Thread: Adding controller ports to the Intellivision I?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

Default Adding controller ports to the Intellivision I?

i have an Intellivision I, the numeric pads work fine, but the directional pad doesn't always work correctly. all of the directions dont work all of the time(which directions work are random). i've tried cleaning the MPCB but it still doesnt work correctly. on to the question...

if i use a male 9 pin D plug and connected the pins to their corresponding places on the board (where the original controllers are attached) , and mounted it to the case, would i be able to use this as a regular controller port to plug in a working intv II controller? or possibly could i plug in a genesis or arari controller so i could use the d-pad or the joystick and still use the numeric pad on the intv controller? also if i made a custom intv controller would i be able to use this as a normal controller by plugging it into this port?

has anyone done anything like this? or does anyone know enough about it to help me? any help would be appreciated

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you send me a PM with your e-mail address i can send you the intv assembly manual with all the info about the controllers, i was thinking about doing this mod my self...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I've added genesis controller jacks to my intv2. Deathskull Labs explains all that stuff:
    http://users.erols.com/tiltonj/games/tech/

The easiest fix would probably be to unsolder your intv controller from the cable and solder intv2 controllers on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or just fix the Inty one controllers.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Or just fix the Inty one controllers.
    initially i intended to repair them but after checking for breaks in the MPCB with a continuity tester i couldnt find any so im not sure what i would need to fix? the rear window defogger repair kit method fixes breaks in the circuit, but if their arent any, what am i left to repair? are there any suggestions of what i should look for that may need repairing?

i've tried cleaning the mpcb, originally i was only able to go up and down, then after cleaning again i was only able to go down and left. then i cleaned it again and i was only able to go up and right, and after every cleaning i was able to go in only 2 or 3 random directions.(i had 4 directions once but that didnt last long). I've noticed the white plastic wafer doesn't seem to be centered in the directional pad part of the mpcb but there isnt any way to fix that. could this be my problem? if there is a way to repair the controllers i have now it would likely be easier, however im not sure if its possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) check cable continuity
    2) check cable insertion orientation at console
    3) check mpcb re-assembly (gotta be folded right, white disc in right spot)
    4) check contact between mpcb and cable 'teeth', try adding or removing pressure. Make sure all is lined up exactly correct.

If it's not mpcb continuity, and it's not one of the above, it's the Inty, and therefore not a good mod candidate. that's not terribly likely though.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

well after taking the console apart testing continuity and unplugging and plugging controller 1 has all 16 splendid directions. however controller 2 only has 2 directions. i took it apart to clean it (the first time i've even opened controller2) and i realize not only is the white washer in the wrong place, but the mpcb looks very different than the mpcb in controller1 (newer, but much more cheaply made). after testing it for continuity i did indeed find a break in one of the folds. when i fix this it should be good to go. thanks for the help. i'm still temted to make a custom controller though, but if its not a nececity i wont bother with it.

i'll let you know if it works once i fix the break, and thanks again every one for the help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

well i fixed the break, but my controller 2 still only has up, right, and down. no left. i've cleaned it several times i've done everthing i did to controller 1 , its late now so i'll look into it more tomorrow and let you know how it turns out