• Nintendo 64

12 34.29%
  • Sega Master System

7 20.00%
  • Sega CD

11 31.43%
  • Sega Saturn

5 14.29%

Thread: Which systems should I STOP collecting for.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Which systems should I STOP collecting for.

I see the opposite of this question all the time, "which system should I collect for next", "which games should I play/buy next". so I figured I'd ask for everyones help on the other side of it.

I have a few systems that I only have a small amount of games for (20 or so) and I figure I should probably cut back since I'll probably never complete them. The problem is that I really have no strong feelings one way or another towards them and I'd say the games I have for each one are about equal in quality/rarity/price and use they get from myself. I just seem to randomly pick up games for every system cause "I'm sure I'll want them someday". But no longer!

So in an effort to streamline my collection and save some space, I'm asking for your opinions on which system I should give up on and why. Whether it's personal preference, collecting ease, or future value, let me know what you think.

Along with the poll up top, here's each system and a couple small highlights for each one if that helps

Nintendo 64 - complete Harvest Moon and a Factory Sealed Wetrix

Sega Master System - complete Phantasy Star and Montezuma's Revenge

Sega CD- Lunar Silver Star Story, and Flashback QFI

Sega Saturn - Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon

Poor Sega . I realize it's nothing to exciting but all the more reason to give up one of them. Thanks for your imput

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Even if you never complete any of the collections, there's nothing wrong with having a small assortment of games for a system if you enjoy them. I'd get rid of whichever system's games you care about the least. However, if you're only in it for the collecting and doubt that you'll ever have a complete collection for any of them, then I'd just recommend getting rid of them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just buy the games you want to play - it's alway about playing the games and not about having them all in a box on the attic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I've "heard" that most of the good games for the Saturn also appear on the PSX. I'd probably drop either that or the Sega CD, personally.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I would say no only should you stop collecting for them, you should sell the collection. I am in the process of focusing down to a lower number of systems, and I find I enjoy the ones I have more now that there isn't so much crap lying around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I say screw the colection. Buy only the games you want, and not the games you need because it starts with the letter F. If you dont want the game, and have no plans of ever playing it, why worry over it?

To answer your question though, I say pick the Saturn. Why? Because your going to sell everything you own thats Saturn related to me for pennies on the doller making my colection only that much larger. This is corect, you shall sell them to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I've "heard" that most of the good games for the Saturn also appear on the PSX. I'd probably drop either that or the Sega CD, personally.
    Nah... it's the opposite! Most of the really good Saturn games were Saturn exclusives... the VF games, the Panzer games, WD releases, Sega's arcade translations... that sort of thing.

Keep it all I say.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

I would say get a notebook and set it in front of your gaming setup. Write down the name of every system you are contemplating removing from from you collection. For every hour you spend on one of the consoles put a mark besides it's name. Do this for a month or so and at the end pick the one with no or very few marks and sell it.

OR you can just ditch the N64 and sell me your complete Harvest Moon for a reasonable price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say stop collecting for the N64. Why? Because, although I could be wrong, I get the feeling that the prices for it are going down, so if you change your mind later it will be cheaper.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think N64 games are the easiest to get right now. Well, maybe not complete, but easier to find than CD and Master System games around here.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted N64... just because they'll probably be lingering in used game stores for awhile now (hell, you can still get NES/SNES games at just about any used game store).

The rest will only get harder to find with time... especially Sega CD/Saturn...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Which systems should I STOP collecting for.

I don't like the Sega CD, and I'd rather go with Mega CD (Japanese). I've got a grudge against space wasters, you see.

SMS is definitely not a system to stop collecting for, and saying that surprises me, but it's true! The Power Strike games, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Monster World III: The Dragon's Trap, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Golden Axe Warrior, and other titles. Very much a system to stick with; just be very careful about what you pick up for it. I wouldn't suspect the hardcore gamer needs more than a few dozen titles for this system, so it's not a huge money sink.

For N64, this is definitely the time to get games for it. I've got a bunch of things to get for the system...sometime.

Saturn? Heh, I'm going import-only there as well. Sega did horribly with the US releases of disc systems until the Dreamcast, unfortunately...and long boxes are the spawn of Satan. For the most part. I don't ever seem to find games that use the extra real estate for bigger cover art, instead making sure to repeat some ugly-as-hell background pattern over and over. Shame on Sega...and why is Flack saying the Saturn's best games are also on the PSX? There's enough exceptions to make your head spin :)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

Well Ed Oscuro... I actually agree with you for once. The majority of the quality Saturn titles are NOT on PSX. The Saturn imports that support the 4MB expansion cart are much better than their PSX counterparts. Also you have all those Sega made titles that will never be released on any Sony console *cough* Panzer Dragoon Saga *cough*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm usually a reasonable person! ...usually! :)

As for how playable those expansion cart games are, well...I've got Samurai Spirits III on the Saturn with the RAM pack, and I've got the actual Neo Geo cartridge as well...eh, what's the use. The SNK titles are pretty much a last resort purchase, but the Capcom titles are definitely worth getting unless you've got a Q-sound era CPS cab...so far I've just got Cyberbots (the LE package), and that's a great purchase if you can get it at the right price (I think mine was $80, it was brand new but otherwise not too great...and I ripped off the outer plastic on the box, oops, but hey, I kept it o_O)