Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember EGM's Sushi-X?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Remember EGM's Sushi-X?

I read that the original Sushi-X was played by Ken Williams, and after he left the role was passed onto others.

Yeah that's what I always thought. Sushi-X was one man (a fighting fanatic) for a long run, but eventually the title was passed onto several different people.

You could just tell when the break was... the "spirit" wasn't the same. And you just knew there was no way one man could stay with EGM for THAT long. (speaking of which it just wasn't the same when Ed Semrad left... ahh he was one of the best)

But to get back on track...

I remember thinking how cool a gimmick Sushi-X was, and the name and everything. My friend who was a HUGE SF II fan back in the day, we always did kid around that he was THE Sushi-X, haha. Good times....

Sadly, times that will never be duplicated. Ah wellz. Gotta move on I suppose...

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone read the EGM Chronicles? It's an interesting tale from a guy who once worked at EGM.

Check it out HERE.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sushi-X was cool since he never showed his actual face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

They used to have "Sushi X" signs at WWF Raw shows back then. It was a phenomenon that crossed testosterone-fueled entertainment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always that the "Sushi-X" thing was kind of dumb... you're a video game reviewr, just write under your own name... that aliases were a huge reason that I didn't take mags like Game Informer seriously.

But the Sushi-X signs on WWF stuff _was_ odd back in the day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I remember Sushi X (Back when EGM was one of the better gaming magazines), and yes, I remember seeing Sushi X signs at WWF events.

Sushi X was one of my favourite reviewers. However, one thing that I hold against him is his unjust review of Castlevania X for the SNES. He gave it something like a 7, saying that he considered it a disappointing 'PORT of the PC Engige game Rondo of Blood.' Anyone who's actually played Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo knows that the game which SNES owners were treated to was a sequel in the Castlevania series rather than a bonna fide port of Chi No Rondo. Just because the games feature similar graphical presentations and even a few of the same enemies does not make the game a port!

But... Ken Williams? That's an odd coincidence, seeing as how Ken Williams (Husband of Roberta) is such an important figure in PC Gaming for the contributions that he and his wife have brought to the industry through Sierra On-Line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu
    Has anyone read the EGM Chronicles? It's an interesting tale from a guy who once worked at EGM.

Check it out HERE.

That's not just "some guy," that's Chris Johnston!

We fanzine old-timers remember him from his great zine Paradox. He's among that crowd that found paying work with the prozines through the zine scene.

Which reminds me...where's the Russ Perry, Jr. weblog? Didn't he pioneer the whole "guest blogging" thing? He was ten years ahead of the game!
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EGM was fine until they went SF2 crazy.

I laugh when i thumb through the older issues and see readers calling them on the stuff they did....people asking if they would quit talking about SF2 & the guy who helped port "World Heroes 2" to the SNES for calling them on thier "ehh, its not SF2" review and score for the game.

I will commend them (well, ED) for showing his disbelief in Nintendo's CD-Rom and telling the Big N to put thier money where their mouth is.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the character Sushi-X put the heart and soul into EGM's fighting based sections.

I remember the first time they had exclusive news about SF3. That was a damn good article!

He supported SNK and Capcom fighters all the time, always gave them the greatest scores a majority of the time.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

We need to revive those signs.

Try to get on the news at a car accident scene or something hold up SUSHI-X sign.

Political debates whatever.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Anyone who's actually played Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo knows that the game which SNES owners were treated to was a sequel in the Castlevania series rather than a bonna fide port of Chi No Rondo.
    Well, yes and no...there's no new storyline in Dracula XX, really, just some differently drawn cutscenes. I'm inclined to agree that Dracula X isn't a port, but it's not really a sequel, marketing aside. Still a damn good game, but not perfect.

Ken Williams ... is such an important figure in PC Gaming for the contributions that he and his wife have brought to the industry through Sierra On-Line.
    Rofl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Anyone who's actually played Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo knows that the game which SNES owners were treated to was a sequel in the Castlevania series rather than a bonna fide port of Chi No Rondo.
    Well, yes and no...there's no new storyline in Dracula XX, really, just some differently drawn cutscenes.
    Well, one thing that I've noticed about the Castlevania series (especially its earlier installments) is that Konami doesn't put a lot of effort into developing new and original storylines. Castlevania 4's storyline isn't much different from 3's, for instance, but that doesn't make CV IV a port of CV III.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Port" is a word that should only be used when you take one game and put it on another system, essentially unchanged (or with bonuses, but with an option to play the original game, like MGS2: Substance). Makes the world simpler.

Super Castlevania IV is simply titled "Akumajo Dracula" in Japan; it's not a sequel to anything because it's just a remake of Castlevania. The same is true of the x68000 version of the game, and the MSX 2 Akumajo Dracula (though this one adds features) as well.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    the character Sushi-X put the heart and soul into EGM's fighting based sections.

I remember the first time they had exclusive news about SF3. That was a damn good article!

He supported SNK and Capcom fighters all the time, always gave them the greatest scores a majority of the time.
    You do realize that after a certain time (after 1996?) Sushi-X was just "faked" by having another reviewer pretend to be him.

Its in that article that Damaramu linked to.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    "Port" is a word that should only be used when you take one game and put it on another system, essentially unchanged (or with bonuses, but with an option to play the original game, like MGS2: Substance). Makes the world simpler.

Super Castlevania IV is simply titled "Akumajo Dracula" in Japan; it's not a sequel to anything because it's just a remake of Castlevania. The same is true of the x68000 version of the game, and the MSX 2 Akumajo Dracula (though this one adds features) as well.
    I agree, and given your definition, EGM's could not rightfully criticize Dracula X for being a poor "port" of Chi No Rondo. It would be more accurate to call Dracula X a very bold remake of Chi No Rondo than to call it a port, wouldn't you say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll drink to that! I think the criticisms should stay with the learning curve and difficulty (pretty hard later on, but not unmanageable - actually a great challenge).

Given the year it came out, it's amazing it got a 7...would've given it at least an 8, myself The criticisms I saw were " THIS GAME IS HORRID AND FOSSILIZED GRAFIX" which is weak. WEAK. Yes, reused sprites, but you've also got those awesome clock tower gears, and some level design elements used from Bloodlines, only made better (i.e. the hidden stage and the staircase to Drac's room, now you can't fall through it, yay!)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default r

PSSSSSt:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25379

I used to think he was a freelancer for them who didn't want to reveal his name because he was moonlighting.

Anyway, after that I thought he was started by Ed Semrad...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to think he was just one of the reviewers that usually reviewed in the early days of EGM. I mean.. when they started doing the 4 man review crew thing (yes I know it was a copy of the jap mags). Then later on Sushi-X appeared. So I always just figured it was one of the earlier 4 guys.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default x

Wow, there's a LOT of stuff on Chris's site about EGM....very interesting stuff.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish EGM still sold back issues or book compilations of their earlier issues. It is too expensive and time consuming to get a complete collection of their older issues, in order to take a walk down memory lane. Is there a better way than Ebay, to get a complete collection of 8 to 16-bit generation EGM issues?