Thread: Considering a DS.....yea/nay and games?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Considering a DS.....yea/nay and games?

Okay, I've got a chance here to splurge on myself a bit. With my job going well and money coming in at a steady basis, I have a wonderfull chance to make some good money this weekend.

There's a big project at work, a bunch of stuff needs to be QC'd and it's very easy. The pay is time and a half, or $18 a hour. I plan to go in for several hours both Friday and Sat (my normal days off) to get as much as I can, and about 8 hours should net me about $100 after taxes (I'll try to put in a little more.)

Combine that with some savings, and selling my GBA SP on EBay or Amazon (that should net around $50 or so), and I can do something that I've been considering -- picking up a used DS and some games at my local EB.

The question is, do I even want to? I hear it's a lot better for playing GBA games, and I have a PSP as well, but unless I missed some new games, not much out grabs my intrest for a DS. I need to buy at least three games before I'll get one (as I did with the PSP). The new Mario game does'nt intrest me, nor does Feel the Magic.

I'm mostly interested in adventure, strategy, RPG, and simulation games. I know there's some good RPG's coming out eventuly (like Lunar and FF 3), but what are some good games I could get with the system NOW? Is the new Metroid game out yet?

Thanks in advance.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not worth it... yet, but there is good games slated to come out in fall. I'd hold out until then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got one at a mom n pop gamestore for 100 bucks, if you find one at that price, then go for it. Feel the Magic is a breath of fresh air.

but i wouldnt bother selling the SP at this point

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my honest opinion, a DS is nice, but you can only play single player GBA games and nothing else (Since it cannot use the GBA Link cable if you normally play 2 player games and such)...

yet you do get a sweeter picture for GBA games, but the only thing that kind of bothers me, is it's stuck in a frame like image (Does not take full advantage of the 3 inch DS screen) It remains in the original GBA size screen.

You do however, get the choice to play the GBA game on the top or bottom screen.

Now as for DS games, the library of solid titles won't emerge until October to late November time frame,

So far these are the only titles I really like at the moment

Mario 64 DS
    Feel the Magic
    Ridge Racer
    Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
    Retro Atari
    WarioWare Touched
    Kirby: Canvas Curse
    Goldeneye Rogue Agent

and Bomberman DS was just released of course.

For the love of god, stay away from "Yoshi's Touch & Go", it sounds fun, but it feels more like a demo then a real game..

So you have about 9 titles at the moment for DS that are just downright awesome.

It's up to you, if you have an SP now, I wouldn't rush it, since SP has already a massive amount of titles, plus have you played Wario Ware Twisted yet? Pretty insane...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Considering a DS.....yea/nay and games?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I'm mostly interested in adventure, strategy, RPG, and simulation games.
    Just from that statement alone I would wait on it...but then again you did buy a PSP and theres not much on that system either for those categories (Untold Legends aside).

If you decided to get one you should definitely pick up these games:

Kirby Cavas Curse - Awesome all around with good replay value.

Pac-Pix - Yeah so its a high score game, but its a damn fun one.

Wario Ware Touched - I kind of wrote this one off myself...even after loving the orginal I didn't see why I should get this game. But after playing it, I have to say it's better than the original.

Other good titles to pick up:
    Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits - Typical Mr Driller game.

Zoo Keeper - Yeah, there is a version of this game online, but the DS version has a bunch of modes and multiplayer on 1 cart.

(I also would have mentioned Mario64 DS and FtM, but you said you weren't interested.)

There is a good bit of stuff coming this year for the system, but I also wanted to point out the release of Meteos this coming week...it should be a great game.

But like I said before, you might want to wait on the system for a while...maybe until the fall (thats not too far away ).

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Definitely get one. Admitedly some games seem to hit with some people and miss with others (notably PacPix, Yoshi and Kirby) so it really depends if you're into that sort of game or not.

As for what to get, I highly recommend these (and not all are out in the US yet, but you can find them in Europe or Japan otherwise)

Super Mario 64 (especially if you never played the N64)
    Kirby Canvas Curse
    Yoshi Touch n Go
    Pacpix
    Polarium
    Wario Touched
    Electroplankton
    Another Code
    Devilish
    Puyo Pop (but it's almost the same as the GBA version)
    Mr Driller
    Zookeeper
    Meteos
    Bomberman (mostly the multiplayer of course)
    Feel the Magic

Advance Wars and Nintendogs are out in August as well.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't buy it. Put that money aside in a savings account for the next time you're in financial peril.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    Don't buy it. Put that money aside in a savings account for the next time you're in financial peril.
    Thats a pretty funny way of saying dont waste your money lol

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was also considering buying a DS, but decided to wait. I like Nintendogs, but there needs to be at least one other killer app before I commit. There are so many good SP titles that I'd rather spend my money on.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Point taken for the PSP but I did GET three games for the system -- Untold Legends, Metal Gear Acid, and Lumines.

I'm sure I could find three games for the DS if I looked hard enough.

But yeah, all the good stuff seems to be coming out in late summer and the fall. No wonder it's not selling well. Where are the games?

I'll just take a wait and see attitude about it. If I can snag one at a good price, I planned to get one eventuly and I don't see a price drop happening before Christmas.

What about must get accesoiries? Something like a headphone adapater, or a battery recharger?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you dont need a headphone adapter, nintendo thankfully went back to using a standard headphone jack. the AC adapter is the same one the SP uses, (i would also assume the battery is the same as well)

again, dont buy a new one, shop around town, if you see one at a great price, then pick it up... (120 is not a good price, as a new one nets you a 30 dollar game for free)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the DS is totaly worth it, but the best 3 games I can reccomend based on shat you want are definitly kirby for the platforming part, star wars for an action/kinda rpg game 9its a great game btw), and really...there are no strategy games out for it now, but Ido reccomend getting wario, yoshi, or mr.driller.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would definitely recommend getting a DS, I've been really enjoying mine although of course I never had a GBA so I've been playing those games as well but so far I've got 3 GBA games versus 6 for the DS, so the DS can't have as many bad games as people say. As a first game I definitely recommend WarioWare Touched. It uses all the new functions, is very fun and lasts longer and is less repetitive than Project Rub/Feel The Magic. A nice little puzzler to get is Polarium. You said you like adventure games well Another Code has just been released (today in fact, I'll have to pick it up next week) and thats meant to be very good. On the adventure front I'm also looking forward to Lost In Blue, a kind of desert island survival game

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by demen999
    Oh no, I really like the DS. I was trying to provide some serious wisdom or something.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by demen999
    It's a practical way of saying a few months ago you were so broke you told us all you wanted to kill yourself, so take some common sense steps to prevent a reoccurrence.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I say nay. You just got a PSP. Download the emus for it and have fun with that. I too am tempted to buy a DS sometimes, but it's really hard to justify the purchase to myself when I have all these other games lying around, I already have a current generation handheld (PSP), and there arent really any must have killer app games for the DS that I'm dying for. You either, or you wouldnt be asking for game reccomendations.

I'm guessing that your problem is that there are no cool new PSP games coming out for awhile, and you are jonesin' for some new handheld games. Just be patient man.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I would recommend against getting a DS based upon the criteria you listed. It has a handful of good games, but none for your genres of choice.

But for the same reason, I would have also recommended against getting a PSP... so I could be wrong about the DS.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    No wonder it's not selling well.
    Haha. Trust me: It's selling well. Maybe you're just not noticing.

And just for fun, here's my list of 3:
    • Kirby: Cursed Canvas
    • Super Mario 64 DS <-- now bundled
    • Feel the Magic

I haven't play PacPix, Polarium, or Bomberman yet, but I have a feeling any of those could take a place up there... And I know Hunters is only a demo, but I'll be damned if it isn't a blast to play.

Anyway, that's all I can do. Though, from the sound of it, the extra money might come in handy elsewhere; only you can make the right decision.