Thread: elite (nes)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default elite (nes)

Sorry for this post as I know it will have been done but what is this game worth and was it released in the US? I tried to google it but putting elite in a search is like putting sex in. anyway ive just picked up an unboxed copy for £3.

I think its a bit sad that Ian bell has not gone on to make any other games.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think this was PAL release only. About £3 seems right. Payed about the same for my copy.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I'd love to play an NTSC version. The emulators have mapper errors with Elite, making it pretty much impossible to play. I got to play the PAL version for about 5 minutes at the Game On exhibit in Chicago, and that's it. You guys are lucky!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on the elite website you can get the rom and he tells you how to play it correctly.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by grayrobertos
    on the elite website you can get the rom and he tells you how to play it correctly.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/
    Hey, thanks! I'll have to give this a try!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A complete version of this game went for over $200 once. I nearly shit my pants. I never realized it was so rare.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drummy
    A complete version of this game went for over $200 once. I nearly shit my pants. I never realized it was so rare.
    Yes but that were just some people bidding against it's other. If someone offers me 200$ for my complete copy, I sell it immediatly. I think 20 euros is more reasonable.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: elite (nes)

Quote Originally Posted by grayrobertos
    I think its a bit sad that Ian bell has not gone on to make any other games.
    I just checked out Bell's website, and I had no idea that he and David Braben hated each other's guts, or that their gut-hating prevented the development of a PlayStation version of Elite. Crazy.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a version of Elite that runs correctly on an NTSC NES? It actually runs correctly on the more accurate NES emulators: FCE Ultra, Nestopia, and Nintendulator... but you will have to make sure that the game is running in PAL mode in your emulator. I wish the game was officially released in the USA, because it is absolutely awesome! I still play it to this day! True 3D graphics on the NES. WOOHOO! Not to mention the fact that the gameplay is awesome.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeh it is an awsome games, some of the things that have been said about the next metroid make me think that it will have an elite mentality about it. It would fit.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, there is no true NTSC version. There is one ROM which one of the two released (I forget which one, though, but I know it wasn't both, because of their falling-out) that has some in-game text referring to "NTSC EMULATION", but as far as I know that ROM only works on Nesticle, and IIRC only if you modify the number of HBlank cycles within Nesticle. Basically, the "NTSC EMULATION" Elite ROM is junk in today's time.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't it just possible to play the PAL version of Nintendo games on the top loading Nintendo systems. At least I have heard that the Smurf game is playable through that means.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: elite (nes)

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I just checked out Bell's website, and I had no idea that he and David Braben hated each other's guts, or that their gut-hating prevented the development of a PlayStation version of Elite. Crazy.

-- Z.
    I know - it's a sad thing indeed. Braben carried on making games though - in fact his company (Frontiers) gave us Darxide, and A Dog's Life amongst others.

It is a shame that their collaboration had to come to such a sour end. Especially considering the staggering achievement that it was to make a game like Elite at that time.

It's great that people still recognise it as a great game today - but the sheer feat of pulling this game off on its original platform, a BBC Microcomputer with just 32K to play with ... it just beggars belief. I remember when it first came out, seeing the shots and the reviews and being barely able to believe what they were saying.

8 galaxies of planets, each with its own characteristics, inhabitants, governmental system, species? The combination of the fantastic action play along with the trading too ... I am sure that extensive play on Elite honed my business skills at an early age!!!

These things seem paltry now, but it was a whole new world at the time. Rather aptly, I suppose.

Long live Elite!

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous