Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Official N64 Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Official N64 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress

- What is your favorite game on this system?
    - What are some of your other favorites?
    - What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    - Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    - Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    - How many games do you have for it?
    - Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    HERE.
    It's hard to pick my absolute favorite game for the N64, but I can narrow it down to two in different categories...

F-Zero X (This is my "stuck on deserted island game. I still think that the original SNES game rules over all sequels.)

Sin & Punishment (my all-time favorite N64 game, but it's too short for island duty.)

Some other favorites include...

Diddy Kong Racing (Superior to the allmighty Mario Kart 64 in my opinion, much better AI mainly)

Hydro Thunder (plays better than the DC version and beats the crap out of the shitty PSone port.)

Rayman 2: The Great Escape (same comments as Hydro Thunder)

Road Rash 64 (Looks like ass, but man, does it play great and the crash animations are hilarious.)

Stunt Racer 64 (DAMN this game looks and place great!)

Wetrix (hey... don't knock it until you play it days on end.)

-Carmegaddon 64 irked with it its blatant awfulness. Who the hell approved this?
    -Mario Kart 64 pissed me off with its cheating SOB A.I. Diddy Kong Racingis far superior.
    -I was disappointed to hear that Sin & Punishment had been cancelled for a USA release, even though it had already been localized. GameFan did a big interview with Treasure and everything.
    -Stunt Racer 64 surprised me with its beauty and fluidity. I wasn't happt to see the gorgeous hi-res mode in letterbox, though.

I first saw the N64 in action the day after it came out. My friend had Mario 64. I thought it looked and played great, but I'd already been very impressed with Battle Arena Toshindin and Ridge Racer on PSone, so it wasn't the "WOW!" experience that some people had.

My boyfriend at the time bought me a new N64 for my birthday (or maybe it was Christmas) in 1999. It had Star Wars Episode I: Racer packed in with it. I thought the game was fast, beautiful, and got hard as hell too quickly. It took a while to get used to the controller, but now I like it a lot.

I still have my old N64, and I also got a Watermelon console to match me decor. It stays out most of the time.

I have about 200 or so Nintendo 64 games, most of them boxed. I have about 10 or so imports. The N64 import scene is sadly ignored, and that's a shame. There are some really cool imports for the N64 (nothing like the Saturn, though.)

Bakuretu Muteki Bangaioh
    Bomberman 64 (last N64 game)
    Custom Robo 1 & 2
    Dezaemon 3D (Shooter maker!)
    Sin & Punishment
    Rukakids

I remember when Next Generation Magazine had the N64 on the cover with the headline "SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH NINTENDO 64" and a big image of a shattered Mario face on it. There article was about how the "Triple A" and "Dream Team" games were really not so great (Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Cruisin' USA) but that NOA was concentrating on how the N64 games were selling so great and ignoring the fact that many of the games were crap and if there are only a few games available for a popular console then those games will sell regardless of quality.

In short, the N64 is one of my all-time favorite consoles dispite the Vaseline graphics.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gotta be Paper Mario. OoT and SM64 are close though.
    Goldeneye, Excitebike64, Kirby64...
    Paper Mario surprised me. I guess Superman64 infuriated me but I really bought it because I wanted to play the worst game ever. The rumors are true. Superman64 and NCAA Basketball for SNES.
    - Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    At a Target, at one of the N64 displays. Saw Mario64. Thought it looked brilliant and everything was so different from what defined gaming for me.
    Nope, but played others'. Nope, but I still play others'.
    Not really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Wave Race 64
    Goldeneye
    Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
    Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Mario Kart 64
    Star Wars: Rouge Squadron
    Super Smash Bros.
    F-Zero X
    Mischief Makers
    Perfect Dark
    Jet Force Gemini
    Pilotwings 64
    WWF No Mercy

Ocarina of Time far suceeded any expectations I had for it. I usually always prefer the 2D version of a game, and although I knew I'd like OoT, I didn't think it would be as good as the 2D Zeldas. Boy was I wrong.

It was at Blockbuster Video. They had the Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64 set up there for people to play...and this was like a full month before Sept 29th when the system was released! I played Super Mario 64 there to death, until one of the Blockbuster employees kicked me off. The blockbuster was about about 2 miles from my house, so I would get on my bike and ride there almost every other day just to play Mario 64 until one of the employees said I had to stop.

Yeah, I got it for Christmas 1996...about 3 months after it had been released. I still own my N64 to this day.

I own 30 games for it....all of them are complete.

Unlike the SNES....I knew about the N64 WAY before it was released. I subscribed to Nintendo Power Magazine (and still do) and I first read something about the N64 in a late 1994 issue when it was being called "Project Reality". Over the next year or so...I followed every update on the N64 there was in NP magazine. I saw the first picture of the N64 system unit in a mid 1995 issue, when it was still being called the Nintendo Ultra 64. The January 1996 issue of NP was the one that really got me fired up for the N64. It was the first time I had ever seen pictures of the games, and it looked amazing! Nintendo did a very good job of hyping their new system up. A few months later, there was another big N64 preview in one of the NP mags. This time, there were more pictures and more games. At this point...I decided to start saving up so I could buy an N64 the very day it came out.

As I mentioned above, I got to play the N64 for the first time at our local Blockbuster Video about a month before the release date. That just made me want one all the more. By the time Sept 29th rolled around...I had only managed to save up $150 (hey, I was only 13 at the time). I begged my parents to let me borrow the rest of the money, but they said no way. So I knew I would just have to wait for Christmas. Problem was, every single store had sold out of N64 units within a week...and all of them said they wouldn't be getting more N64s in until AFTER Christmas. Well, I was really pissed off.

About a week before Christmas, my mom came to me and said there was no way I was going to get an N64 for Christmas. She said she had called every store within a 100 miles, and they all had told her the same thing, no N64 systems till January or Febuary. Even on the news they were talking about how people that had gotten their hands on an N64 were turning around and selling it for double or even triple the original price!

So Christmas morning came...and for the first time in my life, I wasn't all that excited about opening presents. I knew I wasn't going to be getting an N64 that day. I opened up an envelope that had an "I owe u" from my mom for an N64 system. She said that she had given several stores our phone number, and they would call as soon as they got an N64 system in...which could be one or even two months down the road. I was very depressed. After we had all finished opening presents...i headed back to bed. But my mom stopped me and said there was one last present she had forgotten to put under the tree. She pointed me towards the closet and told me not to get excited because it wasn't anything big. I opened the closet and and there was the package on the ground. What could it be? I opened it up....and it was a NINTENDO 64!!!!!!!!!
    And not just an N64 system...my parents had gotten me Super Mario 64 as well!! I seriously had never been so excited in my life. I was screaming my head off!

Turns out, a guy my family knew worked for Nintendo, and he was able to get us the N64 with the game. My mom told me the funny thing was, that after she had gotten the N64 and game from him...a video game store she had given our phone number too called and said they had gotten a very small supply of N64s in and they would hold one for her. Looks like I would have gotten an N64 for Christmas nomatter what had happened!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Starfox 64, easily. I played that game to DEATH. Beat it like 3 times a day for almost half a year.

the Zeldas, Mario, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smash Bros, Mario Tennis, Robotron 64, Rogue Squadron...there's quite a few.

Well, I can't say I expected Mario Tennis to be so damn good. On the flip side, I couldn't have imagined Forsaken being so damn bad.

It was at my friend's house after christmas, as he got it. We spent all day playing Pilotwings, Shadows of the Empire, and Mario 64, and I was lovin every second of it.

Yup, and it was the first system I ever bought with my own money. Still one of my favorites, I think it's aged better than the Saturn and PS1's games did, at least graphically.

Well, I recall the time I was playing Smash Bros with my friends, and, winning so many games in a row, they decided to do a 3 on 1 handicap match against me. I won.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started on the N64....the "uncool" system. The "kiddie" system......I STILL to this day don't know WHY people called it that. If you take a look at the complete library there wasn't much that would appeal to kids.

I guess that I like the N64 games for the same reason that you would like "comfort foods". There's something warm and familiar about them. I clocked SO much time with these games during the many years when it was my only console. When the N64 was good it was VERY good.

I recently made the somewhat difficult decision to stop collecting for the N64. I unloaded about 60 mint completes and kept only the games that I routinely enjoy playing. The decision was based on the fact that I still had too many of the common shitty titles (like WWF Attitude) to buy in order to own a complete library, and the potential monetary outlay was something that I didn't want to get into. It taught me that if you're going to go for a complete library, you've got a better chance if you do it from launch day. I wish I had of done it with the Cube.

N64? Great system, unique texturing, awesome controller and some great developers making som special games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I remember that first time I saw an N64 was at my cousins house on Thanksgiving day. He was playing Mario 64. The only thing that impressed me at the time were the graphics of it, but when I started playing it, I wanted to get an N64 right away. But unfortunatly, that didnt happen because I already had a Playstation 1 and I couldnt afford it with just my allowance money :-(

007 Goldeneye

Super Smash Brothers
    Mario 64
    Perfect Dark
    Resident Evil 2

Super Smash Brothers was awesome, totally rocked my world when I didnt think it would.

See above
    No I didnt own it "back in the day" but now I have one, complete in box Smoke colored, very beautiful

- Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us? Nope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*WARNING: I will rant*

This is one of my favorite systems. It harnesses the graphics and sound that I love. The only issue I had with the system was how the polygons glitched so often with camera views, but this is expected. With the games, I love the selection. There are few games that I don't enjoy on this system. Of course my first game I bought was Super Mario 64 because it was astonishing and terrific gameplay that made it have huge replay value personally. The second game that I fell for was Wave Race 64 because it felt like I was actually riding along and taking the jumps. The physics was so well done! Most say Goldeneye 007 is their favorite FPS, I claim Quake 2 as mine. Being different from the PC version made it a must for me to get. I roughly have 50 N64 games and continue to buy them up when I spot them on sale.
    I'd have to say the controllers are really nice in the design. It was different from all privous constructs and made a lot of the games for the system have great control attributes. An edge that it had over the PS1 to me was the Cartridge. The PS1 loadtime sometimes kept me away from it, with games like Diablo taking minutes to load a game matrix. With the idea of continuing the life of the cartridge is a clinger. I don't think we'll see another cartridge home game system again (meaning non-handheld). There are a lot of childrens games on here but hell, there's still plenty of party, fps, sports/racing, puzzle, and action games that make up for it.
    Conkers Bad Fur Day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goldeneye 007, This is the best FPS to me and by far the best Bond game ever! Everything about it was quality, and it held up to the movie very well. To this day the game is still a blast, from the single player, to the kick ass multiplayer, to the insane amount of secrets hidden in the game.

Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Micro Machines 64, Space Station Silicon Valley, Body Harvest, Resident Evil 2, Harvest Moon 64, Banjo Kazooie, Tetrisphere, Super Smash Brothers, Pilot Wings, Road Rash 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and a big shout out to all the games I forgot to list that rocked!

Surprised? Goldeneye(my first real FPS), Space Station Silicon Valley(rented it not knowing anything about it and finding out it rocked!), Body Harvest(awesome free roaming action!). Infuriated? NBA Jam 2000(because I thought it would be like the classic Jam games and it sucked ass compared to those), Quest 64(Nothing needs to be said), Most of the later levels in Goldeneye on 00 Agent, really hard at the time, but still fun as hell!

The first time I saw it in action was on the demo units at Toys R Us in the Summer of '96? I remember it crystal clear, we were on vacation at a Toys R us in Michigan visting my grand parents, I was about 6 years old. And me and my Dad played Mario Kart on the demo unit. IT WAS MIND BLOWING!

I'm very proud to say I did, My parents got me the N64 with Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Kart 64 in the Summer of '97. And I still own an N64 of course, not my original unit sadly, but an Ice Blue unit purchased around when the "Funtastic series" had just came out. Since my black system had died.

I think around 70 or so.

More then I could ever list! Seriously, here are some of my favorites though... Ok so, even though these are mostly memories.

-First hooking up the system and seeing Mario Kart in action, the graphics were breath taking(keep in mind all I had played was NES/Genesis). And this was my first real taste of 3D gaming(besides abit of time playing my uncles PSX).

-All the matches of Mario Kart we used to play, in Battle mode. Seriously everyone I knew was into that game, my Mom, Dad, friends, cousins, ect. Tons of great battle storys!

-The first time playing Super Mario 64, that was amazing. Really words can't describe it.

-Playing deathmatch on Goldeneye, really any battle had some good moments. I remember me and my friend Ricky would spend hours playing hostage in the Facility, locking eachother in the bathroom stalls.

-When Harvest Moon came out me and a few friends were addicted, we each had a file and we'd play every ay and compare secrets/tips. Anyway this one kid, was kind of stuck up and more or less a jerk at times. Anyway he would always hog time on my N64 playing HM64 without giving anyone else a turn. He got to the part where oyu have to give the girl a Blue Feather to marry her, anyway he got in a hurry and some how wasted it. And it turns out that item never seems to come back after that one time! After that he wasen't to into the game anymore! HAHAHA.

Sorry for my long rant of a post everyone, but to me the N64 is an incredible system. It doesn't have tons of features, killer graphics, or the ability to play movies/cds. But it gets gaming right on the mark, The N64 really does live up to that slogan of being "The Fun Machine". Alot of you might think I'm crazy, but to me the Nintendo 64 is gaming at it's best! This system is a big part of my childhood, with countless memories and good times wrapped up in it. IMO Only the Dreamcast can match the 64 for the greatest system ever. Everyone has that certain system, the special console that brings a tear of joy to your eye just thinking of it. WELL THIS IS IT, LONG LIVE THE NINTENDO 64!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Excitebike 64

Aero Gauge, Blitz, Mortal Kombat Triology

Excitebike 64 surprised me because of the old school Excitebike and the freestyle mode had a 360 and was nice.
    Havent played many games, but NFL Blitz seems to piss me off on ever port.....passing game is just too hard, lost many a controller for the ps1

I was at a toy store in the Gurnee Mills Mall, I think it was a Mario game. I hated using the joystick cuz i kept fucking up

I just got one at the end of last year, it was my brothers......dunno when he got it, i never really played much exept for "Excitebike 64"

not really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ocarina of Time.

Mario 64, Pilot Wings, Goemon, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye.

Blast Corps was a nice surprise. Castlevania 64 I thought was poor compared to others in the series. The camera angles definitely infuriated me.

The first game I ever played was M.rio 64. I can't remember if I'd seen it in action before that. My reaction was:

I got the system a couple of months after launch. Still have the same one now.

About 25 I think.

Well I nearly failed my first year exams at university thanks to too much multiplayer Goldeneye and Mario Kart!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so this doesn't exactly follow the rest of the thread, but... what is the best way to repair a loose/broken joystick in an N64 controller? I am sure this topic has come up, but I'm fairly new so I thought I'd throw that out there.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaJoey23
    Ok, so this doesn't exactly follow the rest of the thread, but... what is the best way to repair a loose/broken joystick in an N64 controller? I am sure this topic has come up, but I'm fairly new so I thought I'd throw that out there.
    Go to search and look up "N64 controller" in the Technical and Restoration Society forum. You'll find a bunch of threads to check. If you don't find the answer you are looking for you can start a new thread in that forum.

Also, check the Knowledge Base (linked off the home page).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm... What the total number of US release N64 games? I have the PDF from Nintendo.com but I don't feel like counting.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

- What is your favorite game on this system? Super Smash Bros, dispite the fact I don't own the game.
    Mario Tennis, Pokemon snap
    - What games surprised you?
    Pokemon snap, I thought it would be more tricky
    Infuriated you?
    The closest to infuriated i can think of is pokemon stadium, it had a real lack of a story
    - Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?
    yes it was my birthday present, i got the pikachu one, it's cheeks light up, so cute.
    What game was it?
    pokemon stadium, and pokemon snap
    What was your reaction?
    i thought it was amazing, i'd only ever played a gbc before.
    - Did you own the system "back in the day"?
    yes
    How about now?
    still have it, it did need a few repairs over the years though
    an embarassing 3, i got 2 games when i first got it, i never completed them entirely so i didn't bother getting new ones. Recently I got Zelda OoT, i haven't played it bcos my controller is broken (but 2 new controllers are on the way via the postal system )
    When I repaired the power supply, the cable became 6 inches long
    plz excuse me, I didn't know it was illegal to be a teenager.