Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox LIVE headset preference?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox LIVE headset preference?

I am new to the Xbox scene, and am planning to get Xbox Live in the very near future, depending on how my luck goes. Anyways, I am not getting a Starter Kit, so I have my pick of Xbox headsets. I hear the original ones included in the Starter Kits are not too bad, although they're not too good either. I hear Plantronics' special Halo 2 headset is the shit; however, it is more than I am willing to pay. I hear their X10 is also not too great, although their X20 is very good. Give me preferences and brief reviews of various Xbox headsets. I am not interested in wireless headsets, as they cost too much and seem to be a hassle. I'm not very much into wireless things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i just use the normal headset that comes with the starter kit....i see nothing wrong with it....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

The standard headset is far and away the best. The platronics one sucks asshole, for $50 you can get a headset that flat out doesn't work well.

Absolutely go with the standard MS headset. When Halo 2 came out my roommates and I went through a good 10 to 12 headsets (people stepping on them and the like) and always looking for a cheaper alternative, none of them ever worked as well as the original one or were anywhere near as comfortable.

Although, if you've got a handsfree headset for your cellphone you can just use that, and I've actually used my XBL headset on my cellphone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I've actually used my XBL headset on my cellphone

and here i thought i was the only one
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only thing that pisses me off about the standard one from the starter sets, is the fact it wraps around the back of your head. It takes a bit of adjustment when you want to lay back and play, with your head on a pillow or such.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've bought several, but I like this one:

XBOX Live Headset X10

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801870
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior

XBOX Live Headset X10

I personally heard that one was crap and tha the X20 was much better. Anyways, the official one seems to be one of the cheapest, and is reliable and comfortable from what I've tried. Anyone hear about the Madcatz Headcom? I want to hear about this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

The madcatz one was far and away the worst one we've used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Sorry, but I like the Halo 2 edition one. I cant stand the others that are avalible.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    I've actually used my XBL headset on my cellphone

and here i thought i was the only one
    Make me #3
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drummy
    Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior

XBOX Live Headset X10

I personally heard that one was crap and tha the X20 was much better. Anyways, the official one seems to be one of the cheapest, and is reliable and comfortable from what I've tried. Anyone hear about the Madcatz Headcom? I want to hear about this one.
    I like this one over the standard because it goes over your head, not behind it. Therefore, I can lay my head back and play, which I can't do with the standard unit. The speaking and hearing functionality seems to work great too.

I'd love to have the wireless headset, but there's no way I can justify the $70-80 on it.
    DP Feedback

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you know that an adapter must be plugged into the Xbox controller to go between the controller and the 1/8 (or 1/16?) inch plug of the headset? I don't know if you can get that adapter outside of an Xbox Live Starter Kit. At the very least you should look into that issue, as none of the replacement headsets I've seen come with the adapter piece.

Anyway, assuming that you get the adapter somehow, I've got a MadCatz headset (not sure if it's the "Headcom") that was both cheaper and decent enough quality for me. To compare with the official headset:

The official Xbox Live headset ($30.00) wraps around your head and has a microphone on a longish stalk that brings it out to the corner of your mouth.

The Madcatz headset ($5.00) that I bought clips onto one ear (your choice which one) and its microphone is on a much shorter stalk that places it next to your cheek. Nevertheless, it transmits adequately except for every once in a while when it can swing away from your face. This usually only happens if something pulls on the cord between the controller and the headset. (Actually, I probably have this problem much more often than most players because I'm usually playing Steel Battalion: Line of Contact on Live; this game requires that you use a special controller to play the game, but you still have to plug the headset into a standard controller, which you then rest on the couch or on a chair next to you. This creates more opportunity for the cord to get hung up on things and pull the mic away from my face.)

Given that the MadCatz headset costs one-sixth what the official headset costs and performs adequately enough, I would recommend trying it if you can find it and can think of something to do with an extra $25.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the official one myself, but the one that comes packaged with Rainbow Six 3 wasn't bad. Its still not as good as the original though. Considering you can find RS3 w/ headset for less than $20, its a good alternative if you want a cheap (but not spectacular) headset, and are looking for games other than Halo 2 that you can play online.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    Did you know that an adapter must be plugged into the Xbox controller to go between the controller and the 1/8 (or 1/16?) inch plug of the headset? I don't know if you can get that adapter outside of an Xbox Live Starter Kit. At the very least you should look into that issue, as none of the replacement headsets I've seen come with the adapter piece.

Anyway, assuming that you get the adapter somehow, I've got a MadCatz headset (not sure if it's the "Headcom") that was both cheaper and decent enough quality for me. To compare with the official headset:

The official Xbox Live headset ($30.00) wraps around your head and has a microphone on a longish stalk that brings it out to the corner of your mouth.

The Madcatz headset ($5.00) that I bought clips onto one ear (your choice which one) and its microphone is on a much shorter stalk that places it next to your cheek. Nevertheless, it transmits adequately except for every once in a while when it can swing away from your face. This usually only happens if something pulls on the cord between the controller and the headset. (Actually, I probably have this problem much more often than most players because I'm usually playing Steel Battalion: Line of Contact on Live; this game requires that you use a special controller to play the game, but you still have to plug the headset into a standard controller, which you then rest on the couch or on a chair next to you. This creates more opportunity for the cord to get hung up on things and pull the mic away from my face.)

Given that the MadCatz headset costs one-sixth what the official headset costs and performs adequately enough, I would recommend trying it if you can find it and can think of something to do with an extra $25.
    But the official headset comes with the adapter for the controller, and as you said, as far as I know is the only one to come with the tap.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(A buncha stuffs)
    But the official headset comes with the adapter for the controller, and as you said, as far as I know is the only one to come with the tap.
    So I guess that drummy better go ahead and get the official headset or starter kit or whichever comes with the "tap", or else the only way he'll be able to talk to his teammates by sticking his head out the window and shouting.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I personally love the one where it has a speaker, a mic and no headset at all. People seem to have no difficulty whatsoever hearing me and I can take a piss or grab a beer without adjusting the fit of the headset and all that garbage. They're on clearance all over the place right not. I believe it's called the "SpeakerCom" or something to that effect.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the wireless one is the only one that comes with the "puck" or maybe one other generic one has it. But you can buy the piece separate <a href ="http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801929">here</a> or at other GameStop stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

You can get the adapter outside of the starter kit, but you'll need that anyway to get on live (no more free trials). Pelican makes the generic replacement.

The MadCatz $5 headset sucks an elephant's dick. I had a hard time hearing anything out of it and I doubt that people were hearing me well on it as I didn't get many replies while using it.

The pack-in headset is what I still use, but you might as well pick up some electrical tape for the eventual day where you'll break it and have to 'Dukes of Hazzard' it back into place. I don't know anyone personally on Xbox Live who doesn't have a makeshift headset because the official one breaks so easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the original, but its rather fragile. It broke and I had to use some super epoxy to fix it.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    I personally love the one where it has a speaker, a mic and no headset at all. People seem to have no difficulty whatsoever hearing me and I can take a piss or grab a beer without adjusting the fit of the headset and all that garbage. They're on clearance all over the place right not. I believe it's called the "SpeakerCom" or something to that effect.
    IMHO this option sucks ass too because a friend has one that always echos back everything everyone says. It's maddening.
    DP Feedback