Default 51 Game Crazy Stores to be Closed

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

Yeah I would love a list... and hate the same time... I just hope my beloved Lufkin store surivives. Last list killed my Lufkin Circuit City... which equals no more current gen $4.99 games for me.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering that there's probably about 25 stores out here in Arizona, I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or even 2 go.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange time to be doing so... especially when it's all relating to sales (...sales of videos)

If they are looking for sales boost, you'd think they'd be focused on Next-Gen preorders and the eventual consumer rush after release like GameStop already seems to be doing.

We have 2 GameCrazy stores in the area (that I know of...) Easilly the best game-retail chain, the employees actually know a thing or two about their product. It would suck to see one *or both* of them close, especially considering I have an application in the nearest.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Considering that there's probably about 25 stores out here in Arizona, I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or even 2 go.

Oh, I am counting on it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those are getting shut down, the Game Stop buy out of EB Games went through...

A heavy sigh just can not sum it up correctly.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two words: That sucks!
    My Game Collection, Doubles Are For Sale: http://www.rfgeneration.com. User name is Shaggy. I will entertain any other reasonable offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Let's look at it this way, Hollywood Entertainment (former head of Hollywood Video / GameCrazy) was hemorrhaging money which is why Movie Gallery aquired them in April. (it's kinda funny because last summer there was behind the scenes talk of Blockbuster Video buying out Hollywood Entertainment) Hollywood Entertainment was run horribly and screwed up left and right to drill themselves right into the ground. I'm sure that 5.5 million dollar class action lawsuit (really that was the settlement) Hollywood Entertainment lost against Hollywood Video / GameCrazy workers in California from 2000~2004 didn't help any either. (still waiting for MY freaking check)

The ten prototype GameCrazy stores in Oregon grew into the current GameCrazy model and were their last hope to turn things around, and they ARE doing well. The problem is that Hollywood Entertainment got into the habit of tossing a GameCrazy into any Hollywood Video location that could spare the floorspace. (you should see the non-existant backrooms of some of the instore GameCrazy's! - sardines in a can) This + the standalone locations simply put too much on their plate which lost them tons more money on something that was actually profitable.

This doesn't mean they're going out of business, it means that FINALLY the upper echelons are being run correctly. Things like the 3 for $15 sale to boost business and clear out the distribution center backlog were more signs of this. Sure, a store here or there may close but these are unprofitable locations. You have to slice off the weak branches for the stronger ones to continue to thrive and grow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited
    Strange time to be doing so... especially when it's all relating to sales (...sales of videos)

If they are looking for sales boost, you'd think they'd be focused on Next-Gen preorders and the eventual consumer rush after release like GameStop already seems to be doing.
    Do stores like EBWorld and Gamestop really make that much off of pre-orders and console sales? I though that the markup was pretty small and that they made the majority of their money reselling used games and consoles.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pre-orders and Subscriptions are their main focus (More so the Subscriptions or "MVP Cards").

I wish they would focus more on Pre-orders, because that is where the real money is. Alot of people get annoyed when you offer them a magazine it seems (Or so I Have noticed from time to time)

Yet the company (GameCrazy) wants MVP's more then pre-orders....because it pretty much is like commission to the employees...More you sell, the more hours you get...

They do focus on Used sales alot, especially every 3 hours of the day, since they keep a tally of the percentage of "Used"
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man i hope non of the stores around me close - they seemed to be profitable - i always see people in them when im there althogh a couple are dingy and i dont like to shop there - but i do step in especialy when they have great deals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope none the Gamecrazy's around here close. I always look forward to their sales, especially that 3 for $15 deal a little while back.

BTW, just because a store nearby may be closing doen't mean there will be any deals. I would think most of the stock would be returned to the distribution center to be recycled though other stores.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never seen a Game Crazy in real life, there aren't any for a couple hundred miles, I actually don't know of any GC's. It sucks, because I always hear of people getting some good deals from them.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope none in my area close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I've never been to Game Crazy. I just looked on the web and it looks like there are three here in Oklahoma, none near me at all. Hrm. Sounds like a road trip to me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure where number#3 is Flack. But the #1 and #2 are in Tulsa and in Broken Arrow. The Stores are located in the following places roughly.

The Tulsa Store is in a really crappy location. It is located on Admiral and not too far from the Wendy's near I think 73rd? Anyway, you go to that Wal-Mart super Center on Admiral and Memorial, and then head West on Admiral. About a block or so on the South side will be the Hollywood video and Game Crazy store.

The other is about the same size and is located in Broken Arrow. It's hiding off 81st and Elm. Or...is it 91st and Elm? Either way, it is considerably farther out, and also not the best location as it is sorta hidden and tucked away.

Where was store#3 located?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There must be four then! The Game Crazy website lists the following two locations for Oklahoma City.

9101 S Pennnsylvania Ave
    Oklahoma City, OK 73159-6934 (405) 691-5974

7450 E Reno Ave
    Midwest City, OK 73110-4316 (405) 737-2560

The first one must be off of 91st and Penn. The major cross streets are 74th and 104th, so it's somewhere in between them. It's about 10 minutes from where I work, I think I'll drop over there during lunch.

The second one is in MWC, to far for a lunch trip but maybe after work or this weekend. By the looks of the address it appears to be a block or two away from Tinker Air Force Base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one by me is closing, but it was pretty cool, they sent me a $20 gift certificate and extended my membership for another year.

Just a heads-up though, the gift certificate can't be used at any store that's closing (found that out the hard way yesterday).

BTW, in the Minneapolis area, all of the GameCrazys except for 1 in Roseville and 1 in Golden Valley are closing...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are two gamecrazy's around here, and I'd be pretty sad to see them go. I usually find good stuff there, and it's the only place left to find older stuff other than garage sales & thrifts, at least in my area. Though I think one of them might close...everytime I've been in there, I'm the only customer there!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn this is GREAT news for me, the indy store I work at has a gamecrazy in the same lot as us(we have been there for 9 years they have been there 5). If that store is 1 of the stores it will help us out soo much! I know this sucks for most of you but its the best news I have got all day !