Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game series with the best "spinoff" titles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game series with the best "spinoff" titles?

You all know those games out there that have those few off-spin titles, like metroid pinball. But which game franchise to do think has the best line-up of these games? To me it would be mario, I mean mario kart, tennis, paper mario, etc. All of them are all very enjoyable games. My second pick would be the kirby games, such as the recently released canvas curse on ds, and especialy kirby's dream course on snes, and even the puyo knockoff kirby's avalanche.

So I am curious about what your picks would be for best spinoff games in a franchise.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think of the Mario non-platformers so much as "spinoffs" as they are "stuffing a popular license into every genre Nintendo can think of."

That's not to say most of them aren't good games, but most of them don't really have much in common with Mario either, aside from the graphics.

I mean, look at Dr. Mario. Great game. But take the mustache off the doctor, and it's not even a Mario game anymore. It's just a good puzzle game.

On the other hand, I would consider games like Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Pinball to be spinoffs, as they share gameplay elements in common with the original franchise. "Catching all the Pokemon" being the biggest in common.

So it's hard for me to answer the question. I'll think about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest(/Blazon) game series that Capcom spun off of the Ghosts 'n Goblins series. What a great series it is.

I don't know if you could call the Mario Kart/Smash Bros. games spin-offs, but Mario Kart is one of my dearest favorites in the history of Urth.

And of course, Front Mission: Gun Hazard seems to be a spinoff of the RPG series. Wow, here's one of my favorite action games of all time, and it's a spinoff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario! And not the Mario Party games but the Mario Karts, Mario Tennis and the Super Smash games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roi
    Mario! And not the Mario Party games but the Mario Karts, Mario Tennis and the Super Smash games.
    Wow. You totally didn't even read any of the posts in this thread, did you?

Neat topic, BTW.

Anyway, The House of the Dead has The Pinball of the Dead and The Typing of the Dead, both very solid titles. And the Megaman games spun off the Megaman Legends games which in turn spun off The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, which is another good one.

I don't know if anyone here really loved Grobda, but it was a Xevious spinoff.

Of course there was Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, which gathered characters from the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers games and superdeformed them to do battle using falling crystal blocks. Later the cute-ified fighters went back to 2-D fighting using a simplified control system in Pocket Fighter.

I still wonder how Klonoa Beach Volleyball turned out. And was Twinbee a puzzle game that spawned a shooter or a shooter that spawned a puzzle game?

Then there were the Panzer Dragoon games that gave rise to the Panzer Dragoon Saga RPG, a big crowd-pleaser and ebay prize.

I'm still waiting for a Steel Battalion spin-off where you use a standard Xbox controller to control a regular tracked tank or wheeled mobile battery and you just get owned repeatedly by players in the vertical tanks (mechs).
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best spinoff I can think of the top of my head is the wonderful PS game, Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Of course it follows the story/setting basically from Megaman Legends, but I think it's a lot more fun. Especially the bank heist levels.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey if Roi didn't read the posts in the thread then I didn't either

If Mario Kart isn't a spinoff than I don't know what is. I mean c'mon it's not a random game in a genre with Mario license slapped on it, it's got turtle shells mushrooms and fireballs, coins and question blocks and the track names are themed after character development, ala koopa Beach and soforth.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Teo

If Mario Kart isn't a spinoff than I don't know what is. I mean c'mon it's not a random game in a genre with Mario license slapped on it, it's got turtle shells mushrooms and fireballs, coins and question blocks and the track names are themed after character development, ala koopa Beach and soforth.
    Mario kart is not a spin off so much as it is a kart racer with mario graphics. It uses the lisence well but it's not a true spin-off. A spin off usually ties in with the main series through the story in some way, shape or form. Not just the same characters. Games like Gun Survivor 4: Biohazard - Heros never die (aka RE: Dead Aim. I just like the japenese title because it's so damn long and unnessacary) and Death by Degrees Staring Nina Williams are spin offs in the truest sense. Much like the Jeffersons was a spin off of All in the family.

Right now there isn't really a good spin off game using those rules. However if DOA 4 explains the Ayane tie-in in Ninja Gaiden then it becomes a spin-off and therefore would be the best one ever. But until Itagaki ties it in there really is no best spin-off in the truest sense of the word.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see, there is always that. I forgot to mention on royal raceway and at the end in Mario Kart 64 we see the Mushroom kingdom castle exactly as it is in Mario 64. And as far as Mario's Story well, that's like comparing different Batman movies. But in the end it's hard to say what's being spun off of what whith titles like Smash Bros.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't it be technically correct to say Donkey Kong started all of the spin-offs? From there we went to the Mario Brothers arcade game/atari game, to the NES SMB/DH we know, and so forth.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Parodius series. Nuff' said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head I'd say either Final Fantasy with Tactics or Mario with Super Mario RPG. I agree that it is difficult to determine what counts as a spinoff, but I think those do.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the puzzle bobble/ bust a move games spun from the sublime bubble bobble

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has to be Ultima. The Underworld games are a great series in their own right. The Worlds of Ultima games, too, were solid RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Quote Originally Posted by Teo

Mario kart is not a spin off so much as it is a kart racer with mario graphics. It uses the lisence well but it's not a true spin-off. A spin off usually ties in with the main series through the story in some way, shape or form. Not just the same characters. Games like Gun Survivor 4: Biohazard - Heros never die (aka RE: Dead Aim. I just like the japenese title because it's so damn long and unnessacary) and Death by Degrees Staring Nina Williams are spin offs in the truest sense. Much like the Jeffersons was a spin off of All in the family.

Right now there isn't really a good spin off game using those rules. However if DOA 4 explains the Ayane tie-in in Ninja Gaiden then it becomes a spin-off and therefore would be the best one ever. But until Itagaki ties it in there really is no best spin-off in the truest sense of the word.
    I agree 100%. That's what I was trying to say with my other post, but I think you worded it a little better. Mario Kart to me isn't a spinoff. Death by Degrees is definitely a spinoff.

I might call Mario the greatest spinoff series, *if* you consider it a spinoff of Donkey Kong. I'm sure that "if" is debatable.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wario Ware for the win!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    Mario kart is not a spin off so much as it is a kart racer with mario graphics.
    Do you guys even know what a spinoff is?

Just because I'm lazy, here's what wikipedia has to say in regards to spinoffs (on television):
    "A spin-off in television is a new series which contains either characters or theme elements from an old series. They are particularly common in situation comedy."

So that actually means that the Mario platformers are a spinoff of the old Donkey Kong games, as you said. That's funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's a few Final Fantasy games which I suppose could be considered as "Spin-offs"

Mystic Quest
    Chocobo Racing
    Chocobo Dungeon I & II
    Ergheiz
    Tactics (I suppose)
    Crystal Chronicles
    Kingdom Hearts I. II, & Chain Of Memories

And why on Earth was Chrono Trigger doubled with FFIV on Chronicles??? Are they trying to say that the Crono Trigger series is a spin-off of FF? Or was it simply because they are both Square games?

I would also class games such as Mario Party as a spin-off series. Same goes for any Wario game, which I suppose would be the spin-off of a spin-off...

Smash Bros. And Smash Bros. Melee are also great spin-off's of certain series from Nintendo.

Sims has had The Urbz.

Mega Man has had Tronne Bonne.

Dragon warrior had Torneko, as well as a slew of GameBoy adventures...

Street Fighter had the VS series as well as Pocket Fighter and Puzzle Fighter.

Sonic has had Chaotix; Sonic Shuffle; Shadow The Hedgehog; Mean Bean Machine; And Tail's Adventure Etc...

Resident Evil has also had a few different series of spin-off's, such as the Gun Survivor series, and Code: Veronica, and a couple of GameBoy ones too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are some "true" spin-offs as defined by Ed:

Mario Bros. from Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong Country from Donkey Kong
    Diddy Kong Racing from Donkey Kong Country
    Yoshi's Story from Super Mario World/Super Mario 64
    Wario Land from Super Mario Land
    Luigi's Mansion from Super Mario 64/Super Mario Bros.
    Mega Man Zero from Mega Man
    Mega Man & Bass from Mega Man
    Half-Life Blue Force from Half-Life
    Half-Life Opposing Force from Half-Life
    Knuckles Chaotix from Sonic & Knuckles
    Starcraft Ghost (if it ever comes out) from Starcraft

But I think defining spin-offs, as in a spin-off from one game genre to another is also correct.

Resident Evil Gun Survivor from Resident Evil
    DOA Beach Volleyball from DOA
    Sonic R from Sonic
    C&C Renegade from Command & Conquer
    World of Warcraft from Warcraft
    Lords of Everquest from Everquest
    any Kart, Sport, Pinball, RPG from Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, etc. series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Esquire, I didn't actually "define" spinoffs to exclude genre switches (I just posted a wikipedia quote) and I make no distinctions between "true" and "sorta" spinoffs. I don't see why you'd think Resident Evil: Gun Survivor isn't a real spinoff, seeing how it changes genre.

I also don't see how Mega Man Zero and Bass are spinoffs from Mega Man, but I'm not very keen on the series. Somebody who can give a reason for that will have to speak up, I can't say one way or another