Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMB Lost Levels

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SMB Lost Levels

Hey everyone question for you?!?! I'm playing SMB All-Stars Lost Levels right now and I'm currently on level D-4 how many friggin' levels does this game have. I think I'm 'bout to beat it again, but not sure. Any one out there have an idea on how many levels?? Also are theire any cheats like level 0 or -1 or anything like the original SMB?!?! Any kind of help would be great!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: SMB Lost Levels

***EDIT***

Forgot about the 9th world. How did I miss that?

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mog_the_Destroyer
    Hey everyone question for you?!?! I'm playing SMB All-Stars Lost Levels right now and I'm currently on level D-4 how many friggin' levels does this game have. I think I'm 'bout to beat it again, but not sure. Any one out there have an idea on how many levels?? Also are theire any cheats like level 0 or -1 or anything like the original SMB?!?! Any kind of help would be great!!
    13 Worlds in Total....the 9th world is hidden...did you find it? Here's a hint, don't use the warp pipes...

Lost Levels doesn't have the minus world glitch, All-Stars game removed that from SMB1...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

D-4 is the last level.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    Lost Levels doesn't have the minus world glitch, All-Stars game removed that from SMB1...
    Actually, if you think about it, they really didn't. They seem to have had trouble preventing the suction into the wall so they simply created a "workaround"... They removed the two blocks next to the wall.

I'm willing to bet that if someone with an editor edited the game to add the two blocks in (In the original Famicom or FDS version) the Minus World would live again.

The question is where the game would actually take you. If it's anything like the original game, the FDS version would have a completely different experience than the Famicom (Was there one? Cartridge I mean?) version.

But alas, it probably wouldn't matter anyway as the Minus World glitch only works on the first and third pipes. In Lost Levels, the warp zone in 2-1 has only one warp... World 2. [Link MPEG-4]

Funny thing is they still couldn't stop you from getting "wall sucked" in the SNES port of SMB. But they did prevent the Minus World from appearing sadly.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've gotten to the Minus Worlds without those two blocks being visible (NES). I thought it was just better to have them to know when to hold back on the controller? :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to see that. Video record it for me. I've never seen anyone sucked into the wall without hitting their head on the bricks.

Anyways, the reason the trick won't work on the Lost Levels is still because there isn't a pipe #1 or #3 in that level since all there is is a lonely Warp to world 2. (That alone tells you how hard the game is going to be if they need to warp you two sections ahead. And watch out for that tricky Warp to World 1 pipe later on. That one got me the first time!)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default f

Funny thing is they still couldn't stop you from getting "wall sucked" in the SNES port of SMB. But they did prevent the Minus World from appearing sadly.
    Well I'm sure they could have...it was just easier to remove the two bricks. OR, they didn't want people even trying, even though they did remove the glitch.

Anyway, level -1 is really just world 36-1. I'm sure a game genie can get you there. Believe it or not, there is a CRAPLOAD of hidden worlds in SMB. Whether or not they are just glitches like the Metroid worlds or real, or a bit of both, I have no idea.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I knew about the hidden worlds in Super Mario 3, but there are hidden worlds in the original? Do you have a web site chronicling them? I'd LOVE to see that. Also, wow, did I really just spell "chronicling" right without looking it up? Coolness!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I'd love to see that. Video record it for me. I've never seen anyone sucked into the wall without hitting their head on the bricks.
    I always go through and break the bricks first and then do it. I'm successful about 1/3 of the time before the timer runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    They removed the two blocks next to the wall.
    That is the way it is in SMB1 in the arcade version. In fact several of the "Lost Levels" stages are the arcade SMB1 levels. They are so much harder than the original SMB1 including some jumps that absolutely require you to time it and skip off a turtle midflight in order to land on the mushroom platform (that's 6-3 in arcade, don't recall where in Lost Levels).
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

does anyone have a rom of the original famicom version of mario 2 (lost levels)?? not the snes version from all-stars. i've looked everywhere and cant find it!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mfsteve
    does anyone have a rom of the original famicom version of mario 2 (lost levels)?? not the snes version from all-stars. i've looked everywhere and cant find it!!
    Check your PM's.

I'm amazed at how hard this game is. Amazing. Japanese children must be super humans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is in fact a World -1 in the FDS version. In fact, there's a -2 and -3, too, if this is to be believed:
    http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/smb_bugs.shtml
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I had Japanese NES during HS age and I tried to get into SMB2 extra levels, supposedly there're 300+ hidden levels, you had to play the game half way, take out the game, plug in Tennis, play a few min, and plus SMB2 cart back, I never even attempted this, the auther of the game guide actually had one NES unit burned out trying to play all 300+ levels, it was like 24+ hours of ame plays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    There is in fact a World -1 in the FDS version. In fact, there's a -2 and -3, too, if this is to be believed:
    http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/smb_bugs.shtml
    I know, I've been there. (I have a ROM of both the Cart and FDS versions) and the FDS version is MUCH cooler than the Cart version.

It starts out on a water world version of World 1-3 (Platforms in the air.) with floating princesses, a Bowser that keeps going up, a suicidal Hammer Brother and a few turtles. Oh, and a lone fish sometimes. Make sure to hit the flag pole low to the ground or you overshoot the door and end up on the hidden block that the game uses to stop Mario before it turns off his sprites. (To make him look to be entering a doorway)

-2 seems to be a normal World 2-3 (Or 7-3 if you want. The bridge with attacking flying fish.

-3 is the coolest of all. An underground version of Bowser's Castle. (World 4-1) Complete with flying Bloopers. You can jump on them. The cool thing about this level is that since the original is programmed to "loop" if you take the wrong path, you must take a different path (Since it doesn't do the looping thing) to prevent getting stuck at a dead end. No Bowser, so hitting the axe doesn't open the bridge, but the music does play and you do scroll. But the Toad is a Blooper that you end up hitting on the way off the platform to the opened area. The text is yellow "Thank You Mario".

When you "Beat" the Japanese FDS Minus Game, you press B to return to the title screen and use B to choose a world. Basically, it's the fastest and easiest way to beat the Japanese version of the game without cheating IMHO. And it's not even official. I'll take screenshots and maybe make a video of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    Actually I had Japanese NES during HS age and I tried to get into SMB2 extra levels, supposedly there're 300+ hidden levels, you had to play the game half way, take out the game, plug in Tennis, play a few min, and plus SMB2 cart back, I never even attempted this, the auther of the game guide actually had one NES unit burned out trying to play all 300+ levels, it was like 24+ hours of ame plays.
    300 levels in the FDS SMB 2? Not a chance in hell. The game is 64K, if that.Besides, the only cartridge SMB 2s in existence are pirated copies of the Disk System original.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the videos of the Japanese Famicom Disk System Super Mario Brothers Minus World.

Minus World -1:
    http://www.jasoco.net/images/minuswo...0World%201.mov

Minus World -3:
    http://www.jasoco.net/images/minuswo...0World%203.mov

I skipped Minus World -2 because it's basically World 7-3. You can play that yourself in any SMB version and see no difference. Just a crapload of flying annoying fish.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    300 levels in the FDS SMB 2? Not a chance in hell. The game is 64K, if that.Besides, the only cartridge SMB 2s in existence are pirated copies of the Disk System original.
    I forgot to mention 8 levels per world, besides those areas don't require a lot of memories, some just got pasted with dif colors, a few dif objects, that's all.

Another crazy move for both SMB1 and SMB2 (Japana), is the infinite extra lives, there're a few spots you can do this, easier for SMB2, you can keep adding extra lives until 137 (I'm not sure about the exact number), getting more lives will reduce the live to 1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cutoff is 127 ($7F), because the game uses a signed byte for the number of lives. That way, instead of explicitly checking for $00 or $FF, it can just check for high bit set, which the 6502 (and 2A03) have an explicit instruction to do so (BMI). Since this is beneficial from both a ROM size standpoint (one instruction right after the lives decrement as opposed to a CMP/BNE duo) and from an execution speed standpoint (one instruction is almost always faster than two), it doesn't surprise me that they handled it this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there were anywhere near 128 levels in SMB, someone would have broken the news, posted tons of screenshots, videos and instructions on exactly how to get there.

In other words, until I see it for myself, it's what Penn and Teller like to call "Bullshit".