Thread: Comparison: Wonder Boy in Monster World vs. Dynastic Hero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Comparison: Wonder Boy in Monster World vs. Dynastic Hero

As I make myself known to these forums, you’ll learn very quickly that I’m a HUGE fan of Westone’s brilliant, beautiful Monster World series, which consists of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap (Monster World II), Wonder Boy in Monster World (Monster World III) and Monster World IV. While the original games appeared on Sega systems, Hudson Soft ported all but one of them to the PC-Engine/Turbo Duo with slight cosmetic changes.

Over the weekend I finished the Genesis original that I had slowly been playing bit by bit over the last week or two and immediately started the Turbo Duo version (almost finishing it in one sitting). So I got the idea to write up a comparison piece on the two. Will anybody care or benefit from this information? I don’t know, but it’s occupying some time while I sit here bored at work and that’s all that matters to me… so here we go!

Graphics:
    Both games look nearly identical. The color palette is a bit different between the two; the Genesis version seemed brighter and more colorful whereas the PC-Engine version seemed to have a deeper color set. However, the Genesis version gets the slight edge for a couple of reasons. First of all is parallax scrolling; while not frequent, it’s something that is missing in the PC-Engine version. Secondly, and probably more important, are the previously mentioned cosmetic changes. The main character, the princess, the helper characters and the bosses have all been redrawn. The redrawn bosses look pretty good and the helpers and princess look decent, but it’s the main character that suffers the most. Outfitted in what I can only guess is a suit of beetle-inspired armor; poor Dyna looks pretty dumb compared to the blue-haired Shion. The helmet is what does him in. Obviously, this is a matter of personal opinion but what I can say, and what I feel gives the Genesis version the easy win based on the redesigned characters is that they’re obviously of different design than everything else in the game. The original characters are more cartoon-like and fit with the rest of the games
    cute characters and colorful backgrounds.

Sound/Music:
    The sound effects are identical in both games. The music between the two versions is vastly different. The Genesis version has an excellent soundtrack by Shinichi Sakamoto, who composed the music for all four Monster World games. The PC-Engine version has an excellent CD audio soundtrack. Now I’m sure you’re thinking “Well, the PC-Engine version will be the clear winner here,” but you couldn’t be further from the truth. Yes, the CD soundtrack is great; in fact it’s some of the best work outside of Falcom’s games for the system. However, the CD soundtrack lacks the charm and melody of the Genesis version. Fans of the previous games have no doubt caught themselves humming along with the catchy tunes and it’s no different here. These songs are catchy, they’ll get in your head and on top of that, there’s also a remix or two of previous Monster World songs (notably the Dragon’s Castle theme). I’ll declare a tie here because both soundtracks have something to offer. Rest assured that if the original music had been arranged for CD audio, the music comparison would have been one sentence long.

Misc. Changes & Extras:
    Here’s where I’ll go over what’s changed and added in the PC-Engine version.

First up, all the game text is different. The text in the Genesis version is pretty much just there. It’s bland, but it does its job to clue you in on what you need to do next. The PC-Engine version (well, the Turbo Duo version, since here I’m comparing the English text) has a lot of extremely amusing dialogue. Here are some examples: “Poor today, eh?” when you can’t afford an item, “Buy something or I’ll sting you!” “Good morning! Bedbugs bite? Go get ‘em!” Maybe it’s not so amusing to others, but it’s definitely a LOT more colorful than the Genesis English text.

Next up, in the Genesis version, each shield you get has a different visual graphic. All but the final shield in the PC-Engine version look the same (and on a Super CD-ROM² no less, shame on you Hudson). I guess this could have gone under the Graphics section.

The PC-Engine version has an animated introduction sequence with an accompanying vocal song. The Japanese song is pretty catchy, and I usually don’t like Japanese pop-sounding songs. The English song is excellently cheesy, but loses points for being recorded over one of the in-game tracks (a village music, I believe) as opposed to an original composition.

The Genesis version has one save slot. The PC-Engine version has four.

One of the villages in the Genesis version is a dragon village. This is changed to a bee village in the PC-Engine version (I guess there’s a big theme going on here with the faeries, beetles and bees, more obvious if you see the character artwork in the Japanese manual). The bees in the village look pretty much like faeries with hats that have bee eyes on them. I like faeries though and one of them offered to sting me.

In tune with the change of the dragon village, your dragon partner is now a bee (faerie) partner. She’s actually a bit more useful as she can fly; but like the other helpers, she’s generally not that helpful.

When you beat the fifth boss in the Genesis version, he turns into the Prince of Dark World and clues you in on the REAL source of the problem in outer space. Once you get there and face the final boss, you are unable to damage it. The Prince appears, heals you and sacrifices himself to penetrate the boss’s defenses. In the PC-Engine version, after the fifth boss nothing happens except for the curiously placed force-field outside the entrance to the sky castle is gone. Once you go into outer space and face the final boss here, your helper friends sacrifice themselves to penetrate the boss’s defense system and heal you. I felt this was much better personally.

The final boss itself has been severely neutered in the PC-Engine version, removing the buzz-saw and conveyor belt that makes the final battle in the Genesis version a royal pain the ass.

The ending is slightly different; the PC-Engine version involves the revival of your friends while the Genesis version is just typical “Thanks for saving us!” text. Both involve the respective princesses subtly confessing their love for your character. The credits take place before the ending in the Genesis version and are simply a text scroll. The credits take place after the ending in the PC-Engine version and are of the fade-in/fade-out variety with an nicely animated Dyna running through the various locales of the game, coupled with large character art of your friends and the princess.

The Verdict:
    Look, they’re pretty much the same damn game (and what a great game it is). The Genesis version’s graphics and music in my opinion feel more true to the overall style of the game as opposed to the PC-Engine’s but the PC-Engine
    does have slightly more interesting dialogue and some neat extras. The Genesis version can be found quite easily and for $1 or $2. The Turbo Duo version (switching up the name to talk specifically about the English release) is the single rarest Turbo Duo title, some (like myself) wonder if
    it actually exists.

Hopefully somebody enjoys this and if you haven’t played either game, get one and play it! It’s a fairly short game but it’s one of my personal favorite series that seems to be largely unnoticed (thought I do see we have a Dragon’s Trap shop here on Digital Press, so somebody out there knows the greatness).

If anybody is interested I can write-up a list of changes from the arcade Wonder Boy in Monster Land to the PC-Engine port, Bikkuriman World. There’s not much to compare so it’s really just a list of things that were changed. The PC-Engine version of Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap, known as Dragon’s Curse in American and (confusingly enough) Adventure Island in Japan, is pretty much better than the Master System version in all aspects.
    It’s the EXACT same game with improved graphics and sound (and save slots).
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome comparison!

Check your PMs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Screenshots would be great if you could provide some of Dynastic Hero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    Screenshots would be great if you could provide some of Dynastic Hero.
    Here are some shots of Dynastic Hero:
    http://www.emucamp.com/monsterworld/...creenshots.htm
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wonderboy in Monsterland was one of the first video games I ever played. I loved that game along with Dragon's Trap. It's too bad I never really followed the series past the Sega Master System days. I should track down the Genesis version and give it a try.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Comparison: Wonder Boy in Monster World vs. Dynastic Her

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    ... The Turbo Duo version (switching up the name to talk specifically about the English release) is the single rarest Turbo Duo title, some (like myself) wonder if it actually exists...
    Actually it does exist . I'm getting one in the mail hopefully soon. I can post some screen-shots if needed. The link you provided is practically the only screen shots available on the net....
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Plucky Little Ninja
    Wonderboy in Monsterland was one of the first video games I ever played. I loved that game along with Dragon's Trap. It's too bad I never really followed the series past the Sega Master System days. I should track down the Genesis version and give it a try.
    First thing you should do is play the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land; not only is it 100 times better than the Master System version, it happens to be my favorite of the entire series.

After that, yes, play the Genesis version!! Then play Monster World IV.
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhiohki
    Actually it does exist . I'm getting one in the mail hopefully soon. I can post some screen-shots if needed. The link you provided is practically the only screen shots available on the net....
    Oh my God. That'd probably be my Holy Grail if I ever found one. I do have the Japanese one though. I did make a ton of screenshots though because I played the game in Magic Engine based on possibly doing a Monster World site; I've got all the new bosses and a bunch of pictures of the ending.
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my God. That'd probably be my Holy Grail if I ever found one. I do have the Japanese one though. I did make a ton of screenshots though because I played the game in Magic Engine based on possibly doing a Monster World site; I've got all the new bosses and a bunch of pictures of the ending.
    Yeah, it exists alright. I've got it, it took me a year and a half of intense searching and I still paid out the nose for it.

When I got it though, I had the game beat in 3 days. All in all, I loved it! Still haven't played the genny version, but DH is one of my favorite turbo games and ranks well among the SMS Wonder Boy games. The graphics and playability are excellent.

Rhiohki, the one you bought in that ebay lot still hasn't arrived yet? I hope its complete and in good shape, it was tough to tell from that pic.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The bee thing probably has to do with Hudson Soft, since their logo is a bee (and plus, in many Hudson games, there is a bee hidden somewhere - look at their NES port of the original Wonderboy for instance). Also, this is the first hit on Google image search for "hudson soft bee":

As you can see, someone at Hudson obviously had/has a bee fetish =P

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geddon_jt
    Yeah, it exists alright. I've got it, it took me a year and a half of intense searching and I still paid out the nose for it.

When I got it though, I had the game beat in 3 days. All in all, I loved it! Still haven't played the genny version, but DH is one of my favorite turbo games and ranks well among the SMS Wonder Boy games. The graphics and playability are excellent.

Rhiohki, the one you bought in that ebay lot still hasn't arrived yet? I hope its complete and in good shape, it was tough to tell from that pic.
    no, not yet. I figured you would be watching it . I spent in total $600 with shipping. It was however just shipped a couple days ago, since I sent the money order late and the seller was on vacation. She sent it expedited mail and I have a tracking number so I'm not too worried. As far as condition goes, let's see. It was complete from the picture. I saw the manual, and you hardly see games that are incomplete based on missing the BACK INSERT, so I'm fairly certain it's complete.

The only thing I really wanted from that lot was the DH and the Duo. Not even the duo really since I already have a Super-CD Rom2 and CoreGrafx, I just figured I didn't have one so it made the ebay auction sweeter. I can sell everything else. I'll still come out ahead. The bonk 3 is worth 80-90 alone on the ebay market

So, I'm guessing if I sell the bonk 3, the Grafx/CD and Express and other games, I'm hoping make about $300. That leaves $300 for a Turbo Duo and the DH, or $150 spent for each item. Well worth it if it's in Near Mint condition. Even if it isn't, I'm sure I can re-sell the DH but I most likely won't
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel