Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega 32x help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega 32x help

Hi, I bought a sega 32x a week ago and everything came in the box (the short metal plate was bent but I fixed it.) Anyways, I set up the Sega 32x including the 2 metal plates in my Genesis 2 and it worked. However, my only 32x game, Knuckles Chaotix gets some slowdown whenever I get the invicibility box and other minor slowdowns. Maybe I'm paranoid if it's suppose to be that way. Sometimes, I get missing graphics if I play it so much. Is this normal by the way. :/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There should be an "accelerator" that plugs into the side of your Genesis... the same port that the Sega CD goes into. If you're missing the part or if you're missing the Sega CD, you'll get slow down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc
    There should be an "accelerator" that plugs into the side of your Genesis... the same port that the Sega CD goes into. If you're missing the part or if you're missing the Sega CD, you'll get slow down.
    Hmm, didn't know about that. I checked both of my 32x manuals (white and yellow) and the yellow manual does mention the piece but it doesn't say what it does. My 32x didn't came with the accelerator so I guess I will have to buy a working Sega CD model 2 since my Sega CD model 1 is broken. Thanks for the tip.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc

Insert Coin (Level 0) lakeflaccid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can anyone post pictures of the "accelerator" and the metal plates?

Where exactly do the metal plates go when the 32X is installed?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't run my 32X with any metal plates or the terminator card. (accelerator I think it is not, what it does do I have no idea perhaps its ONLY for gennesis 1 models)

It works fine. (perhaps its just a Chaotix bug...?)

The metal plates are just RF shielding you put inside the genesis cart slot, and the 'terminator board' is just connected to the genesis external board connector. I vagely remember dismantling the terminator once... no parts inside but a PCB with few traces running to some pins.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The metal plates were just to keep the Genny cart input open better, and as for slowdown on your game, I am guessint that you are using a Genesis model 1, as this system was actualy much slower at processing data than most Genesis 2 systems causing some lag and slowdown. I would just recomende getting a Sega CD, preferbly a model 2 (more modern inards, slightly faster processing power), to fix your problem. Nowing that there were many diffrent types of chips and stuff on diffrent boards in a Genny 2, I guess that it is possible for there to be some consoles that have very bad lag on some more advanced games, such as the 32X Chaotix title, but for the most part the Sega Genesis model 2s were very good at processing speeds and kept the 32X games running well enough. Even on a really good Genny 2 however, if you are VERY good at looking for extremly tiny bugs and very small slowdown, you can see a slight diffrence in the quality of a system with a Sega CD II attached compared to without one (NOTE: I have not compared a 32Xs performance on a Genny 2 to a Genny 2 with a CD 1)

Hope this helps some.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperShark
    The metal plates were just to keep the Genny cart input open better,
    I disagree here, it's for RF shielding. The tabs on the metal clips match up with metal blocks on the 32X 'cartridge' on the bottom.

..I am guessint that you are using a Genesis model 1, as this system was actualy much slower at processing data than most Genesis 2 systems..
    Proof?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Play a game that already has good lag on a modle 2, then try that game on a model 1! After that you will truly see a diffrence!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Play a game that already has good lag on a modle 2, then try that game on a model 1! After that you will truly see a diffrence!
    That's not evidence, that's conjecture. Show us some design documents or an observation about the components between the two models. I'll even settle for a webpage that expounds on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The metal plates were just to keep the Genny cart input open better, and as for slowdown on your game, I am guessint that you are using a Genesis model 1, as this system was actualy much slower at processing data than most Genesis 2 systems causing some lag and slowdown. I would just recomende getting a Sega CD, preferbly a model 2 (more modern inards, slightly faster processing power), to fix your problem. Nowing that there were many diffrent types of chips and stuff on diffrent boards in a Genny 2, I guess that it is possible for there to be some consoles that have very bad lag on some more advanced games, such as the 32X Chaotix title, but for the most part the Sega Genesis model 2s were very good at processing speeds and kept the 32X games running well enough. Even on a really good Genny 2 however, if you are VERY good at looking for extremly tiny bugs and very small slowdown, you can see a slight diffrence in the quality of a system with a Sega CD II attached compared to without one (NOTE: I have not compared a 32Xs performance on a Genny 2 to a Genny 2 with a CD 1)

Hope this helps some.
    Actually, I am using the compact Genesis 2. Since there are different revisions, I am using the 1993 Sega Genesis 2 since the box that came with it has the copyright 1993. Has anyone played Chaotix without a Sega CD and tell us if it has slowdowns as described in my starter post. So far, the missing graphics are not occuring anymore since I cleaned my 32x.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're really using a genny 2? Wow, the way you were talking I thought you were talking about major slowdown, and if you are, then there is nothing I can say, the Genny 2 just shouldn't do that. As for improvement of quality with attaching a Sega CD to a Genny 2 with a 32X, there honestly, from my experience on my systems, is hardly any diffrence. A little, but not much. Maybe it is the revision of your system(s), or maybe something is messed up if you are getting such major slowdown, but I don't think that there is really much more that I could tell you right now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is some slowdown programmed into the game... at level transitions and when you first see Eggman... I tried it out (with a Gen 1) and didn't get very far into it before I saw the intentional effects - I didn't pick up an "invincibility" box though (whatever the hell that is...).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry, I am really trying to understand this. I usualy keep my 32X hooked up to my favorite Genesis model 2, which also seems a little bit faster at processing than my other 2 or 3 Genny 2s, and this is usually kept hooked up to my Sega CD II, and I NEVER have any slow down playing this game. I know that for a fact as I have been playing it very frequently lately. Even without the Sega CD pluged in (though I will admit I have not REALLY played this game in a LONG time on a 32X hooked up to a Genny without a Sega CD II pluged onto it) therefor the system is not receving any power from it's AC adaptor, and even then Iexperience hardly any slowdown, you'd have to be a total freak like me to really see it, and even then you easily get used to the extremly minor slowdown. I have tryed other 32X games, mostly the 3-D space shooter Shadow Squadron, on a 32X hooked up to a Geeny 1 before that had nothing pluged into the expansion port and I have noticed noticable slowdown, but never any on my favorite Genesis 2.

I do not see how anyone can experience any MAJOR slowdown on this game when there 32X is hooked up to a model 2 Genesis!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry, I am really trying to understand this. I usualy keep my 32X hooked up to my favorite Genesis model 2, which also seems a little bit faster at processing than my other 2 or 3 Genny 2s, and this is usually kept hooked up to my Sega CD II, and I NEVER have any slow down playing this game. I know that for a fact as I have been playing it very frequently lately. Even without the Sega CD pluged in (though I will admit I have not REALLY played this game in a LONG time on a 32X hooked up to a Genny without a Sega CD II pluged onto it) therefor the system is not receving any power from it's AC adaptor, and even then Iexperience hardly any slowdown, you'd have to be a total freak like me to really see it, and even then you easily get used to the extremly minor slowdown. I have tryed other 32X games, mostly the 3-D space shooter Shadow Squadron, on a 32X hooked up to a Geeny 1 before that had nothing pluged into the expansion port and I have noticed noticable slowdown, but never any on my favorite Genesis 2.

I do not see how anyone can experience any MAJOR slowdown on this game when there 32X is hooked up to a model 2 Genesis!
    Actually, my 32x does not get major slowdown. The only major slowdown that I get is when I hit the invincibility box in Chaotix. Only MINOR when there are alot of spites in the game.

Oh and Lost Monkey, I'm talking about this box:

Since the box is kind of uncommon I found it in Techno Tower Lv.2

I made this topic because the 32x speed is not as fast as Sega claim to be and I wanted to know if people had this problem in chaotix. Or maybe it's Chaotix? I'm gonna have to buy more 32x games and see.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gsn2984

Oh and Lost Monkey, I'm talking about this box:

Since the box is kind of uncommon I found it in Techno Tower Lv.2
    Ah... just like in Sonic... I'll have to "go back in" and see if I can find one... I can test with both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 (and X-eye too I suppose..)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhh...I'm glad I'm wearin boots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tested it with Gens and it does get slowdown on the invincibility part. Which means that my 32x might be working normal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is this 'accelerator'? Could someone post a pic? Was it only required for Model I consoles?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless I see proof, I don't believe there is any such "accelerator". I think someone might have gotten confused with the plastic extender piece that allows Gen1's to connect to the SCD2 without hanging off the edge (since the SCD2 is, by default, designed for the Gen2).

I'd love someone to prove me wrong. Until someone does, however, I stand firm in my belief that there is no "accelerator".