Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disgaea fans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Disgaea fans?

I'm not much of an RPG'r I must say, but I do tend to favor the SRPG genre, particularly FF Tactics.

But this Disgaea game has got me hooked. I'm on New Game+ with over 80 hours logged in and I like it more with each passing hour. I love all the intentional loop holes, the insane and neverending statistics, and the hunt for legendary and high ranked items. This game is the epitome of "enhance my charactor beyond all possible belief", while still offering that greater challenge just around the corner.

I didn't care for the story much (though, yes it was funny), or even the storyline battles that much, but this game just exudes excellence in the post game/sidequest world.

I'm only level 100-200 for my chars but just opened up the Cave of Ordeals so I plan on 3x or 10x those levels within about 5 or so more hours of gameplay.

Anyone else get snagged by this game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Yeah, I'm going to have to try it again. I got it when it was brand new and something else came out that I felt more compelled to play. I really did like it and will get back to it soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried this game a couple of times, but I always get distracted and move to something else. I plan on really getting into it, eventually. It seems very well done. I picked it up about 6 months ago, but games like Psychonauts and Astro Boy have kept me from commiting to a 80+ hour game.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this game and rank it as my all time favorite RPG see avatar). I have logged easily over 100 hours in it, but am no where near as close as you since I forgot to transmigrate characters such as Laharl and Etna (doh!).

I've also played La Pucelle a bit, and it simply cannot hold my attention like Disgaea did/does. I own Phantom Brave, but have only opened it to listen to the soundtrack. Strangely, I continue to buy all NIS SRPGs on launch day, and I am eagerly awaiting Atelier Iris (it looks so pretty!).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default toot!

well, you'll be pleased to know that NIS is bringing out generations of chaos for the psp in 2006. it's a side story of sorts to a ps2 series that's up to it's 5th installment, if i'm not mistaken. last time i spoke to jack niida, the head of NIS America, he said GOC was his favorite SRPG- i should bug him and see if it's possible for the company to afford releasing one or more of that series here within the ps2's lifespan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mh i've got it, and i tried it once, but i didn't have the time to play it back then, so that didn't work out

i think i should give it another try some day...
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really good game. I loved the hilarious dialouge in the game's cutscenes (japanese of course...the english voice overs are HORRIBLE). My favorite cut scenes are laharl's bitch slapping of naming that one idiot mid boss and the "scandalous picture" cutscene. LoL.

I started to take on some of the sidequests but I got too tired of leveling. I put in around 50 hours and got laharl up to level 2000+ something after 3 transmigrations around level 1000. GOD the stats were horrifying. Geez...I remember how horrifying it was when he was 200 and I solo fought the final boss who was like level 90 or something. He had the most HORRIBLE death I've ever witnessed in a video game. Even with a maxed statistician and god like sword leveling just took too long for me to keep it interesting.

It was pretty damn funny once I leveled up to around 600 because the stupidly annoying congress couldn't do shit about anything. If I wanted a law passed it would be PASSED. Those who did not vote with me were executed terribly. It's all about that map with the 3x3 enemies (9-1 I think) and the first level in heaven with the vampires on the exp grid. Your levels will soar.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the greatest line has got to be the one where he talks about a horses penis. (someone has to post that line, cuz I actually forgot it, maybe it's too early...)

Yeah, greatest game ever. Definitely a top 10 of all time. I logged over a hundred hours, and finally stopped just because I wanted to play another game. I never transmigrated laharl, I did do etna, and didn't notice ANY difference at all. I don't think there's really much of a point in trans'ing them.

I'm on La Pucelle right now, great story, great gameplay, but I don't like the dark world part of it, I don't like how the purification is set up (I almost never purify anything unless it's convenient) I don't like how the items level up, combining the items is useless. And even though I sound really negative, it's still a GREAT game
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    YI never transmigrated laharl, I did do etna, and didn't notice ANY difference at all.
    After transmigrating, Laharl is just as powerful at lvl 40, as he was at level 80.

It's a necessary element if you want godly stats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am so hooked on that game it's unbelievable!

And wasn't the horse's penis actually an item you could STEAL off a boss or something? I didn't remember a line about it...

My favorite part in the game is setting up the crazy elemental grids to all go off with one attack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, that kid was talking about his zombie. said the zombie he made was as fast as this, as strong as that, blah blah, and had a penis the size of a horse. And Laharl said "A penis the size of a horse?!?! This thing IS dangerous! Careful!!!"
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I do believe you can also steal it, not sure offhand though.

Fun game, I rather enjoy the cheesy scifi humans myself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes you can steal it. I believe its a stat boosting item. I liked Disgaea, but I could never get into power leveling with it, my guess is I just don't know the secret to make it efficeint. In fact, of the three Nippon Ichi games, the only one I was able to make a super character in was La Pucelle. On a side note to Sylentwulf, powering up the items is far from useless in LP, if you do it right, its very easy to make a superweapon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    I do believe you can also steal it
    Yes you can steal it from the Zombie. It's a stat rising item called the Horse Wiener

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVED Disgaea. It's easily one of my 10 favorite games of all time. It had awesome strategic gameplay, memorable and hilarious characters, and an excellent soundtrack. The overall plot wasn't that deep, but the humor more than made up for it. Definitely a must-play.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how is this game in the wild? still hard to come across? and has the price gone down at all?

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    how is this game in the wild? still hard to come across? and has the price gone down at all?
    Yep, I've only seen it a couple of times around here. When I do, it is usually around $30, though. I imagine it goes for a little more on eBay...
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I played the hell out of this game untill I had the last version of Bael to fight. After reading all the walkthrus for it on how to beat em as well as how many level ups it would take, I just gave up because it's simply to much for just 1 boss. The biggest problem is learning when to alter your charcters as well as to what level you should get them. Also all the special charcter clases is a pain.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Horse weiner is stealable and I still had the thing equipped at the end of the game. It boosts stats quite well. Transmigrating might not seem to make too much of a difference but in the long run it does. It's only really worth doing once you hit around level 1000. Once you have done one or two transmigrations, comparing the stats of a twice transmigrated character's stats at level 1000 compared to the character who hadn't transmigrated at level 1000 and you'll see a huge difference. It's really necessary to get stats godly enough to take on some of the astronomical characters like Item-God 2, whose hp is in the several of millions if I remember correctly as well as humongous amounts of other stats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No saying trans'ing wasn't useless in general, I did it with all of my chars, EXCEPT laharl, I did it with etna, and since there's no class switch, I watched the stats, and it did virtually nothing except for me to basically start over again= with her, so I never did it with laharl.