Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which game secret/easter egg remained hidden longest?

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gadz
    For all those wondering about the metroid code, it's :

NARPAS SWORD0
    000000 000000

and thats for infinite life and missiles.

You're welcome =)
    Umm, I beat you to it a few posts up

Speaking of a secret that has never been found (to my knowledge):

Run Saber (SNES)

There is a Game Genie code which unlocks an extra options menu. I'm thinking there has to be a button press to unlock it. Maybe the same one as Super Valis IV (or another Atlus published game)?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    KLOV mentions 2 secret codes for arcade NBA Jam that have yet to be revealed: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...N&game_id=8813

• The original NBA Jam machines (with version 1.0 of the code) contain a secret Battlezone-style mini-game that can be played without using money! This secret was deemed unethical by many of the video game magazines of the time, and magazines like EGM and Gamepro were specifically asked not to publish the code. Both magazines agreed, and to this date it is the only video game code that is considered "taboo" by the press. This mini-game was removed in the next update of the machine code.

• It’s possible to enter a code that allows the cheerleaders to be playable characters, but the codes were intentionally made complex since their existence did not please the NBA. As a result, the information has never been released, and to date none have been found.
    If these codes came out, it would be the coolest thing ever. Has anybody hacked the rom to look for it? I know thats how a lot of the more obscure codes are unearthed.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

I had no idea so many codes had yet to be found...

And thanks for that Zelda link, but I think I remember hearing about it a long time ago, before 2003... but where did I hear it? Was it in my Zelda LTP guide?

No... it's not there...

Also must try metal Gear code. Funny bastards at Konami!

And yes, the Contra: Hard Corps secret is true. IT HAS BEEN FOR AGES. But you forgot to mention it plays Vampire Killer!

Still cool stuff, though. I like what you guys have shown me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

It took awhile for the Pokemon community to learn about the legit glitch in Pokemon R/B/Y to get Mew. That didn't involve the truck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was much younger, I found out that if you put in the password "earlfartfart" on Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron on the Genesis, the credits would play, before giving you the "bogus password" message usually associated with an incorrect password. I thought that was hilarious, until I later discovered that if you have either "tj" or "earl" at the beginning of a password, and then anything at all filling up the rest of the space, the credits would roll. Too bad it didn't require the "fartfart" part; that was my favorite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The one which took the longest is the code to unlock the four bosses in the Super Nintendo version of Street Fighter II. The game's been out since '92, and no one's discovered it yet.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You can put strings of gibberish into the Metroid password screen, and you've got like a 50% chance of it doing something. "Justin Bailey" was a coincidence.
    50%...you are exaggerating, right? I know Metal Gear had some issues, but I have never gotten a Metroid code to accidentally work.

And the Justin Bailey code is no coincidence, iirc. I think IO remember reading that there is a crapload of codes that are "exceptions" to the checksum routines for valid passwords. I believe this is one of them.

Also, it has been said that the programmer put this in to mean "Just in bailey," meaning, "Just in bathing suit." Bailey is an oooold word for a bathing suit. A bit much for a coincidence. Of course, it can be argued that's a bunch of bull...I just think it's unlikely. I'm pretty sure I remember reading once that particular code was intentional, but I could be wrong.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    The one which took the longest is the code to unlock the four bosses in the Super Nintendo version of Street Fighter II. The game's been out since '92, and no one's discovered it yet.
    Probably because it doesn't exist. There was a Game Genie code from a long time ago that allowed you to play as the bosses, but it didn't work right (i.e., the boss move sets were of whatever character you picked, not what they were in SF2CE).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default r

I suppose if you linked about 1000 game genies together, you could "unlock" those bosses.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    The secret I discovered years ago on how to get 28 P-wings in SMB3 without having to beat the game first, has got to be the record. And no, I'm not telling anyone (and I hope no one else has discovered it and posted it on the net or else my harbouring of this secret for all these years will have been moot).

P.S.-here's one hint: you get the 28 P-wings (well it's technically 27 and a whistle) in the hidden mushroom house at the end of 1-3, IF you do all the right things leading up to that point.

...And for the record, no I don't care if nobody believes me. I just think that it's beyond cool that I discovered a secret (glitch?) in an incredibly popular game that I have never read about or seen mention of in the 15 years since the game was released.
    Okay... I need a few answers: Are you lying? Which versions does the secret work on? Are you lying?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default r

<coaxing to spill the beans>He's definitely lying.</coaxing to spill the beans>

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting Mew legititamitlly in Pokemon Red and Blue remained hidden for seven years. But then again that's more of a glitch then an easter egg.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    The secret I discovered years ago on how to get 28 P-wings in SMB3 without having to beat the game first, has got to be the record. And no, I'm not telling anyone (and I hope no one else has discovered it and posted it on the net or else my harbouring of this secret for all these years will have been moot).

P.S.-here's one hint: you get the 28 P-wings (well it's technically 27 and a whistle) in the hidden mushroom house at the end of 1-3, IF you do all the right things leading up to that point.

...And for the record, no I don't care if nobody believes me. I just think that it's beyond cool that I discovered a secret (glitch?) in an incredibly popular game that I have never read about or seen mention of in the 15 years since the game was released.
    Okay... I need a few answers: Are you lying? Which versions does the secret work on? Are you lying?
    It works on all US versions. I've never tried the jap version. Coincidentally, some guy on the NES boards at Gamefaqs just recently stumbled upon it by accident but he couldn't duplicate it. He did however try and describe exactly what he did leading up to it *hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge*.

It's easy to replicate every time if you know how, but it's HELLA HARD figuring it out. When I initially stumbled upon it in my youth, it took hours and hours of replaying the game up to 1-3 over and over again just to make it happen a second time to convince myself it wasn't a one in a million glitch.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    Getting Mew legititamitlly in Pokemon Red and Blue remained hidden for seven years. But then again that's more of a glitch then an easter egg.
    True, but it was a secret that Nintendo knew about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got

JVC Turntable $20
    Subwoofer AIWA $27.99
    pokemon stadioum $2.99
    gaiares for genesis $8.00
    splinter cell chaos thedry game guide $15.99 x-box
    splinter cell chaos thedry for x-box $26.99
    sega genesis 2 for $24

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It works on all US versions.
    Even the All-Stars versions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    It works on all US versions.
    Even the All-Stars versions?
    I don't know, but I doubt it. I'm talking about the NES game.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Putney
    Probably because it doesn't exist. There was a Game Genie code from a long time ago that allowed you to play as the bosses, but it didn't work right (i.e., the boss move sets were of whatever character you picked, not what they were in SF2CE).
    I dunno about that. To many it looks like the Game Genie partially unlocked the secret. Think about it, is there any other game ever where the Game Genie let you play as someone whom you couldn't normally choose from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno about that. To many it looks like the Game Genie partially unlocked the secret. Think about it, is there any other game ever where the Game Genie let you play as
    someone whom you couldn't normally choose from?
    I haven't tried it in a very, very long time, but I remember the colors were off, the animation was glitchy, etc. It struck me that the code simply replaced the sprites of the character you chose with the boss character you picked. If I remember correctly, there was a code for each character to use. I'm sure there would be codes out there to, say, swap Mario with Luigi, but no one would have really cared about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I dunno about that. To many it looks like the Game Genie partially unlocked the secret. Think about it, is there any other game ever where the Game Genie let you play as someone whom you couldn't normally choose from?
    All game genie really did was replace the character sprite. SF2 bosses weren't playable, period, until CE.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives