Thread: broken/loose controll sticks on n64 controllers

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default broken/loose controll sticks on n64 controllers

Hey Ive found a way to fix this and I will fix yours in trade for boxes and manuals for games.lmk if interested. or read below

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well spread the knowledge, this isn't a spam e-mail infomerial forum.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    Well spread the knowledge, this isn't a spam e-mail infomerial forum.

what happens is you get "slack" in between the bottom of the "shaft" on the stick and the ball at the bottom.IT works almost like a shifter in a car your shift bushing wears out and your car shifts like ass ,same goes for the controll stick what you must do is afix somthing on around the top of the ball to make up the slack and you need to trim the bottom of the stick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried, and it's nigh impossible, short of actually replacing the analog switch component with another. The rails that the stick sit in, wear down (making a white powder), and eventually there is so much play in the rails, that the stick is useless.

I make some spare cash doing repairs for game stores and the like, but I share all I know here.

I believe a free exchange of useful info to fellow gamers/collector's is the spirit of this forum. That, and for a trade and shipping, most people are better off simply buying another controller.

I'd love to hear what you've discovered, autobotracing.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im still seeing if the new design holds under abuse {e.i. mario party}
    Im using a different item this time to fix i this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a pile of N64 controllers with worn down sticks. Literally. I'd be happy to help test the reliability of this fix also. Many of the ones I've seen not only have a badly worn stick (fixable with a dremel), but the rails themselves that the stick rides in have far too much play between them, destroying the responsiveness of the stick.

Rest assured, if it does not stand up to harsh use, I won't blame you. The sharing of knowledge is always good. I've tried putting tape on the rails, but it wouldn't run smooth enough, without sticking. It was a no go. :-(
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I've got a pile of N64 controllers with worn down sticks. Literally. I'd be happy to help test the reliability of this fix also. Many of the ones I've seen not only have a badly worn stick (fixable with a dremel), but the rails themselves that the stick rides in have far too much play between them, destroying the responsiveness of the stick.

Rest assured, if it does not stand up to harsh use, I won't blame you. The sharing of knowledge is always good. I've tried putting tape on the rails, but it wouldn't run smooth enough, without sticking. It was a no go. :-(
    Id be happy to buy them from you for testing .

I did the tape thing too but no go it wore out and was not smooth .my newest test Is holding up quite well Ive been playing the hell out of goldeneye .It seem the stick is slightly stiffer than a new stick but not so stiff it wears your thumb out.Once I get more units for testing I can try different styles.I guess I need to stick to one project at a time so Its going to be the controller fix project for now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thabks for the offer autobotracing, but I need them for parts, as I regularly do repairs for local game stores.

If I could fix the anolog sticks though, wow, the ratio of 'fixed' to 'parts' controllers would increase favourably.