Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 to be $400 (unofficial)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4 had better come out on the Revolution, too.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, another system I won't buy at launch. Well above my spending limit.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... I think I should wait and see what turns out to be actual release games. Thats whats going to decide it for me.
    (PS3, ONE game, Memory Card will equal 500ish... yikes)
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well thats something i wont have at launch, unless there is one killer game i must have. in the case of the 360 i am buying it at launch solely for elder scrolls 4 oblivion.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have they announced a price for the 360? Sorry ive been out of it for a few weeks.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently, the price for the 360 will be $299.

The most interesting thing to me about that article was Kutargi claiming that people lined up overnight for the PSP and they sold out on their first day. While that is true -- in Japan -- they also didn't make nearly enough product to satisify demand, thus forcing people that wanted it immediately to wait like that.

If the Revolution is going to be a lot cheaper, I think Nintendo should start dancing in the streets. The price of the PS3 will be very high and will therefore turn consumers off, and it isn't like Microsoft has got too many Japanese gamers excited yet. It seems that this could be a huge opening for Nintendo...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    Apparently, the price for the 360 will be $299.

The most interesting thing to me about that article was Kutargi claiming that people lined up overnight for the PSP and they sold out on their first day. While that is true -- in Japan -- they also didn't make nearly enough product to satisify demand, thus forcing people that wanted it immediately to wait like that.

If the Revolution is going to be a lot cheaper, I think Nintendo should start dancing in the streets. The price of the PS3 will be very high and will therefore turn consumers off, and it isn't like Microsoft has got too many Japanese gamers excited yet. It seems that this could be a huge opening for Nintendo...
    I hope nintendo has good marketing for this gen, really...that would kick so much ass

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: PS3 to be $400

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943
    To clarify, this article discusses unofficial speculation by Merrill Lynch Japan; Sony has NOT officially announced a PS3 price point. MLJ also assumes that the Xbox 360 will sell for $299, but that price point hasn't been officially announced, either.

That being said, MLJ are gin-u-wine economic experts, and their numbers look pretty damn solid to me.

-- Z.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are some insane numbers!

Oh and die Sony die.
    Kirby's my bitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

*runs to wal-mart to buy super discounted PS2 and XBOX games on launch day*

I just dont play enough to really put that much $$$ into a system at launch (well not anymore at least)

PSN: SouthRox

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... There is no way in hell my woman would let me get one for that price. No way in hell.

Yeah. She rules the checkbook... Wanna fight about it?!

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats actually not that bad a price, I was expecting it to be more for the PS3 and more than 299 for the XBox 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default 400 bones

i will still get one...but that still sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time do what I've allways done. Wait a couple of years for good games to come out, then drop to GH or under $20. Then find a decent used system. So for me the next gen is a good 2 years away.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As Zach said, unofficial. I know a bunch of people doing corporate research - unless you have past links with a company (say Zou Marketing/Nike China) it's impossible to get data that accurate.

The $494 per unit seems plausible, and even a 40000+ yen launch in Japan, but I can't see Sony USA putting a 400 dollar product out the door. Better just to sell at a bigger loss for the first six months but not meet full consumer demand so that when everyone finally buys the system, Sony's loss isn't as great. So, yeah, basically what happened in 2000.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[opinionated prediction]
    Watch the Revolution be the lowest cost and outsell 360 and PS3 at lauch due to lower cost.
    [/opinionated prediction]

Nintendo tries to keep it's prices down as much as possible which is at least one reason why they've survived so long.

GC has been $100 for quite a long time while XBOX & PS2 are still over $100. Seems to me that GC titles probably carry more resale value than PS2/XBOX games.

My reasoning is, if someone mods their PS2/XBOX system and can copy/DL games, why keep the real ones? They can get some quick cash for them at a pawn shop. Not the case with GC. You're pretty much stuck using only legal games for it.

Seems to me that probably helps game sales since they don't run rampant online for free. But at the same tmie, it's probably hurt the GC system sales overall. You have to give Nintendo credit for avoiding widespread piracy on the GC though.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was $500.

However, even at $200, it would be too much for my broke ass. Only a tri-Ace game can convince me to fork out hundreds for a system, and in that scenario, I'd likely be importing a Japanese console. I STILL don't have a US PS2 since Sony is being such a tight ass about dropping the price. A $100 PS2 is LONG overdue, in my opinion. The original PlayStation came out in '95, and by '99, it was 100 bucks. The PS2 has been out since 2000, so... WHERE'S MY DAMN $100 PRICE DROP? XBox needs another price drop too. :/

So yeah... who the hell knows when I'll get into the next generation... I may have to wait well into the coming generation before I can seriously get into this current one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRuxpin
    Nintendo tries to keep it's prices down as much as possible which is at least one reason why they've survived so long.
    Could you cite a few examples of Nintendo's low-price strategy, other than the (incorrect) one you offer below?

GC has been $100 for quite a long time while XBOX & PS2 are still over $100. Seems to me that GC titles probably carry more resale value than PS2/XBOX games.
    The GC was dropped to $99 remarkably soon after its launch because it wasn't (and still isn't) selling as well as the PS2 or Xbox. If the GC was #1 in the North American market instead of #3, it wouldn't be at a $99 price point. The PS2 and Xbox fly off the shelves at $149.

As for resale value, GC titles are produced in smaller quantities than PS2 and Xbox titles, and the GC has a harder-core audience than the other systems--not that the resale value of used games benefits Nintendo (or any other hardware or software manufacturer) in any way.

Seems to me that probably helps game sales since they don't run rampant online for free. But at the same tmie, it's probably hurt the GC system sales overall. You have to give Nintendo credit for avoiding widespread piracy on the GC though.
    So the GC isn't selling as well as the PS2 or Xbox because of piracy? That theory isn't supported by software sales, since there are far more best-selling PS2 and Xbox titles than GC titles, when you're arguing that shouldn't be the case.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the PS3 can really play Blu-Ray High Def movies, without any special add on, then $400 is a freaking bargain.

Personally, I don't see how it would be possible. Not this spring. Maybe November 2006. Maybe.

Blu-Ray DVD movie players are supposed to come out this X-Mas, and they are going to cost in the neighborhood of 1 grand.

So how the hell do they put that in the PS3, along with all of the other PS3 technology, and then sell it for $400? Even if they don't launch in the U.S. till November 2006.

As for it being way to expensive, sure, nobody is looking forward to parting with $500 on launch day (system + one game + tax). But if Killzone really looks like that demo, and Killzone is available that day, then I will rob a bank to buy one if I have to.