Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are any game systems now much better than the DC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are any game systems now much better than the DC?

Graphically, I really don't think so. I remember being so amazed at the transition from the 8-bit gaming world to 16-bit with the Genesis and SNES. The graphics really made me say "WOW" when I saw them. Then from the Snes and Genesis to the Saturn, N64, and PSX I was "wowed" again. Then the DC came, and once again I was amazed. Then the PS2 came and it really didn't seem much different graphically. Well, nothing to make me think the DC was out dated. Now the Gamecube and X-Box. Is it just me, or are there others that just aren't all that amazed anymore? Don't get me wrong, these systems are no doubt powerhouses with absolutely incredible graphics, but I just don't get that "wow" feeling like I used to. I don't want to give the wrong impression in that I am only looking at graphic capabilities, because some of my favorite titles come from the 8-bit world, but just for the sake of argrument, has anyone been "wowed" graphically AFTER the DC?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Resident Evil 0... and then Zelda. Pick that jaw up, it's a whole new game once you're into it and watching the graphics move right in front of you...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'd say NO.

Sure, Resident Evil 0 and Splinter Cell have breathtaking graphics and Zelda spot-on smooth cel shading but are they SIGNIFICANTLY better than Dreamcast? I didn't think so. The reactions I had to these games were nothing like when I played Soul Calibur or Jet Grind Radio (the Dreamcast versions of "breathtaknig graphics and spot-on smooth cel shading).

So far, you're really not missing too much, Bruce. I own all of the new systems and still my Dreamcast gets the most use

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have all of the new systems as well, and none have " WOWED " me in terms I was use to either. But I love every one of my new machines. I was sort of not into gaming as much as I use to be for a little bit. Then I saw the Dreamcast with the new NBA2K outside of an EB, I said holy shit look at that. I walked in the store that same minute and bought a DC and the baskeball, and I wasn't even much of a basketball fan or video game player at the time. I was in such awe that I had to have it immediately, and never looked back after. It rejuvenated gaming for me at that time.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

If the question is are the newer systems "much better" then I'd say no. But I do think they are better. If I had to rank the current generation of systems in order (i.e. my best to 'worst') I'd definitely put DC in 4th place (out of DC, GC, PS2, Xbox - I don't compare the GBA to consoles).

To be honest I'm generally wowed only by my first purcase of a new generation. For me that wasn't a DC. But the machine I did have first I wouldn't have ranked #1 in that above list anyway.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the transition from DC to PS2 is comparable to the transition from NES to SNES or NES to Genesis, simply because, as far as I'm concerned, the DC is the same generation or stage of consoles as the PS2 anyhow. Now go back and look at a PSX and then look at the dreamcast and see if you get that wow feeling. You may, or you may not. But I did.

Just me 2 'ere govrner...

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My PS2 and DC get the most use now myself. The graphics still amaze me at times with both systems regardless of age.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have to say "no". While the consoles now have more oomph to make the graphics better, it hasn't been a major step up graphically like NES to Genesis/SNES, SNES to Playstation, etc. While there have been some games that are just stunning to look at, if you look back at games like Soul Calibur those games are put into a more realistic perspective. Alas, after Dreamcast I haven't been "wowed" graphically since. I've been "wowed" by the depiction of scenes in the game and the events going on at the time (good example, the portal guardian in the cathedral in Time Splitters 2-THAT made my jaw drop seeing this behemoth CROUCHING trying to get at me).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, graphics wise, it's not been a huge leap like past generations.

But, the Xbox has upped what a machine can do besides just display pretty graphics (hard-drive, high speed internet, awesome sound).

So, it's a big jump for me going from Dreamcast to Xbox just because of the additional features available. I love not having to switch out memory cards & Xbox Live is unbelievable.

Visually, the GameCube has impressed me the most out of the 3 new systems. You'd think it'd be the Xbox just because it's technically superior, but the GameCube has released better looking games so far.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

What are everyone’s top games that influenced “DC Graphically better” decision?
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know that I agree that the DC is graphically better, but I don't think it's that much worse than the newer ones.

I honestly can't see a big graphical difference in the DC version of DOA 2 compared to the Xbox one. There's a difference, but it's not like going from Super Mario World to Mario 64 or anything.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I remember getting the DC on release day and picking up Sonic. Watching that first opening video with the tidal wave...I nearly wet myself. Sure, the PSX had CG/FMV, but they were so grainy. And the rest of the games---there was so much dialogue in the games now! They became more intimate.

PS2 came out, with the first games, it was like..."Ok, they hyped it to be so much better" But here's X game on DC that looks way better. Not to mention, a release game, Silent Scope was faster on the DC than the PS2.

As far as Resident Evil 0, Zelda. Remember how awe inspiriting RE: Code Veronica and JGR was? Two of my favorite games.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    What are everyone’s top games that influenced “DC Graphically better” decision?
    Yeah, I never said DC was "graphically better". The question was are game systems now much better than DC, and to THAT, I say no. They simply lack the WOW factor that DC had when I saw its games.

But take a look at Splinter Cell, I don't think I've ever seen graphics THAT impressive on any game system. Still, it seemed more a slow and expected progression, unlike the DC's BAM-it's 1999 impact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know... I don't think the new consoles are all that big a jump from the DC either, but I've got a theory, of sorts, about that...

Once the move was made to 3D games, and even in 2D, you can only make things so detailed before you start to reach the limits of what the TV screen can show you. Use a monitor, maybe it gets even nicer.

The real jump should be when you move to HDTV (has anyone here been playing HDTV games?), because now you can reach a higher level of detail. I don't know if even the XBox -- which I know has games using higher modes -- can push HDTV yet, but the next gen of systems might be able to.

And of course, the only thing more wow after that -- when you can push so many polygons that you fill the pixel limit of HDTV -- is when you can apply textures/etc that make the games look less artificial. Then it's up to less tangible things, like better facial expressions, lip-syncing, fabric & hair movements, physics, etc, which won't necessarily be very "wow" because you won't even notice, they'll be so real (in least in the good games).
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My experience with the GC was the exact WOW factor you're all
    talking about. Saw the Res 0 opening sceen and thought it was
    really cool but then I played the game Holy crap.
    Sure it's not a technical leap but "The Games" are what make a system
    and I want a GC just for R.E 0 (and PikMin )

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I honestly can't see a big graphical difference in the DC version of DOA 2 compared to the Xbox one. There's a difference, but it's not like going from Super Mario World to Mario 64 or anything.
    Super Mario World has better graphics than Mario 64. Those early 3D games were ugly as hell.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, and X-box are all the *same* generation. Naturally there's not much difference. Wait until PS3,GC2,Xbox2, (DC2?) come out in 2005/6 and you'll be going "WOW" again.
    :scatter: :scrambleup: :turn-l:
    FAVE SYSTEMS: Atari-VCS/Commodore=64/C=Amiga/Super Nintendo/Playstation2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've said it sooo many times that the DC has more power then the ps2, but I like the ps2 more because of the games.

As for best power to games ratio the GC wins with a 3 punch knockout - Mario, Metroid, Zelda.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own an Xbox, PS2, and a Gamecube.. What's getting played the most currently is Gamecube and Dreamcast.

However, I mainly play emulators on the dreamcast, I rarely play any actual "Dreamcast Games".

And that's just the facts. To me, all consoles are the same. I'd sit and play Xbox for the next year if it had a game I really liked. It's all good

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<cough> All of them <cough>
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5