Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ico...I don't get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ico...I don't get it.

I recently acquired and played through Ico. I know there's alot of hype behind this game, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I just don't get it. Aside from the absolutely beautiful environments and architecture, the game is just plain bland. For a puzzle game I was expecting at least a bit of challenge, there was only 2 points (early in the game) where I got stuck, and only because I didn't quite realize that Yorda could jump so high if you reach down to her. The rest of the game was just straight through, without even a hint of puzzle solving.

On top of that the camera angles were just aweful (when you needed them, not when they were just showing off), the fighting sequences were disturbingly boring, the story was shallow, and there is zero replayability.

Really, and here's where I'm gonna get flamed , Tomb Raider did it alot better.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll kind of agree with ya. But Ico was also released what, 5? 6? years ago?

Games have come along since then that borrowed elements from Ico so we've gotten used to them. But the environments and mood/setting is still unprecedented.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    eh WHAT? i'd say more like 2 years ago
    -Jan

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    eh WHAT? i'd say more like 2 years ago
    Came out September 25, 2001 in States...so almost 4 years ago
    Currently collecting Amiga games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So are you saying that they hadn't come up with fun and exciting gameplay until the past few years?

Face it, it was just another game that had all the "ooo's and aaahs" in the visuals but was nothing special gameplaywise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I still really dig ICO. It was the game that showed me the PS2 would have more than PSOne games with prettier graphics...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That white girl drives me crazy.. When it came out it was amazing though.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game drove me nuts. I played it for one torturous hour and gave up. having to yell at that bitch every 5 seconds so she wouldn't wander off was just too damn much.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Wandering off

Quote Originally Posted by ddockery
    This game drove me nuts. I played it for one torturous hour and gave up. having to yell at that bitch every 5 seconds so she wouldn't wander off was just too damn much.
    Grab her hand and yank her with you

There is an old 8 bit game called Whistlers Brother where you have to guide an absent minded character around a few dozen platform screens. You do this by whistling every few seconds.

Kinda like Marco Polo huh

VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I'm not saying it was all about the graphics. Ico was one of the first games to have the one-button-does-what-you-want interface. Push the X button near a chain, he climbs, push it near a ledge, he goes up, or down, near a boulder, he pushes it. No matter where you were when you pushed X, Ico did what you were thinking and what you wanted.
    Same thing with helping the girl, instead of fumbling and trying to figure out how to give her a hand, you just push a button and the game knew that's what you wanted to do.

This system was revolutionary back when it came out, but a lot of games have used similar systems since then and we've gotten used to it, making Ico a little less innovative if you were to play it for the first time now, after having played all of the games released since then.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I'm not saying it was all about the graphics. Ico was one of the first games to have the one-button-does-what-you-want interface. Push the X button near a chain, he climbs, push it near a ledge, he goes up, or down, near a boulder, he pushes it. No matter where you were when you pushed X, Ico did what you were thinking and what you wanted.
    Have you played computer games before 1994 or so and VCS games? They all relied solely on one button, the way it was meant to be ;)

I didn't think ICO was too easy though, I still haven't finished it yet. But then again, I'm not a good player :D It's a great game though, I like that it doesn't need a HUD and the graphics/animation is just great. The only really annoying thing are the black smoke creatures which pop up too often :/
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Ico's simplicity is one of the things that makes it such a great experience. Yeah it's pretty straightforward, but it has a real sense of place. It really is a throwback to a lot of the older adventure games. A genre which has almost completely fallen off the map in the last decade.

I love the sense of isolation that I feel when playing it. You exist in this huge world that's really only populated by three people, one of whom could snap you like a twig if you weren't more than a petty annoyance to her.

I also love the way that Yorda catches on to what you're doing as the game progresses. After dragging her ass around for a few hours she actually starts climbing and making jumps on her own.

The biggest problem with Ico is that it has definitely been overhyped. I had heard it was an enjoyable game before playing it, but I've read countless opinions on how great an experience it is since. I can see how it's getting to the point where people's expectations far exceed the actual game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ico is similiar to Shenmue in that most gamers either love it or hate it.

I also dont think that its been overhyped it is a beautiful game to look at and the ease of control is great not that the game itself is easy.

I can understand many ppl not understanding or "getting" Shenmue but when it comes to ICO well its a masterpiece of video-game artistry and Shadow of the Colossus will be even better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games have come along since then that borrowed elements from Ico so we've gotten used to them. But the environments and mood/setting is still unprecedented.
    I disagree with this assertion a lot. I don't think "the puzzle" was invented in 2003. There were plenty of games that played like Ico well before it came out.

I wouldn't even say we're living in a golden age of video games. Newer doesn't mean improved in my book.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    and Shadow of the Colossus will be even better.
    Yes, let's sing the praises of games we haven't even played yet shall we?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Ico...I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    I recently acquired and played through Ico. I know there's alot of hype behind this game, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I just don't get it. Aside from the absolutely beautiful environments and architecture, the game is just plain bland. For a puzzle game I was expecting at least a bit of challenge, there was only 2 points (early in the game) where I got stuck, and only because I didn't quite realize that Yorda could jump so high if you reach down to her. The rest of the game was just straight through, without even a hint of puzzle solving.

On top of that the camera angles were just aweful (when you needed them, not when they were just showing off), the fighting sequences were disturbingly boring, the story was shallow, and there is zero replayability.

Really, and here's where I'm gonna get flamed , Tomb Raider did it alot better.
    well, Im not gonna comment, people have their opinions about games but ICO is still my favorite game of all time, it is the only "perfect" game in my opinion.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i, too, bought ICO used and long after it came out. there was a huge thread about it a year or so ago, where everyone claimed it was great, and one member(whether jokingly or not) claimed to have cried at the end. so, for $5 i gave it a shot.
    i thought it was ok fun-wise, and very easily completed, though the environments were nice to look at. the thing was, the game didn't grab me, and its by far not my favorite ever. when Yorda dropped me, i didn't care. at the end, i didn't cry. it was good enough to play throguh, but its hardly a genre defining game or one that i'd insist everyone play. maybe for its time it was fantastic, but now, there are games that have surpassed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    I disagree with this assertion a lot. I don't think "the puzzle" was invented in 2003. There were plenty of games that played like Ico well before it came out.
    Nowhere have I mentioned anything to do with any puzzle. I'm talking about the fact that the game knows what you're trying to accomplish by walking up to something and pushing a button in an intuitive manner.

Think I'm gonna have to bail on this post though, apparently absolutely everything that I've typed has been taken the completely wrong way.... maybe I should re-read what I've typed here or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think it's an outstanding game but I think that's because it just seems to suit my taste, i haven't finished it yet so thanks qbertandernie for spoiling it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    i think it's an outstanding game but I think that's because it just seems to suit my taste, i haven't finished it yet so thanks qbertandernie for spoiling it.
    Nothing is spoiled, because you really don't play a game like this for the story, that's like me telling you you beat Dr Willey in Megaman. But, I find it hard to believe you call a game outstanding when you haven't finished it, considering its a 5-8 hour game.