S-Video signal and they have a cheap line doubler built in to convert it to 640 x 480. Sure it doesn't actually really make the source look better, but who cares? It's just to be able to watch a VCR movie on it, or non-HDTV cable TV on it or whatever. You can probably get a cheapo one for $30 if you look around.

The next highest priced item is the 2.1 gaming speaker. You can actually get a better one than this for $25. There are tons of these available for auction, and tons of this particular one, and you can actually win this with 1 bid for the minimum price if you are patient. Or you can pay about $10 more and get one at Game Crazy, because they carry it there too. So if you have credit at Game Crazy, might as well get one there. The sound on these things is pretty damn good. Even has some decent bass. I heard these at a GameStop and the game was Midnight Club Dub Edition and it sounded damn impressive for just a little ass 2.1 system.

The next highest priced item is the component to VGA Adapter. I actually bought one for $12.95 from SF cable on Ebay before. Man, I should have bought a bunch of them, because it works perfect. I need one for one of my Dreamcasts, to hook it up to my living room HDTV. Anyways, since I bought mine for $12.95 (with shipping and everything) from SF Cable on Ebay, it seems that the prices are higher now. But if you are patient, you can definitely get one of these for $20. Basically, you just need one that will pass the 720p and 480p signal, and basically all of them will. You want one with a VGA on one end that will plug into the switchbox, and a male component on the other end to plug into the input slot on the Mad Catz HDTV Component System Switcher.

The next highest priced item is the Mad Catz HDTV Component System Switcher. This comes to $13.99 with shipping. I actually bought 3 of these things from GameStop awhile back. Their price at the time was $14.99. However, I have seen some places selling these for $29.99, so you have to look around to see who has it at the normal lower price. But you can definitely get these for $14.99 if you look around.

The last item was the VGA Switchbox. At $9.98 this is actually a total ripoff. You should be able to get a 4 switcher at a Flea Market or Computer parts discounter for a couple of bucks at the most. With 4 switches, you can hook the Mad Catz thing up to one, the upconverter to the other, the Dreamcast VGA box to the third one, and a HDTV reciever that has a vga out to the 4th one. (like a RCA DTC-100) Do a search on that, it's a very, very good HDTV reciever that you can get used for a decent price.

So let's re-take a look at more realistic pricing

1. 21 inch monitor - Should be able to find used, locally for $80 cash n carry.

2. Upscan Converter - should be able to find a cheapo gaming upconverter for $35. Maybe at a place like Fry's Electronics.

3. 2.1 speaker system - There are tons and tons of the these on Ebay. Find a good one with a low ship, and you should be able to find one that you can win on the minimum bid. You should be able to get one of these delivered for $30 or less. Well say $30 for the sake of argument.

4. VGA to component Adapter - you just need a basic one that will pass a 480p and 720p signal. That's it. Should be able to find one for $25 or less. Again, you have to be slightly patient.

5. VGA Switchbox - Should be able to get a 4 banger at a Flea Market for like $2 at the most. Let's just say $5 for the hell of it.

Ok, let's see what the total now is $80 + $35 + $30 + $25 + $5 = $175

$175 !!!!!

That's actually lower than my original estimate. And that is with a more expensive monitor and more expensive VGA to Component cable. So you still have $25 more wiggle room to stay under the $200 threshold.

I'm telling you, I could put this together for myself for $175, and you can too.

And I guarantee that anybody that takes a chance on this, and spends $175 will be totally blown away by the end result. If you have a XBOX and Doom 3, then you owe it to yourself to do this. If you have a XBOX and can get a cheapo copy of Amped 2 or MVP Baseball (both 720p games that look F'ing ridiculous), then you owe it to yourself to do this.

If you currently have a deposit on a XBOX 360, then you owe it to yourself to do this.

I would do it myself if I didn't already have 3 HDTV's in my house and two RGB monitors!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Most people who would want or care for HDTV would not really find any enjoyment in a 21" monitor and $20 2.1 sound system. That's the problem. It's like watching 20 year old video games on a 25 year old 15" monitor just to see the startling warm chocolate puddin colors.

I have responses for both of your takes

1. can't find any enjoyment in a 21" monitor and $20 2.1 sound system

Ok, the thing is, you have to have the monitor at the right height. And then you have to sit the correct distance from it. But if you do get the thing at the right height, and if you do sit the correct distance from it, then you will be totally immersed into it's world. I'm telling you for real, dog. I have a 13 inch Commodore 1084 RGB monitor that will put 95 percent of all displays in existence to shame. "Ah gee Anthony, it's only 13 inches! That's soo small. How could you possibly enjoy that?" Well, let me tell you, it's only 13 inches, but if you sit the right distance from it, and you have it at the right height, it will totally immerse you into that RGB world. And this is coming from somebody that has a 113 inch Movie Theater screen in their damn Garage. So I know what the F, I'm talking about. By the way, don't millions of gamers play games on handhelds? Those are tiny screens, and it doesn't seem to impair them. This is a 21 inch screen we are talking about. It's basically the same screen as a 20 inch Stereo TV. Sure, a 20 inch TV isn't huge, but tons of people game on them with no problem. And you are putting this whole thing together for $175 freaking bucks out the door, so what the F do you expect, a freaking Plasma?

2. like watching 20 year old video games on a 25 year old monitor with a 15 inch screen in warm chocolate pudding

Well, you are a little bit off on that. First off, the oldest system that does RGB is the Master System. And I don't really recomend the Master system that highly in RGB, because it has so few colors on the screen that it doesn't really take advantage of RGB that much. So the RGB era, really started with the TG-16, Genesis, SNES & Neo-Geo. Those were the systems that started the RGB era. And it started in 1989. So in 2009, they will be 20 year old games. But not now. 25 year old monitor? My commodore 1084 monitor was manufactured in February 1991. A fine year I might add. So it is exactly 14 years old. So you are off 11 years on that one. 15 inch screen? Actually the 1084 has a 13 inch screen. Even smaller. But believe me, size means not. Take it from Yoda baby. Good things come in small packages.

So to actually answer your statement/question, Actually it is like watching 16 year old games on a 14 year old monitor with a 13 inch screen. Only it's much better. It's a 21 inch screen, and instead of a lower resolution in RGB, which is amazing by the way, this is progressive scan in 480p and 720p. I guarantee you, if I put this setup in your house and forced you to sit down and play Amped 2 and MVP Baseball on it in 720p, you would say, "where's the nearest ATM, I'll get you that $175, you are going to leave this thing here!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
    Good idea, dude.
    On a side note, this is ESPECIALLY helpfull to those who enjoy PC gaming...they already have a lot of the equipment (probably better equipment too) and they're already used to gaming on a 21" screen. Everybody should share this idea with their computer geek friends.

This is a very good idea for PC gamers that also happen to have a XBOX and plan to get a XBOX 360. Or if they have a Dreamcast or PS2 (of course need the 480p PS2 games to take advantage of it) or a GameCube (again need the 480p GameCube games which luckily is the majority of the best games on Cube like Resident Evil 4!!)

Or if they would like to see the NBA Finals in HDTV but don't want to fork over huge dough for a HDTV. For the people that have a cable company like Comcast that offers HDTV, it's a really good idea. Because if you are already getting digital cable from them, you can switch to the HDTV cable box for like $10 more a month or less. It's definitely worth it, to check out HDTV on a trial basis.

Yeah, the great thing about computer junkies, they've already got a large VGA monitor, they already have the speakers, so all they need is the various adapters. The 4 switch VGA box ($2 at flea market or garage sale), the component to VGA cable ($25, or less for basic version that can pass 480p and 720p), the Mad Catz HDTV switcher ($14.99 at certain retailers if you shop around). If they wanted to actually use it as a TV as well, then they would need the upscan converter, but since they are also using this as their PC monitor, then they probably don't need the upscan converter, because they won't be using it as a regular TV.

so that is basically all they would need. So for them, they only need to spend $42 to be up and running. Of course they would also need to get a XBOX High Def component cable or a PS2 component cable or a GameCube component cable or a Dreamcast VGA box.

By the way, the cheapest of those is the PS2 component cable. I've seen the PS2 component cable on Ebay for like $10 (with shipping and everything) That's how much I paid for mine. It's a cheapo one, but it works great. The next cheapest is the XBOX High Def cable. The one from Microsoft is $19.99 on sale at places. But you can get a cheapo version that doesn't have the Dolby Digital Audio, it just has regular stereo, you can get one of those on Ebay for about $10 delivered as well. I got one myself for $10, for one of my setups. It's super cheapo, but again, it works fine. The next cheapest would be a Dreamcast VGA Box. They are kinda popular, but if you are patient, you should get one for $20 or less delivered. And if you are a Dreamcast fan, you need to slap yourself in the face if you don't already have a VGA Box. 95 percent of the Dreamcast lineup is 480p, and looks absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Jet Grind Radio anyone? And of course the most expensive one is the GameCube cable. I think it's like damn near $40 to get one of these. Of course if you have Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime 1 or 2 or plan on getting the new Zelda, you have absolutely got to have this damn cable no matter how damn expensive it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

:/ Why are you guys ragging on Anthony (kind of)?

I appreciate the guide, so thanks for posting it. I know HDTV is your forté, and people should be grateful for you offering to help them out.

As a side note: This setup sounds almost ideal for a dorm room...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

excellent idea man, i was actually about to ask how to connect hdtv stuff to my monitor, since i already have a great monitor and speakers, im definately gonna put that thing together, thanks for the post, greatly appreciated. you really put some effort into it to help people have fun. game on buddy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    excellent idea man, i was actually about to ask how to connect hdtv stuff to my monitor, since i already have a great monitor and speakers, im definately gonna put that thing together, thanks for the post, greatly appreciated. you really put some effort into it to help people have fun. game on buddy.

Hey, if you get the necessary cables and stuff, and actually try this out, could you please post back about the results and maybe a few pics of the setup, and how much it cost you total to add the HDTV capabilities to your current setup?

It would do an awful lot to dispel the myth that this isn't as easy as pie and one of the best kept secrets out there.