Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite RPG Battle System

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to add a vote for Baten Kaitos' battle system. The combination of card battling and turn based combat works extremely well, and the combat never gets old.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    Probably the most strategic and mathematical battle system is actually the one from FFX. Most of the game is pretty easy, but once you try to kill those uber arena monsters, things get pretty damn complicated. But I like that. I like to be made to think beyond "smash the enemy for a while and then heal." You could clearly see and plan your next several moves in advance, as everyone had a set turn according to their respective agilities, with modifiers like Haste and Slow. And you *have* to plan several turns in advance on some battles to survive. Yet at the same time, everything moved extremely fluidly. It was a nice change of pace to the tired old ATB system.
    I could not agree with you more! For the first time in all my RPG playing experience I played with ALL the characters. For example my favorite game is FF6. It is so much fun, however towards the end Terra, Umaro, Shadow and Gogo are badass while a few are medium and Strago, Relm and maybe a couple others are just garbage. Not because the game made them weak, but because i did not like them/care to level them up. FFX was the first game that made each character indispensible. I have not yet seen any game do that. Also, switching in and out was a blast...yea it made the game a little easy, but when it comes down to it for me it is about how much fun i have with the game and not how many times i have to start over because i lost to a boss... in fact if it has been a while since my last save i will not be able to pick it up and continue for a couple days.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MuppetMaster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Favorite RPG Battle System

Grandia II. Hands down
    Gotta have it all!!!

My Game Collection:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably the most strategic and mathematical battle system is actually the one from FFX.
    I take it that PC style RPGs aren't being taken into consideration. In terms of complexity and sophistication, Final Fantasy's battle system is a joke compared to Fallout's.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grandia II
    How come nobody's showing love for the original Grandia? After all, Grandia 2 was actually a step down in the battle system seeing as you couldn't level up multible weapons for your characters.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Probably the most strategic and mathematical battle system is actually the one from FFX.
    I take it that PC style RPGs aren't being taken into consideration. In terms of complexity and sophistication, Final Fantasy's battle system is a joke compared to Fallout's.
    I'd argue that the Final Fantasy battle systems are a joke to PC AND console RPGs. ;)

Seriously, though, PC RPGs and console RPGs play entirely different, and I don't think it's even fair to compare them. Neither is 100% factually better than the other. It all comes down to preference. I personally have absolutely zero interest in PC RPGs. They don't even feel like RPGs to me since you're just running around and hacking away at whatever crosses your path in most of them. At the very least, I like to be transported to a separate battlefield for duking it out, otherwise I just feel like I'm playing an adventure game like Zelda (although some games do a good job at making a structured battefield right where you stand, like in Chrono Trigger or Quest 64).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Which reminds me, I don't think it would work well for any other game but I love the battle system for Paper Mario. It really emulates the gameplay of the plateformers in a structured turn based sort of way. I also love the fact that the chatacters don't have limitless amount of health, you really have to be careful and plan your battles down to the last hit point.
    agreed, it is simplistic in terms of rpg battles, but the time based button pressing and low hp amounts makes it fun!

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favourite is the traditional turn based system of Ultima, Wizardry, and Might and Magic. The Dungeon Crawlers bring me the satisfaction of knowing I can fully calculate each round of combat; so long as I am on top of my characters and their progression, as well as the monsters, stat wise. I am usually able to visualise the entire round and watch it play out to a T. I am very fond of the punishing mathmatics in these early systmes as well; for me it created a "no nonsense vibe" . In other words I enjoy the Dungeon Crawlers because they spank my bottom when I misbehave.
    Just a fool from Hyrule. Swingin' in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My personal picks are:

The materia system of FFVII: one of the most customizable battle systems, and one of the best by far. Each character had the ability to have counter attacks, first attacks, apply elemental attacks to their weapons, re-healing, etc. Some of this features can be seen on other FF's, but this one was one of the best systems.

I liked a lot Panzer Saga.
    FFIII is one that needs no explanation.

I love both Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, but Fire Emblem is more challenging, the way you level up your weaker party partners is unique and more fun. Having a skilled and tougher partner in the game , like a general helps a lot too

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Am I the only one that thinks making every character have the same abilities is stupid? (Materia, Draw, etc) They completely rail the uniqueness of the character, and while FF7 was able to get away from it a bit, I still had barrett casting KotR at the end of the game, and that really doesn't make sense.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Grandia II
    How come nobody's showing love for the original Grandia? After all, Grandia 2 was actually a step down in the battle system seeing as you couldn't level up multible weapons for your characters.
    I was wondering the same thing. I love both games, but prefer the original in nearly every respect.

The Legaia games have good battle systems, too.

Strategy RPGs-that should just go without saying considering they are all about the battle system.

Fallout had a clever little system as well (except for the crappy teammate AI, of course), and some exceedingly violent deaths as a bonus.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Grandia II
    I was wondering the same thing. I love both games, but prefer the original in nearly every respect.

The Legaia games have good battle systems, too.

Strategy RPGs-that should just go without saying considering they are all about the battle system.

Fallout had a clever little system as well (except for the crappy teammate AI, of course), and some exceedingly violent deaths as a bonus.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorites are out of the way. Here's one that drives me nuts. Any RPG where the enemies grow stronger based on your levels. What sadist thought that concept up.

I love the Lunar games, and the Sega CD version is one of my all time favorites. Lunar Complete rules, but sweet damn I'm not spending all that time leveling up just so my enemies can get harder to kill.

Final Fantasy 8 does the same thing. I can see part of the allure of that one being the ability to "beat" the system and just dominate every creature they throw at you, but it's one of the few RPG's that you can screw yourself over with crappy character management.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

final fantasy III and kingdom hearts

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played any of the older tales games but i'm a fan of the battle system in tales of symphonia. Kind of a cross between turn based and action rpgs. Chrono Trigger has a nice one too. I like any rpg where you can see the dudes you're about to fight. I still love the games but all the random battles in Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star can get pretty annoying after awhile.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite battle system would have to be the Chrono Cross battle system. I like it. Complex, yet at the same time, very simple. Good mix of stuff. My favorite RPG though, is Final Fantasy V.
    An emotion as such tells you nothing about reality, beyond the fact that something makes you feel something.

-- Ayn Rand, "Philosophical Detection," Philosophy: Who Needs It

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like the battle system of Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2. It is a good mix of collecting and real-time action. I found myself looking for hours for just a few awesome cards.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just the straight up turn based, I like it better than real time like Kingdom hearts, I think you can plan strategy better with you characters. So I guess the early Final Fantasies, the ATB style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default battlesystems

i have always been very fond of the Dragon Warrior style