Thread: Do you think Sony's PSP will survive the firmware update?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you think Sony's PSP will survive the firmware update?

Do you guys think that everyone will understand what Sony means when their games ask users to update the firmware. I think users will think their PSP is broken and won't understand whats going on. I don't think Sony can force everyone to update. Remember PSPs did not come with instructions on how to update and it did not come with a sony card reader or a usb cord to update firmwares. Sony can't force us to update!

What do you think?

PS. I predict many Sony PSPs will be sold to GameCrazy, EB, and Game Stop.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Do you think Sony will survive the firmware update?

Sony must survive, I WILL SURVIIIIIIVE

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I definitely don't agree with you. You are making it sound much more catistrophic than it is. It will be an inconvenience. I will say that if the game stores are smart, they will make themselves able to update people's PSPs for them. Kids without tech-saavy parents will be a problem, as well as people who want to use their PSP for nothing but gaming (and thereofre do not want or need a USB cable).

Chris

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Do you think Sony's PSP will survive the firmware update

[quote="Cmtz"]Do you guys think that everyone will understand what Sony means when their games ask users to update the firmware.quote]

ABSOLUTELY ... every 6 year old or at the very least his grandma who bought him the PSP to end the tantrum will certainly know what firmware is and how to update it.

Sounds like a disaster in the making to me.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It will be interesting.

I mean: I'm technically a "Blue Collar" union employee, but i also happen to be very tech-savvy. There are hundreds upon hundreds of people who i work with who aren't, and due to the nature of the downtime and shifts(24 hours straight sometimes) i know at LEAST 25-30 people who can't defrag a harddrive, install a computer game, and who think that America Online is(or at least runs/controls) the "Internet" who own PSP's for movies, games during downtime, etc..

I know as a fact that if all of a sudden games and such stop working, they aren't going to have any idea at all how to upgrade it, or even that upgrading a portable game device is even possible. With that said: I can't imagine that such a thing would be a completely isolated incident to my personal experience. People sometimes forget just how un-tech savvy the average Joe Consumer is.

Will be interesting to see the backlash if any.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here comkes the backlash at Sony. I think this will be a mistake like the previous posts said. People don't know how or don't want to update, etc.
    My Game Collection, Doubles Are For Sale: http://www.rfgeneration.com. User name is Shaggy. I will entertain any other reasonable offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From personal retail experience:

Considering how many phonecalls / questions I get bombarded with concerning just transferring an mp3 to memory card, this will be a disaster. I can hear the phone ringing now...

Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I connect to XBox Live, and the game I'm playing has a required patch available, all I have to do is hit the freaking A button to download and install it. It's not like PSP software won't be able to streamline the interface just like this. Heh.

Personally I'd be more worried about people like me that might stop buying games because they don't want to "upgrade" their 1.50 firmware and stop using emulators.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

I can see a lot of these problems being resolved by having the game tell them something rather neutral, like "the game needs to update your PSP's system software, please hit whatever to continue". Maybe put a note in the manual that it may ask for this. Also put a note in that says your PSP is NOT broken.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    Personally I'd be more worried about people like me that might stop buying games because they don't want to "upgrade" their 1.50 firmware and stop using emulators.
    Agreed. Right now, there is no game that I would buy if it meant that I had to upgade my firmware and stop playing emulators. I wouldn't buy the game just on general principle. Sony isn't going to make me unneccisarily upgrade my firmware just to play some damned game. Now if there was an actual reason why the firmware NEEDED to be upgraded in order for the game to run then that would be different. But I'm not going to be basically black-mailed into upgrading my firmware.

ust the fact that I can play all these emulators on my PSP makes it worth the $250.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stressboy
    I can see a lot of these problems being resolved by having the game tell them something rather neutral, like "the game needs to update your PSP's system software, please hit whatever to continue". Maybe put a note in the manual that it may ask for this. Also put a note in that says your PSP is NOT broken.
    Nah, I'm sure it'll say something like "SYSTEM BOOT ERROR - KEY IN THE BOOTLOADER IN HEX AT THE CONSOLE TO CONTINUE..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had customers ask for a disc so they can format their Playstation 2... Because the DRE screens say "Please insert a Playstation format disc."

It's always a lovely time explaining this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it could end up pretty painless. From what I gather, the Japanese release of Coded Arms is forcing a firmware upgrade to 1.50. Check this link:
    http://www.psphacker.com/2005/06/cod...e-upgrade.html for more info.

But then again, ignorance often seems boundless....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only games I plan on buying for the PSP this year are Death Jr., Medevil, and Namco Collection. If any of these require me to updatr my firmware, they lost a sale. I'd much rather enjoy my emulators and homebrew games then PSP games.

Seriously, Sony knows exactly what is going on (Ebay is removing all 1.0 PSP auctions), and by forcing an update they are getting rid of the homebew stuff. However, I'm sure quite a few people went out and BOUGHT a PSP JUST to do HomeBrew (No need for a flashcart for GBA, no need for a GP32 either).
    eBay Feedback / eBay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what i want to know is, why is sony trying to block the homebrew/emu scene on the PSP? i have yet to read about any cases of pirated UMDs, playing an emulator or homebrew isnt really any different than playing an mp3 or mpeg file.

you no longer own your hardware

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    what i want to know is, why is sony trying to block the homebrew/emu scene on the PSP? i have yet to read about any cases of pirated UMDs, playing an emulator or homebrew isnt really any different than playing an mp3 or mpeg file.

you no longer own your hardware :roll:
    Sony wants to shut down the homebrew/emu scene because, since the overwhelming success of the NES twenty years ago, console manufacturers recognize the vital financial importance of maintaining absolute control of the game content that appears on their systems.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

which is odd, as the success of the xbox can be partially traced to its hackability, the PSP's success will also depend on it

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    which is odd, as the success of the xbox can be partially traced to its hackability, the PSP's success will also depend on it
    Alas, there's no way to accurately measure how many Xboxes were purchased by mod-savvy pirates--uh, gamers, and the 360 will apparently be much less susceptible to jiggery-pokery. Privately, some MS folks might admit that the Xbox's hackability was a system-selling "feature," but publicly, never.

Besides, MS doesn't make money from hardware, it makes money from software--and people with modded Xboxes are renting or borrowing games, not buying 'em.

Does the PSP's long-term success or failure depend on its ability to run homebrews and emus? Not at all. It's just a damn cool "feature."

-- Z.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Wouldn't it make sense that if a game is going to require you to update your firmware, the firmware update will be on the game disc? I am willing to bet that this is what we will see in the future.

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the exact thing that I was worrying about.

I would love to play emulators on a PSP, but I would also love to play current up to date PSP games as well. But the risk of playing those games would be kinda significant.

There is going to be a need for a list on some website that states which new releases have been tested on whether or not they will kill your emulation ability.

It might come down to actually needing to seperate PSP's. One for emulation and one for playing current PSP games.

Kinda similar to the XBOX and XBOX live. Alot of XBOX junkies have 2 XBOX systems, one of them totally tricked out and modded, and one normal, for XBOX Live use.