Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Official N64 Thread

In the Retrogaming Roundtable continuing series of classic system homage... let us discuss the system that would prove to be the last cartridge-based console.

I'd like EVERYONE who has ever played this system to give some input here, please.

If you're a Roundtable visitor chances are you've probably played this system. And if so, tell me:

- What is your favorite game on this system?
    - What are some of your other favorites?
    - What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    - Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    - Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    - How many games do you have for it?
    - Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?

Go time! Have fun with this, but by all means, share your thoughts!

NOTE: to jog your memory, you can find a complete list of games right HERE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario 64 sold me on my first N64. At the time the PS1 was going strong on fighting games which I suck at and FF7 which I had finished. The PS1 was offering the same old stuff with better graphics but the N64 had a launch title that defined a new gameplay style.

Zelda on the N64 was easily the greatest gaming experience at the end of the 20th Century. OOT was such a big deal that I'm sure many will remember standing in line at a game store for their gold cart.

Even to this day my only problem with the console was the analog stick needing repair after a few games of Mario Party.

I've got an almost complete N64 collection minus all the sports repeats. The system is rather easy to collect for still with even "rare" carts popping up still in the wild.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N-64 was the party system in high school. Goldeneye and your buds was the best. Later it was Perfect Dark and then it was a little Conker multiplayer. Good times. Come to think of it N-64 was in high school what X-box and Halo became for me in College. I know there was much more to that system but my best memories are ones with friends.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first saw Mario 64 go into the paintings my mouth dropped. I didn't think anything like that was possible. I thought the 3DO was advanced, but nope.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First time I saw the thing in action- Best Buy. Some kids were playing Super Mario 64 at a kiosk while I was playing the giant Game Boy... Heard a nice big yell from one of them, so I decided to go check it out. They were Tossing Bowser!!!! How COOL! This little joystick in the center of the controller could be twirreld arround and at the same time, litle ol' Mario would twirl arround big ol' Bowser!

Thats when I fell in love with the system, I had been pretty disapointed with my other Next-Gen system at the time... SEGA Saturn, especially considering I had always been a Nintendo gamer. So I just had to have my Nintendo 64.

I've had so much fun with it over the years, I often find myself playing long multiplayer sessions with friends even now. And thats really what gave the system staying power, multiplayer accesability. Games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Mario Party, Mario Golf, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, and my personal favorite *Game of all Time* Conker's Bad Fur Day, all fueled my multiplayer gaming needs. And most came with a damn fine single player mode to boot.

And the graphics were just phenominal. Games developed specifically for the system looked great, they didn't have all the pop-in and jitteryness that many 3D PlayStation and Saturn games had. You really felt like you were in a 3D world when playing games like Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. You weren't limited to exploring small rooms and dealing with stationary camera's / camera angles. And despite limited cartridge space, many of the games sound better than your average CD game at the time. Some of the later output in Dolby Surround, and with Factor 5's MusyX compression... you could really crank out Cinema Quality sound on your sound system! (Battle for Naboo anyone?)

Currently it's the only system I "collect" for. It's the only system I know of that has almost no rarities, and the only truly hard to find games were / are rental only. It's definately one of my favorite systems, and will forever sit proudly in my entertainment center.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would have to be, Super Mario 64

Wave Race 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros., Pokemon Stadium, Bomberman 64, Bust-a-Move 2, Quake, DOOM 64, Turok (the original), Star Fox 64, Zelda OoT & Majora's Mask, and Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 2, baffles me how they did all that file compression.

The game that makes me the most upset would have to be, Goldeneye, sometimes the missions were insane, but god I love it.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

October 3rd, 1996....Super Mario 64....Whoa...

Oh ya, I bought it during the Christmas season when Goldeneye was huge. I still have one,never too far for a little bit of N64

Back then, about 23

From December of 1997 till June of 1998...we (my friends and I) During high school, would play Goldeneye every single weekend...that is no joke...24 weekends straight...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

OK:

What is your favorite game on this system? - Of all of the games i own on the N64, I like Goldeneye 007 a lot.

What are some of your other favorites? - THPS1, Star Wars Racer, Mission Impossible, NBA Live 99

What games surprised you? Infuriated you? - Goldeneye 007, NBA Live 99

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction? - I forget when i saw the system in action the first time. The earliest game i remember playing on it was 1080 Degree Snowboarding (I Think that was the game i played, but i can't be sure - I was playing the N64 at a store) And i think that my reaction was "Oh, nice. something i can play on a TV" (I never heard of a videogame before )

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now? - I Didn't own one back in the day, But i own two N64s now. Both are the standard black color.
    How many games do you have for it? - I forget the Exact number, but i think i have about 18 games for the N64.

Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us? - Well, it was my first game system, Other than the GBA. I bought it, 4 N64 games, a second controller, and a memory card all for.. What did i pay again.. Something like from $60 to $95... But i was not collecting back then. i just wanted to play those games.

Well, there you have it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Tough choice. I'd say a tossup between Super Mario 64 and Zelda OOT

Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, the Bomberman games, Indiana Jones

I was surprised by Super Smash Bros. I rented the game not really knowing what it was about, and was amazed by it. I soon after bought a copy for myself.

I was infuriated by 007 TWINE. I was expecting a game as good or greater than the first one, but in my opinion fell FAR short of being anything great. The multiplayer level with the elevators was fun though.

I saw it in action shortly after release, in zellers. They had a game kiosk playing Super Mario 64. My initial reaction was "meh, why do i need this? i have my snes". After playing it for a while i soon changed my mind, and that following xmas received one along with mario. Boy that was a fun 2 weeks off!

Owned it then, still do now

Currently i have 53 games, and probably about 30-40 are boxed/complete

One night Me, my dad, and a friend were playing mario kart 64. We had a blast, and so did my little sister who was watching us. Well she decided to go running down the hallway in the pitch dark at full speed (she was maybe 2 yrs old at best at the time) and smashed her head hard on the corner of our freezer. Needless to say she was crying real hard, and for no reason my dad sent my friend home. I think my parents took her to the hospital to see if any serious damage was done, but it was just a bad, big ugly lump. Any harder and im sure her head wouldve split open

that is all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I got my N64 the second month that it was out back '96. The first time I saw it in action was when I popped in my newly purchased copy of Mario 64. I was amazed at the graphics and lush worlds that it presented.

My all-time favorite game for the system is probably Goldeneye. My friends and I would spend hours playing 4 man deathmatch on it. I only owned 7 games for it back then (and two of them were Turok games).

I've been grabbing N64 games here and there lately and am up to about 20. I still think Goldeneye is my favorite but I also really enjoy Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Perfect Dark.

The N64 was probably the last system that I really enjoyed until I started picking up gaming again late last year. I still only own one current gen console (the Gamecube) and bought it mostly from my love of Nintendo systems (starting back when I got my NES for Christmas at the age of 8).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember my group of friends were separated into those who backed the PSX and those who were in favor of the N64. I was more of a PSX guy because I thought CDs were the way to go as opposed to cartridges. But I'll never forget the first time my N64 cronies fired up Mario 64. Anyone who even held any remote dislike for the system was most likely changed that day. It was a huge step in so many ways. Pilotwings was also very impressive and a fun game for all of us to play. I wasn't as taken by Wave race, although it was certainly a decent game in its own right. Same with Turok.

But the mother of all games in high school was Goldeneye. People were freakishly good at that game. Literally groups of us would take turns for hours playing that game. To this day, it's still my favorite multiplayer game.

Favorite game on the system: Goldeneye, big surprise.

Other favorites: Perfect Dark, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, the Goemon game, the Zeldas, and hell, I even liked the Castlevanias.

I did not own the system back in the day. I do own one now, and own Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Castlevania. Looking forward to beefing up the collection quite a bit though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Wow, memories

Bond 007 : Goldeneye, hands down 100%

Super smash bros was a damn good game, Mario Kart 64 as well

Bond 007 is probably one of the "funnest" games I have ever played. Same goes for Mario Kart 64, I never thought it could be so much fun. It was like a daily ritual at college. Go to class, get back at 2 pm, drink beer and play 007 / Mario Kart until 2 am... An endless cycle

Hmmm... I would have to say it was Mario 64. I just remember jumping around everywhere and sliding on his belly or something like that

Yeah owned it back then, still have it till this day (although the box is missing )

Less than 10 probably, havent really counted lately but a majority of them have been stolen in college (especially the friggin Excitebike 64 that I bought on release day got stolen that same night

4 player bond... all day all night

PSN: SouthRox

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Killemall1057

WWF No Mercy
    Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, WCW/NWO Revenge
    Pokemon Stadium suprised me. N/A on infuriated games
    I remember a video of Wave Race 64, don't remember my reaction.
    - Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now? No, but I played it alot at my cousin & friend's house
    N/A
    - Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us? My Friend's N64 coming close to overheating after playing it for about a half hour.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Official N64 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I'd like EVERYONE who has ever played this system to give some input here, please.
    Ok.

If you're a Roundtable visitor chances are you've probably played this system. And if so, tell me:

My favorites are Mario 64 and Zelda OOT. They are both classics and really demonstrated how this whole 3D gaming thing would work. I also liked Goldeneye and Starfox 64.

Hmm... not sure. Blast Corps was pretty tough, and Killer Instinct Gold gave me blisters. Things I didn't like about the N64 in general were the high game prices, the inconsistent save systems (sometimes on the cart, sometimes on the memory card), and the controller (particularly swapping save cards and rumble packs).

I can't say I remember specifically the first time I saw an N64 game. I was checking out all 3 systems (Saturn, PlayStation and N64) before I got one (I do remember playing Die Hard Trilogy on the PS). My earliest memories were getting the system shortly after it launched and playing Mario 64. My reaction was that I was witnessing the next step in gaming (which I was). It was Mario in 3D, not 2D Mario with 3D graphics. Whether exploring underwater caverns, sliding down a mountain, or soaring through the air it showed how using 3D could create a large, immersive world that you could fully explore without the usual restrictions.

The inside of the pyramid in the sand world seems to stand out in my mind, particularly the part where the giant log appears.

Had it then, have it now.

About 15 or so. Others I played via rental. They were always so expensive.

Can't think of anything right now. If something comes to mind, I will add it later.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I first caught a glimpse of Mario 64 at Wal Mart before the demo kiosk had a chance to get trashed and remember feeling lukewarm about what I saw until I actually held the controller in my hands. Moving Mario felt so seamless and intuitive my opinion quickly changed.

When the N64 debuted my best friend at the time ordered his set through a Fingerhut catalogue in anticipation for Christmas, the demand was so great I remember he didn't get it until January. He must have paid 300 USD total for a system and Mario 64 or something ilke that. We spent quite a few nights into the wee hours of the morning trying to get all those stupid stars.

During those years, I lived in an area where a new video game system was perceived as a big purchase for a family, but even a newly immigrated, multi-member household of dubious legality from Puerto Rico had one for their kids for December. Not the best of investments when you're in that kind of situation but that's how influential the entertainment industry is.

Times change and my friend and I drifted apart, moved, etc.

I just did get a N64 for myself a couple weeks ago, with Mario 64, Perfect Dark and Castlevania. I'm hopelessly addicted to the first title, it truly is a classic and stands on its own merits even today.

It seems that one of the faults of the N64 is that Nintendo made such an impression with its launch title that any third party that DID make software for it pretty much copied Mario 64, and the results were barely comparable in execution.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good ol' Nintendo 64.. Fun machine that had the best multiplayer party-type games.

Favorite game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Other favorites: Super Mario 64, WCW/nWo Revenge, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye 007, Paper Mario

Game that surprised/infuriated me: Nothing really surprised me or irritated me that much, from what I can remember.

First time I saw the system in action: It was in either '95 or '96 when Toys 'R Us had a display at a kiosk, and most of the time, I'd try out whatever game was on there, which most of the time was Super Mario 64.

System ownage: Back in '99, my brother bought it from someone for $50 and two controllers. Shortly after the recent ('04) Christmas, I went to Gamestop and bought a used system for $20.

# of games owned: Only four: Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, Mario Kart 64, and Cruis'n USA.

Cool memories: During the summer of '98, my brother and I spent the night with two friends of ours. We stayed up until 5:15 AM mostly playing WCW/nWo World Tour. Only got 6 hours of sleep (got up at 11:15 AM), and still felt great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your favorite game on this system?
    Perfect Dark

What are some of your other favorites?
    Lylat Wars, Top Gear Rally, Blast Corps, Re-Volt, World Driver Championship, Mario Party 2, Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Wipeout 64, Wave Race 64.

What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    World Driver Champuionship surprised me. The graphics are almost Dreamcast-quality. Infuriated? Ugh...too many to list.

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Cruis'n USA was the first game I saw in action in about mid-1997 and I thought it looked cool, and it was the first game I got. Little did I know that the N64 could do SO much better!

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    Got mine on August 30th 1997 - two days after my 12th birthday. I still have that console to this day. I also acquired an NTSC-U one in late 2002.

How many games do you have for it?
    Currently 50 - most of which is boxed and complete.

Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    Friends + WCW vs. nWo: World Tour + four controllers = the best time I've had on a console.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo 64 = Best system EVER!

Favorite: Mario Kart 64
    Others: Super Mario 64, Mario Party 1-3, Road Rash, Stunt Racer, Vigilante 8, Vigilante 8 2nd Offence
    Time Owned: "Back in the day", and still gets played just about every day
    # of games: 19 (as of now)
    Stories: My very first system, and still the best.
    GO NINTENDO 64!!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Official N64 Thread

Mario Kart 64 noneother have I spent so long behind the controlls blasting into the elite time record on time trials.

007, Mario 64, ZELDA Begins 1&2

Mario64 such an intricate overal experience more than the title led you to believe if you were a late comer. 007 Arghh! Why is my Brother a Genius at this game dropping tha hammer on everyone around.

Mario Kart 64 in my home, whoah baby here it comes!

Owned it right when MArio Kart 64 came out, still do

about 30

none but what Iv'e said soforth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Super Mario 64

Banjo Kazooie
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Goldeneye 007
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Mario Kart 64
    Mario Party
    Paper Mario
    Perfect Dark
    Star Fox 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

Well Super Mario 64 surprised me the most (see next answer), but another game that surprised me that people may have passed up is Pokemon Snap. Now I never really got into the whole Pokemon craze...I liked the first GB game but didn't bother with anything else. My cousin had gotten this game (he loved pokemon) and he brought it over. The premise of the game sounds ridiculous and most would think that only a pokemon fan would love it, but you would be wrong...this game is so addicting, I had to have a copy right after playing his. Who knew taking pictures was so much fun .

For a game that infurates me, I guess I'll go with Mischief Makers. Love the game, but it's damn hard at times...lots and lots of deaths in that one

Bought the system on launch day...went home and popped in Super Mario 64 Absolute awe...I couldn't believe what I was seeing or playing. It is my most memorible moment in my gaming life. Everything I ever saw or knew about games changed that day...everything was revolutionary about the game, and it was all done so well.

Got it on launch day.

I have 46 games for the system.

Here's my story of my events on the launch day for the system (taken from a thread I made a while ago):

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...launch+stories

My father had taken me to Toys R Us to buy the N64 around 6:00 PM (As you can see my chances were already low due to the time of day). When we got there we found that all of the systems were sold out. I of course was upset. So we decided to go to the mall since it had three stores that sold games. We get to the mall, got to Babbages...no systems. We got to KB...none left. Once again I was upset. But never fear, there was one more store to go in the mall, EB. So we walk over the EB and ask if they have any systems left, they say that have one left...hurray! BUT the guy tells me that its on reserve for a lady for was supposed to pick it up earlier that day. Well that certainly ruined my mood for a while. I must have looked really upset because as we were walking away the guy called us back. He told us that since it was close to closing time and since the lady didn't look like she was going to show, he was going to sell the system to us. Well I certainly have never met a nicer employee at any game store before or after that night. So I picked up my N64 with Mario and when I played that game for the first time, I can still remember the awe that I had. I guess I kinda feel bad for that lady...nah :P

Another thing to mention, though not really a story, was the significance of the N64's multiplayer library. I spent many many nights in college with my buddies battling it out in Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Perfect Dark, etc. As much as I love the N64 as a single player machine, the multiplayer is absolutely amazing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your favorite game on this system?
    Starfox 64

Killer Instinct Gold
    Mario Kart 64
    Super Mario 64
    Blast Corps.

I was surprised at Resident Evil 2--sure it had compression lines galore... but still...

Shadows of the Empire...I'm a SW fanboy...it looked pretty "sweet"

I did not buy an N64 until three months after launch.\
    I do not own the system now.

I had the following:
    Super Mario 64
    Blast Corps
    Killer Instinct Gold
    Shadows of the Empire
    Mario Kart 64
    Starfox 64

At a party, I had 21 shots of tequila and then played Mario Kart 64...I don't recall if I won though.