Thread: Japanese game systems and US power plugs question

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Japanese game systems and US power plugs question

In the past, I've considered buying Japanese versions of various systems. Like a PC Engine, or a coregrafx, or a neo-geo cd or a turbo duo or a sega saturn or a super famicom.

But, I've never quite known the deal on the AC Adapters for japanese systems. I'm assuming that you can't just plug them into US plugs. So I'm guessing that you need

A.) Some type of converter from Radio Shack, that you plug into your power outlet, and then you plug any Japanese system's AC Adatper into that.

B.) I don't think this would work but maybe could you use the AC Adapter from the U.S. system? Would that work? For example, let's say you tried powering a Japanese TurboDuo with a U.S. version TurboDuo's AC Adapter. Would that work? Or a Japanese Neo-Geo CD unit with a AC Adapter from the U.S. version of the Neo Geo CD? Or would this actually end up killing your system?

Bascially what do people who live in the U.S. do with Japanese consoles, in terms of power them up correctly?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the problem exists, it is because Japanese A/C outlets are rated for 100-110 Volts @60Hz, American A/C outlets are rated for 110-120 Volts @ 60Hz. That may be more than the adapter can handle, but I have no reliable information to suggest that the slight variation would be dangerous (at least to anything beyond the adapter) to use a Japanese A/C adapter in an American outlet.

If you want to use US A/C adapters for Japanese consoles or vice versa, the important thing is that the DC output is greater than or equals the console's requirements. For example, I have an Atari 2600jr. The official Atari A/C adapter outputs 9v DC, 600mA. I use an adapter designed for the SNES, which requires an adapter capable of outputting 10v DC, 850mA. The important thing is that these ratings match or better (within reason) the"official ratings." Just remember that most of the pre-Playstation consoles operate at 5v and use 7805 voltage converters to knock down the voltage to 5v. The 7805 has reasonable headroom and will work fine if the heat is properly conducted away from it (it usually is the only component to generate any real heat.) The amperage is the so-called current draw, the console should only draw up to the amperage and no more. Even though an adapter makes more available, the console should not be fazed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know for a fact that the Neo Geo CD and CDZ and very picky about the input voltage. For a jap neo geo cd, you really should use the proper step down adaptor.

I have got a Japanese Sega Saturn that runs fine on 120V, and that is through a step down converter that is plugged into 240V

240V > 120V >110V Saturn

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

well, i have an import ps2, saturn, 3DO, famicom, twin famicom, mega drive/mcd, core grafx, fm towns marty, and a couple other import consoles here that i've used for years with their original japanese plugs with NO issues whatsoever. i think my playdia is the only system that needs some sort of converter, but maybe it just never worked properly, lol...

g.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berty
    I know for a fact that the Neo Geo CD and CDZ and very picky about the input voltage. For a jap neo geo cd, you really should use the proper step down adaptor.

I have got a Japanese Sega Saturn that runs fine on 120V, and that is through a step down converter that is plugged into 240V

240V > 120V >110V Saturn

So if I get a Japanese Neo Geo CD system, I should use the Japanese AC Adapter that came with it, and plug it into some other kind of adapter, like from Radio Shack?

Would you by any chance know what type of an adapter I should plug it into?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is some sort of a step down converter from 120V to 100V. Like geelw said I don't think it is necessary though. I spent hours yesterday playing Japanese Saturn, Dreamcast, CoreGrafx, PS One, Sega SG-1000/Mk. III, Bandai Playdia and Super Cassette Vision all with Japanese AC adapters and never had a problem. If you don't have the original AV adapter it is OK to use a US one as long as the rating is the same. Don't assume that NES is the same as Famicom or TurboGrafx-16 is the same as PC Engine, etc. though. 10VDC in Japan is the same as 10VDC in the US.
    y-bot

Insert Coin (Level 0) Raven1280's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

from what i was told the US goes between 110 and 120 its never at a constant 120 and that its fine to use the jap power supplies. ive been doing it for years aswell with my neo geo aes, neo geo cd, fm towns marty, famicom, megadrive, megadrive cd and super famicom with no problems at all. I dont leave them plugged in though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I think that he is talking about the plug shape, not the voltage. Japan uses the same 3-Prong (and 2-Prong, I guess) plugs that we do, so no adaptor is needed execpt for the (optional) voltage reductor.

Ice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

there should be no problem at all using japanese consoles in the us without a converter, afaik the us is 110-120v, japan is 100-115, both of these figures have a percentage tolerance, so they blur together fairly well. on top of that, all the power sources should be rated about 10 volts higher than the rated outlet voltage. and then even after that, there is going to be a regulator in there somewhere, so the worst it will ever do is have the power source run a little warmer, not a problem at all.

in short: YES, you CAN use japanese systems in the us with no converter at all.