Thread: Any other games like Culdcept?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any other games like Culdcept?

I've always enjoyed overly complicated board games, but I really like them on consoles because the game does all the math and deals with all the rules for you.

Does anybody know of any games like Culdcept out there (US preferably)? It doesn't have to be card collecting, but a board game style game.

Thanks ^_^
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Suguro's Quest for the Famicom, japanese but if you download the rom you can get a translation patch.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People tell me Disgaea is kinda like it, but I have no idea if there's any truth to that whatsoever. Other than that, I'd be surprised if there was anything at all like that game. It's almost too unique for its own good. :P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The US market doesn't get too many of these, but the Japanese enjoy the "table game" genre as they call it much more. It's a shame that the US market doesn't develop or import these games, as I love them too and think that there would be a nice niche spot for them.

I'd suggest giving Gaia Master Kessen!: Seikiou Densetsu a try. It's a DC game made by Capcom, and there's a FAQ available that should allow you to play it despite the Japanese.

Dioramos is another one for the Playstation that's similar, but it would be much harder to import. A FAQ is also available for it.

There are many more in Japanese, but I haven't had the opportunity to play them. Hopefully someone else can help with any that are import-friendly.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

there's a series known as "Momotaro Dentetsu" which is hilarious, however I've been able to get this game going only because of my friend Dan who's fluent in japanese. If you can find a way to get better with reading japanese, this series is worth it.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadows of the Tusk

Very similar to Culdcept, but very different too. It's Japan only but it's almost entirely in English. Check out this page:

http://home.netvigator.com/~tarot/Games/CuldTusk.html

You also might be interested in Seikai-Risshiden. It's a very obscure Japanese exclusive for the Saturn that I just got recently. But it would help alot of you could read Japanese. I don't really know what I'm doing with it, but it seems to be something like a cross between The Game of Life, Sorry, and Bonkers, if you're old enough to remember Bonkers.

However there's more to it than that, you have a piece that you move around the board, which is huge and consists of tons of screens in varying sections. So the spaces that you move your piece around travel through this gigantic world. You also have a character who represents you as a player I guess, and your character has some kind of stats like some kind of RPG elements, I'm really not sure what all it really is.

But, it's dirt cheap. I got a factory sealed copy on ebay for only $5 shipped, so you could try it out used for even less. Be warned that I found it boring as hell though, so also see my comments about it in Steven's thread about obscure Saturn imports in the Import Mania forum, it is truly weird.

I've also heard that Tenant Wars is very good. It's Japan only too, but supposedly it's very similar to Monopoly, but with some differences. Wish I could tell you more than that.

Oh yeah, there's also Texthoth Ludo, It comes with a deck of 22 custom designed Tarot cards, so you only play with the trumps, it's not a full deck of 78 cards. I don't really know anything else about it though, except it's Japan only too. Sounds like it may be pretty interesting to me though.

There's also an entire series of games on various systems called Momotaro *whatever* including one for the Saturn. So see my thread about it in the Import Mania forum also.

As for everything else that I mentioned, they're all for the Saturn. There's tons more if you like hex based type war games, and if you do there's tons more for every other console ever made, but usually they're all Japanese only.

So, if that's what you're looking for, it would take us all a long time to list all the ones there are for every system, but if you really wanna know I could list all the ones that I know of and what systems they're all for sometime soon.

But, I don't wanna go to all that trouble if that isn't what you're looking for, because there's dozens of them that I know of myself, and lots of them are long running series of games that span across multiple platforms and have been doing so for years, so it would be an extremely long list.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Are you talking about PS2 games only? Or do PC games count?

Civilization was actually a board game first. IMO it works *way* better as a video game.

I've recently gotten into the board game "Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition" - and was told it was like Master of Orion. So I picked up MOO3 and it looks *really* damn complicated at this point (I haven't actually played it much yet, just read about what everything means.... ).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doesn't have to be PS2. I have:

NES
    SNES
    Playstation/2
    XBox
    Gamecube
    N64
    GBA
    NeoGeo Pocket Color
    Saturn
    Genesis
    Sega CD
    Master System

I'd prefer US games, but I'll definitely look into the imports mentioned (especially the ones that are more easily played with no Japanese knowledge, as I'm barely trying to learn it).

Thanks for all the responses.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Semi-thread jack. Does anyone know anything about these two imports and how they may differ from the U.S. version? There isn't a lot of info in English out there:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...pt-70-3e6.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...pt-70-dgi.html

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosage
    Semi-thread jack. Does anyone know anything about these two imports and how they may differ from the U.S. version? There isn't a lot of info in English out there:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...pt-70-3e6.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...pt-70-dgi.html
    There's a bit of difference. The PS2 one has some more cards, a couple more maps, and some more medals, etc. I'd try to get the PS2 one, but the DC one is basically the same game. I can't tell how much they differ from the US version, but as far as I know, the US version should be very close the PS2 one that you've linked.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game that does play a lot like a board game is Unlimited SaGa. It's somewhat of an aquired taste though, a lot of people don't like it but I don't think it's bad. There is a good game in there but it does need some effort to understand it since the instructions suck and some of the features and menus are more complicated than they need to be. I recommend reading this FAQ (copy / paste the link):

db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/unlimited_saga.txt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Board Game: Top Shop" for PS1

Pretty fun, if simple. Think Monopoly except with stores in a mall, and you get to pick the value of the merchandise you put in the stores.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    "Board Game: Top Shop" for PS1

Pretty fun, if simple. Think Monopoly except with stores in a mall, and you get to pick the value of the merchandise you put in the stores.
    I haven't played this one, but isn't this the same game as the import Tenant Wars that Iron Draggon was talking about earlier? If it was, it was released in Japan as a budget release, so that's why it's pretty simple. Either way, I'll try and track it down.