Thread: Need Help, my NES micro machines game doesnt work....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need Help, my NES micro machines game doesnt work....

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question but I just bought a Gold Cart of Camericas Micro Machines Game on my NES. I cleaned the contacts really well and when I plugged it in to my NES it looked like the screen loaded fine but was blinking. I see the screen load and hear sound but the flashing doesnt stop. On the back of the cart there is a piece missing I think and it has some contacts...does something plug in there I didnt know about or what? If someone can help thankyou.
    Speed Kills but Strength Punishes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might be wrong, but I believe on those carts there was a red button there. I'm not sure how that would affect the game though. Do you have blinking problems often on your NES? Cleaning the system's contacts may help.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Need Help, my NES micro machines game doesnt work....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla
    On the back of the cart there is a piece missing I think and it has some contacts...does something plug in there I didnt know about or what? If someone can help thankyou.
    My copy has this as well, and I've wondered for ages what the hell it's for. Mine runs fine without it, so it's not essential, whatever it is.

Unless you've got your NES modded (clipped the lockout chip), the screen's going to blink at least once before the game boots, due to the way the lockout is circumvented. More than that, and you should probably be cleaning your system...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most emulator fans don't realize this, but Micro Machines is not correctly emulated in any NES emulator, except one: Nintendulator. Yup, your favorite NES emulator isn't as accurate as you thought. Hence the importance of getting your Micro Machines cart working

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing on the back is an 'A-B' switch. Reads something like 'Only put in position B if A dosnt work'. Mine works on A, but it took a fair bit of cleaning and fudging with to make it go.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine has the contacts on the back as well. I takes quite some time but it does work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well my NES is very clean I do take pride in that. Thats one of the reasons for my concern. Most of my games are just plug and play in my NES no blowing or wiggling. I guess I'll spend more time cleaning it and trying to place it in my NES in a way that makes it work. Its just so odd. The purple codemasters screen comes up looking great only to repeatedly come up over and over while my NES blinks. Thankyou for your tips....I hope if I can get the games working it will be fun to play.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well my NES is very clean I do take pride in that. Thats one of the reasons for my concern. Most of my games are just plug and play in my NES no blowing or wiggling. I guess I'll spend more time cleaning it and trying to place it in my NES in a way that makes it work. Its just so odd. The purple codemasters screen comes up looking great only to repeatedly come up over and over while my NES blinks. Thankyou for your tips....I hope if I can get the games working it will be fun to play.
    Sounds like the lockout defeater isn't working. Most likely you've got an NES that's too new a revision...try it on a couple other systems if possible, or clip the lockout chip if you're getting desperate and it should work just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

i have quattro sports, which has the same cart, and in my nes it only works with the switch set to A, but in my famiclone it works on both. i dont know why yours doesnt have a switch.. plus they carts are very temperamental, they must not be designed very well or something, mines clean too, but it's still a bastard to get working. just keep trying, the contacts are clean but i reckon they use some kind af really crap metal for them, cos i used a plastic scourer (non conductive equvuivilent to steel wool) to take the entire surface off them and it still acted like it wasnt clean, needs to be pulled out and reinserted a few times before it runs properly.

that flashing though sounds alot like it's a lockout problem, you might have to kill the lockout chip in the end.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do I clip the lockout chip? Also is this going to Damage my NES? I never mod my systems in any way because I worry that I may damage them or they wont run right. Anyway thanks for all the help, very awesome.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreak97
    i have quattro sports, which has the same cart, and in my nes it only works with the switch set to A, but in my famiclone it works on both.
    The carts we have don't have a switch, button, jumper, what-have-you. Just a small set of extra contacts...I can take a photo if anyone wants to see. =P

How do I clip the lockout chip? Also is this going to Damage my NES? I never mod my systems in any way because I worry that I may damage them or they wont run right. Anyway thanks for all the help, very awesome.
    http://www.neshq.com/hardware/mod/lockout.txt

Assuming you do it right (don't try it if you have any doubt...seriously, I don't want someone complaining they can't play any NES games now ) you should be able to run all unlicensed and foreign carts (except Famicom carts...those need an adapter).

It also makes your system never blink. Games might still not boot if they're dirty, but it'll never blink again. I did this on my system, didn't even bother grounding the pin...works just fine.

Good luck if you decide to attempt it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have all 3 quattros, and they just don't work anymore. :/ And they're all great games too.....